#297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)

More
08 Mar 2022 05:58 #2 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Mine came with Bruce Springsteen’s “Born to run” in the CD player.
“Thunder road” was what it started playing.

At the moment it has Redbone’s “Come and get Your Love” stuck in it… and it plays it randomly.
I need to pull that radio.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2022 20:22 #3 by Dave Blythe
Dave Blythe replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Born to run!
With a Perky?
Or maybe you had something bigger under there?
Maybe mine should have "the wheels of the bus go round and round".....
Bring on the 6BT..

More
10 Mar 2022 09:59 #4 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Don't dismiss the little Perky too quickly. They are a smooth, refined engine that suits the Oka every well, from a drivers point of view. With a beefed up turbo they perform very well, unless you plan on towing something big and heavy. They last and last and last....dripping oil all the way!

More
10 Mar 2022 11:32 #5 by Dave Blythe
Dave Blythe replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Entirely agree Paul I will run the truck for a while with the Perky just to see the truth...after all it was intended to potter around mine sites...

More
11 Mar 2022 04:15 #6 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Morts turbo has made a big difference to many trucks 210 went from 55hp to 94.6 366 come up to 104 paid to have installed for about 2k

More
11 Mar 2022 12:03 #7 by Dave Blythe
will keep that in mind, however the plan is to bung an Allison in and change out the Rockwell case. So a Cummins at the same time makes some sense - if not to my wallet....

More
19 Mar 2022 09:56 #8 by Dave Blythe
297 is close to getting registered for the first time ever...Is getting a NSW CTP Green Slip easy? Can't imagine the OKA is a standard choice on any insurers' web site...Any tips?
Dave

More
19 Mar 2022 14:49 #9 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
My tip would be to get it registered in Victoria if you possibly can. It is an all-in-one fee with NO annual roadworthy/pink slip.

Nothing worse than trying to get a pink slip while you are travelling through the Kimberley etc.

More
20 Mar 2022 15:00 - 20 Mar 2022 15:01 #10 by Cuppa
Cuppa replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
FWIW when we almost bought an OKA last year we arranged insurance to go & pick it up with our current insurer Club 4x4 & were amazed at how good the price was. Agreed value was getting on toward double the agreed value of our current Patrol & Tvan set up, but the premium was less than half. We were told that Patrol premiums are high due to them being a vehicle lots of young hoons buy & sink a lot of money into only to be attracted by every stretch of water or mud they can find (my words, not Club 4x4's), ie. a high risk vehicle, whereas the OKA didn't even come up on their list, so they found the nearest equivalent which was considered a 'low risk vehicle'.
Last Edit: 20 Mar 2022 15:01 by Cuppa.

More
28 Mar 2022 16:30 #11 by Dave Blythe
Well, the brown slip aka blue slip for an unregistered vehicle is now done.

A relatively painless 'major service' costing $2700 which I consider to be ok for a 20+ year old barn find type.
Electrics were a considerable expense as no tail lights or indicators were present and the sealed beam headlights were bust.
The *good* news is no mechanical faults were found....at all.....
All fluids and filters changed and the usual safety checks.

So, armed with my QBE CTP ($500 ish) I'm off tomorrow to the RMS see if I can it rego'd.
What could possibly go wrong......
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
29 Mar 2022 09:18 #12 by Paul Scherek
.......What could possibly go wrong......

Did you want the answers in alphabetical or numerical order?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Blythe

More
29 Mar 2022 10:16 #13 by Dave Blythe
At the RTA it was all looking so good.
I had ALL the docs lined up and the guy was just about to hand over the plates when....doh!...he called over the supervisor.
My heart sank.
Yes, the mechanics inspection form was missing a number in a space....the wheelbase was missing!

Hurry back to said mechanic, fill in "2990" in 2 places, hurry back to RTA.
Thanks God they're only 3klm away....
Back to same guy....grab plates and run out before they find some other b/s thing to keep their jobs over.

So there She is - resplendent in first ever rego plates in Her 27 years of existence.

Next....get my Heavy Rigid license later this week....

More
29 Mar 2022 10:20 #14 by Paul Scherek
Congratulations! That is one of life's big hurdles overcome, all good news from here.

Cheers,

Paul

More
30 Mar 2022 13:06 #15 by Dave Blythe
Thanks Paul, hope you're right!
BTW who does your insurance I need some rapidly - not CTP got that.

More
31 Mar 2022 06:46 #16 by Paul Scherek
Ours is a motorhome and is insured with CIL who only do motorhomes. A previous Oka was insured with Shannons after a lot of shopping around. not everyone knows what an Oka is.

I will be interested in hearing your opinion of the Oka once you get around a bit. We had our 'big shop' yesterday, about 250 k's, in the Oka - brilliant, I have never enjoyed driving any vehicle so much, and we have always had good vehicles, not just grey porridge.

More
31 Mar 2022 14:01 #17 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Ken Tame. Motorhome. Agreed value.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
31 Mar 2022 14:19 #18 by OKAPETE
OKAPETE replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
FYI wheel base measurement is incorrect according to the manual specs. It should be 3045mm. A tape measure error I'd say. Pete.

Chaplain. Won x One Chaplaincy.
AM SAE-A. AAFRB.

Oka 383. In process.... Cummins 6bt. Allison 2500 6spd. LOMAX 3:1 205 T/case. Dana 80 F & R.
Oka 358. Van. Perkins. swift turbo intercooled. NP205 conversion. LSD F&R. Camper conversion in progress.
Attachments:

More
01 Apr 2022 08:16 #19 by Dave Blythe
very interesting OKAPETE, well picked up. Where did you get that image? I found the specs of the new NT wheelbase was as per your pic but assumed they'd grown it from the LT days.

33mm does matter, as you know...

More
01 Apr 2022 08:20 #20 by Dave Blythe
This week's achievements:

- OKA is now registered
- I passed my Medium Rigid license test

This week's frustrations:

- No bugger will insure my OKA unless it's a motorhome

Useless fact:

Ken Tame (KT) Insurance and Club 4x4 are both in the same building and owned by Envest, a private capital business
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
01 Apr 2022 09:08 #21 by Paul Scherek
Did you try Shannons?