High Temp Light

More
01 Nov 2012 11:24 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: High Temp Light
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > High Temp Light

Outback Jack
244 has a high temp light on the dash,

Is the XT high temp light suppose to come on when starting? Mine doesnt come on at all. I have checked the light and its fine.

Just got me thinking with my problems with the temp gauge, if it got too hot, surely the light should be on?
--

November 12, 2010 at 10:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Hi all,yet another very handy gadget from Davies Craig called the thermo cap.The radiator cap has a thermometer gauge in the middle of it and reads within 2 deg c of our multi lazer temp probe.Knowing the temp of the coolant direct from all engine spaces is a like big valium tablet in my book, peace of mind I say,cheers all good health Doc and Lyn
--
November 13, 2010 at 1:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Does the OKA even have a radiator cap as such. One on the expansion tank isn't quite the same. Air space below and offset position???

123 temperature light doesn't come on when starting - just the oil and charge light - and I think the brake light as well.

Can usually test warning lights by shorting the lead to ground at the sensor.

Don't know about the OKA but many engines fail to give warning of loss of coolant because the sensors are no longer in the water so take longer to react.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

November 13, 2010 at 7:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Very good point Tony was thinking our Oka"'s as standard ,there anything but I guess, we will post picks of our complete make overs inc cooling systems when all completed and fully tested in the most punishing of climates and track conditions that we experience up this way. Cheers Doc and Lyn
November 13, 2010 at 8:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
Hi all,

I've got an XT and my high temp light only comes on when it's too hot. I did some work to the heater hoses a while back and didn't tighten one of the hose clamps well enough, didn't realise coolant was going out at the join when engine was hot. Just stopped, let it cool down got some water from a friendly neighbour and drove the 3km home... Twas fine.

Cheers,
Alister
November 13, 2010 at 10:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Thanks for the replies.

This is what I was thinking, that the light only comes on if there is a heating problem. It would have been better if it lit up whilst cranking, that way you would know if it the globe was OK.

I think the temp sender has two terminals, one for the light and one for the gauge,

Cheers
--

November 13, 2010 at 10:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
"This is what I was thinking, that the light only comes on if there is a heating problem. It would have been better if it lit up whilst cranking, that way you would know if it the globe was OK."

In the speedo housing are four relays all of which are controlled by the ignition switch, one of which tests the brake balance warning light.

Probably quite easy to add a couple of isolating diodes and use the one relay to test the brake light and the temperature light - and more diodes could test all lights that are lit by switching one side to ground.

Could do a manual test with a switch and the diodes - two pole one could test lamps switched to either ground or 12v
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

November 13, 2010 at 1:52 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.