#297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)

More
01 Apr 2022 09:08 #21 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Did you try Shannons?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2022 16:01 #22 by Peter and Carla #396
Peter and Carla #396 replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
All that information OKAPETE sent you and more is in your workshop manual section 12 Body.
Cheers Peter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, Dave Blythe

More
01 Apr 2022 17:56 #23 by Dave Blythe
Dave Blythe replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Shannons will be Monday's to-do - ran out of time today :)

More
01 Apr 2022 19:04 #24 by OKAPETE
OKAPETE replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
The pic is a screen shot of page in LT manual.

Chaplain. Won x One Chaplaincy.
AM SAE-A. AAFRB.

Oka 383. In process.... Cummins 6bt. Allison 2500 6spd. LOMAX 3:1 205 T/case. Dana 80 F & R.
Oka 358. Van. Perkins. swift turbo intercooled. NP205 conversion. LSD F&R. Camper conversion in progress.

More
02 Apr 2022 12:39 #25 by Dave Blythe
Dave Blythe replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Paul - can you tell me what's the camper on your Avatar pic?
I'm taking mine back to a UTE/tray back and searching slide on/demountable options....well, all options!
DAve

More
02 Apr 2022 13:16 #26 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Dave, on the single cab Okas the chassis flex is noticeable while driving, even on a smooth road, and I found it quite annoying. It is known as the "single cab bobble". It doesn't happen on any of the multi-cab/bus options.
For this reason I removed the tray and made a body out of composite panel that bolts up to the same chassis and rear-of-cab mounts as the other modules.
An extra benefit of this is it is cheaper than a slide on, and lighter than all but the smallest slide-ons. Oh, and it is fun building the thing!
Paul

More
03 Apr 2022 04:55 #27 by Dave Blythe
very interesting but not welcome news Paul - about the bobble that is....

would you be able to send over a few pics of your build and perhaps dimensions?
I may need to go the DIY route as slide ons to fit the small base OKA arene't plentiful.
Dav

More
03 Apr 2022 09:20 #28 by Paul Scherek
Bolting the body to the cab completely stopped the bobble, so it is quite an easy fix.
Here are some pictures, but our set-up may not suit everyone. It is more complex than really suits the Oka, but we are old enough to be lazy and want comfort. It is still light at 4.7 tons road-ready with a 6 cylinder engine, but it is a bit of a complex build.
If you are handy with a computer though, it is just a matter of drafting up each panel with all holes etc and sending the files to a company who then cut all the panels to size with all cut-outs for windows etc. Then it is just a matter of gluing the panels together, a bit like a 3D jigsaw.
Length is 4 metres, width 2.1 metres, internal height 1.9 metres.
Cheers, Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Blythe

More
03 Apr 2022 12:19 - 03 Apr 2022 12:22 #29 by Dave Blythe
Paul this is absolutely fantastic! The inside of Dr Who's Tardis looks tiny compared to your OKA!
And the rear deck for sundowners, jeez that's good!!
Very inspirational I shall ad this to my universe of possibilities.
That said my Mrs is keen to get the OKA travelling and so there's time pressure which might mean an off the shelf solution.
Thanks again for your pics and explanation, very kind.
Dave
Last Edit: 03 Apr 2022 12:22 by Dave Blythe.

More
04 Apr 2022 07:22 #30 by Paul Scherek
Thanks Dave, yeah, we like it, but I agree with your wife - the one you have and can use is always better than the one you might have in the future......
But if you do decide to roll-your-own, happy to help with any advice you need.
Cheers, Paul

More
04 Apr 2022 15:58 #31 by Dave Blythe
Has anyone done/investigated a chassis cut and extension?
Another 300mm or so would give me much wider choices for slide ons.
I do see several firms advertising anywhere from 300-600mm chops for regular UTEs such as Amarok etc.
Of course it would require engineering and what not.
Anyone?
Dave

More
05 Apr 2022 05:58 #32 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Dave you can move the rear spring mounts rearwards to the end of the existing chassis which gives approximately 250mm extra (not sure of exact amount, others will chime in) which in turn allows a longer rear overhang/body to be mounted(about 440mm applying the 60% formula). Most engineers will be happier with that than a cut and shut. You then extend the rear of the chassis with either a bolt on or weld on extension to support the longer body.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
05 Apr 2022 08:25 #33 by Dave Blythe
Thanks Peter - I'm a slow learner so let me see if I have this correct.

Moving the back spring mounts rearwards avoids chopping the chassis but still extends the wheelbase
One can then extend the chassis rearwards to the 60% rule.

Remaining of course are the prop shaft and various hoses/cables.

Interesting, I'd not considered this.

Will put feelers out.

Thanks!
Dave

More
05 Apr 2022 08:42 #34 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
That's correct, tailshaft, diff breather and brake lines would need extending.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
05 Apr 2022 17:14 #35 by Dave Blythe
Right then...next topic to budget for - long range fuel tanks....what are people using please and any related info I should bear in mind. Location/size/material and if/how multi tank solutions are connected/monitored or.....help educate me please (LT UTE about to get the tray removed too if that helps). Like to be able to get 300 L +/- on board total.

Thanks!
Dave

More
06 Apr 2022 18:26 - 06 Apr 2022 18:30 #36 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
www.oka4wd.com/forum/for-sale-wanted-all...water-tanks-for-sale
OKA-077 is getting 200L fuel on outside left, 130L water inside left, 200L water outside right (plus 70L grey water outside right), already fitted.
Still to come behind the rear axle where the spare was will be about 120L fuel, plus 60L fuel and 60L water (3 tanks). All in rotomoulded PE tanks. These tanks will be wedge shaped, about 1050mm long. I have moved the rear cross member back, but not changed the wheel base.
Total = fuel 380L plus water 390L +/-.
I am fitting a Pollak valve to select fuel tanks and switch the gauge.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 06 Apr 2022 18:30 by Peter_n_Margaret.

More
07 Apr 2022 07:19 #37 by Dave Blythe
Very thorough Peter and I'm resisting the urge to say "many tanks" for your post :)

Probably my tank needs evolution is at a early stage and will develop as I gain experience.

I'm at the "don't know what I don't know" level.

Research and education mode.

....back to Google....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Scherek

More
07 Apr 2022 10:07 #38 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
The volume of fuel obviously determines how far you can go between fills and that can save some $$s, but generally we tend to carry too much.
Water on the other hand determines the level of comfort while you are there and it is diffcult to have too much. Rate of usage is determined by where you expect to replenish supplies. Shower every day or one day in 4?
The smaller tanks (60L of each) will be our "reserve supplies" of each.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
16 Apr 2022 06:47 #39 by fran philipson
fran philipson replied the topic: #297 - 20 years in a shed - time to wakey wakey :)
Hi Dave, Welcome to the Oka world. We have Oka 238 with a steel tray with a North Star slide on camper. Where the cab would normally be we have a large aluminum box fitted. This is just legal length behind the rear axle.
A lot of OKA owners have aluminum fuel tanks built by Chris 126 at Kununurra . They fit where the standard tanks go and come with new mounting brackets. Hold about 160 L each side. This has proven to be plenty of fuel for al the long trips we have done.
Our OKA was used as a farm vehicle when I built the tray but is now a dedicated camper. If I was doing it now I would use just a skeleton steel frame to mount the camper and box on and do away with the rope rail at the front ( would cut out a lot of weight) . This would let me move everything forward a few inches.
Best mod we have done is fitting a 6BT Cummins .This made it into a really nice drive.
Cheers George and Fran

More
16 Apr 2022 08:06 #40 by Paul Scherek
George and Fran have asked me to insert a photo of their Oka...... it is a very neat arrangement.

File Attachment:

File Name: Oka_George.pdf
File Size:286 KB

Attachments: