278 driveline change update

More
08 Dec 2014 18:01 #21 by Russ Phelan
Russ Phelan replied the topic: 278 driveline change update

The Worb wrote: Hi Russ,

What model and year Isuzu motor did you fit?

Cheers Brian

Not exactly sure of the year as I bought the eng+box on a pallet. But by the engine number it is pre 10/1995.
The engine is a 4HE1-T 4.8litre from Isuzu NQR450. I chose this engine as it is the last of the 4 cylinder mechanical fuel pump engines as well as other convenient things like the alternator,exhaust and air cond. on the right hand side like the Perkins and fuel pump and intake on the left. Some engines are intercooled some not. First appeared in 1994 and went through to about 2004. The later engines have EGR systems.

Instgram @okaruss #okatruck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2015 08:48 #22 by PNG
PNG replied the topic: 278 driveline change update
Russ what gear box the oka spicer ? if so will the bell housing bolt straight on to the Isuzu ? any info would be great as last weekend went up the highlands & yes it's time to upgrade the HP

More
10 Aug 2015 18:13 - 10 Aug 2015 18:45 #23 by Russ Phelan
No PNG. I used the Isuzu box. You will need the isuzu shifter as well. I had some custom shift cables made as the original isuzu ones are way too long.
The gearbox was joined to the rockwell transfer with a slightly longer jack shaft.
This arrangment will be removed soon though and more than likely replaced with a Isuzu 4WD box/transfer.
Yes your comments are still ringing in my ears Darren Webster.:-)

I've just been looking at fuel used on our Tassie trip. Avg was 18L/100km
Tassie is not flat and I was towing although the trailer was not all that heavy.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 Aug 2015 18:45 by Russ Phelan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarrenWebster303

More
11 Aug 2015 05:27 #24 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: 278 driveline change update
Russ when I first went looking for an Oka I drove quite a few different ones and it was very noticeable that XT's drove better and seemed to go better than LT's despite different body configs and weights.
The closest that an LT came to going as well as any of the XT's was one fitted with diesel gas but it still felt "sluggish" if that's the correct word.
You will notice a big improvement when you rid 278 of the Rockwell.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
14 Aug 2015 15:09 #25 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: 278 driveline change update
Ive got the Nissan trans case and it has been through an engineer and was satisfied as the hand brake has to hold on an 7degrees hill .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz, DarrenWebster303

More
10 Oct 2015 08:31 #26 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: 278 driveline change update
Any updates Russ??

More
12 Oct 2015 16:04 #27 by Russ Phelan
I haven't been spending much time on the truck but I have removed the rockwell and i'm about to make and fit a drive shaft from the gearbox to the diff. I need to get it mobile for annual inspection. The isuzu box has a handbrake on the back so I just have to hook up the existing handbrake cable for that to work.( and the speedo sensor)
I'm still undecided about what transfer case to fit but i'm leaning towards an isuzu gearbox/transfer unit if i can find one at a reasonable price.
Looking forward to getting it back on the road. Miss driving it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Outback Jack

More
12 Oct 2015 17:05 #28 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: 278 driveline change update
Russ
If you can find one, I'd be going for Isuzu transfer case.

The layout of the Rockwell means that the rear tailshaft comes out of the box very low and this keeps the tailshaft angle very flat for such a short shaft.

Any other transfer case you fit will probably be a divorced type with a high rear drive exit point, e.g. NP205 but the overall length will be about the same as the Rockwell, making for a steep tailshaft angle which is not ideal.
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0

More
23 Oct 2015 16:00 #29 by Rust and dust
Rust and dust replied the topic: 278 driveline change update
Russ had a little bit to do with Isuzu and Mitsubishi t case both where noisy like Rockwell Isuzu one was in a brand new truck wasn't really impressed I'm personly a fan of the np 205 other option could be nv 271 can be turned over to the rh side good low range ratio extremly strong I'm playing with one to go behind spicer box