OKA Prototype stolen !!!!

More
03 Nov 2012 11:40 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: OKA Prototype stolen !!!!
Forum Home > Recent Updates, & Forums/Website Queries > OKA Prototype stolen !!!!

OKA NT Sales
The original OKA prototype was stolen in the early hours of Saturday 5th May in WA. Please advise Andy at OKA (0420-755009) of any sightings or rumours. The vehicle is still in original condition - with the patina of 25 years of wear and tear. It represents a unique piece of automotive history.

This matter is under investigation by WA Police and anyone found dealing or receiving this vehicle will be liable for criminal prosecution .
--

May 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James & Usha (THEByleDuct)
Administrator
Incredible! I just checked and no it is not April 1. With such a small number having been built and such dedicated enthusiasts who in their right mind would steal an OKA let alone #1??? We'll keep our eyes peeled in Karratha. Hope she is returned soon and in original condition too.

--
OKA #072

May 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Garry & Chris
Bloody hell who would steal and OKA? It's not as if it blends in

May 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA NT Sales
GUYS IT SHOULD READ XT 1!!
--

May 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
For a second I thought Susi and Ruedi lost their OKA.......phiew!!!,I didin't think XT 01 was registered,maybe is like art theft,keep it in the garage and look at it every night!
Cheers,Joe
May 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
I think it's actually #0 - pretty sure #1 is in bits in Tasmania. Anyway it doesn't quite look like an XT - this is the vehicle in question -

Definitely a unique piece of automotive history. I didn't pinch it and I expect neither did York Motor Museum, which is where it belongs, so I really hope it is recovered.
--
Hal

May 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aussie Bight Expeditions
Hi Guys,
Robin Wade told me years ago they went from the first unit, now stolen and did not do #1 at all. Robin actually owns the fist XT model which was the factory demo that he purchased and still owns today and that they actually start with number 2 and the other was just called the proto type.
Sad and disturbing to see such an icon go missing, as it could never go on the road, to unique.
ABE Tony
--
May 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
Was told it was going to Malaysia to be put in a private collection never to be seen again. Stop this vehicle from leaving our shores. This is an important piece of AUSTRALIAN MOTORING HISTORY, and belongs in an AUSTRALIAN Museum. Not a Private Collection. All OKA Owners need to scream out loud about this vehicle and keep it on our shores when it is found.
--
David Hallandal
OKA-131 Home Page
OKA Camper Trailer
XT and LT Service Manuals on CD For Sale
20mm Spring Hanger Upgrade Kits For Sale

May 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete Fox
I can't think of any reason for 'stealing' it other than to stop it going out of the country.
Pete
--
Peter Fox

OKA 266 Multi-cab.

Photobucket album

May 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
No laughing matter, BUT funny you should say that Hal, I was just thinking that it looked like Robin Wade's truck. haha. WHY???? as Gary says they are pretty unique not like a commodore or falcon, you WILL get noticed. Musn't be very bright.
On another note, Oka 147 is now sold today. Trevor & Christine the new owners, they will be joining this website gave them the details, so when you see 147 on the road it won't be us driving her. We are sure she has gone to a lovely new home and will be well looked after.
Cheers John & Laura
--
John & Laura Szkoruda OKA 147

May 11, 2012 at 5:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Richard & Beverly House
Oka #001 was bought by Safari Treks new when I was driving for them in the early 1990's. I drove it to the Pinnacles and down the 4WD Track to Lancelin many times over the years. It had a bus body with 14 seats and a full length roofrack back then. I don't know what happened to it after that.
Cheers Richard and Beverly
--
Richard and Beverly House Oka 080

May 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
I've just updated the title on this thread to clear up some confusion, but haven't changed all the later posts. It's not really an XT or an NT or #1 - more correctly The Prototype and #0 for the sake of a number, that's missing.
--
Hal

May 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA NT Sales
With the very professional and prompt action of WA Police, I'm glad to say that the OKA (as Hal says #0) was recovered from an address close to the factory a few days ago. She's now back at the factory :-)
--

May 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Good to hear!,Andy will the prototype be going to Malaysia or staying at a museum?
Cheers,Joe
May 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James & Usha (THEByleDuct)
Administrator
That is great news!
--
OKA #072

May 23, 2012 at 6:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Would love to know the story behind all that...
--
Hal

May 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Scherek
Hal Harvey at May 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM
Would love to know the story behind all that...
Yes, me too. Was it altruism or plain thievery that motivated the perpertrator? I am sure we would all hate to think of #00 being taken to a motoring mueum in Malaysia, no matter what the legal rights may be.
May 24, 2012 at 7:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
I found out this morning,it was the same people that got busted last week by Police,their were running a car re birthing racket and the OKA 0 was parked at the end of their driveway in full view from the street......not the smartest thieves by the look of it.
Cheers,Joe
May 24, 2012 at 5:19 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.