Solar Tracking System

More
03 Nov 2012 07:06 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Solar Tracking System
Forum Home > On the Road > Solar Tracking System

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From John Hendricks:

No doubt many OKA owners have solar on their roofs. Most are fitted flat to reduce wind drag and some are fitted over the cabin at an angle.
You would also be aware of the fact that to get the full efficiency from your expensive panels you would need to track the sun at different positions during the day.
Well, CampaTracka is a site that would answer all your questions in this regard. David Harvey is a real nice bloke and very helpful. He is based in Cowra NSW and has been building these self tracking devices for the last three years and exports all over the world.
If you would like more information from David, visit the his website here.
May 25, 2010 at 9:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From David Ribbans:

>> You would also be aware of the fact that to get the full efficiency from your expensive panels you would need to track the sun at different positions during the day. <<

John, in principle I fully agree, but to do this requires the solar panels to be on a moveable/rotating frame.
I would prefer my panels to be solidly mounted for robustness on outback tracks and to add a few more watts to take account of the loss of efficiency.
However, the CampaTracka system would certainly be useful for a fixed location stay.
Regards,
David
May 25, 2010 at 9:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Peter_n_Margaret:

Even in a fixed installation, spending the $$$s on another panel is much better value. Nothing to wear out or to stop working.
WHEN these things stop working, they are pointing in the WRONG direction until fixed.
No contest in a mobile application.
Cheers,
Peter
May 25, 2010 at 9:45 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.