Mud flaps (and also Gas Bottle Holders)

More
02 Nov 2012 21:06 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Mud flaps (and also Gas Bottle Holders)
Forum Home > On the Road > Mud flaps

Tony Lee
Just in front of the rear tyre are two nutserts in the chassis on each side - inclined at about the right angle for the front mud flaps.
Anyone know what they are for.
Was thinking of using them to support the front mud flaps but would have to drill and tap a couple of holes behind the rear wheel on or near the neutral axis if I wanted to do the same with the rear mud flap.

Has anyone supported the mud flaps off the chassis or do people just duplicate the system of supporting it off the body/tray sub frame.

Peter - you used HDPE sheet for your flaps. Was that for the whole flap - ie replacing both the folded steel top section and the heavy rubber lower section?
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

November 13, 2011 at 10:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
Initially I made the rears from HDPE and just the bottom section of the fronts. They were so successful (and light) that I subsequently remade the fronts from the top down in one piece from 5mm HDPE. The edges are folded 90 degrees for about half way down like the originals. They are bolted at the top and use rope (instead of chain) from an aluminium cross bar half way down to restrict ''flap''. Rear ones are as I built in 2004 still.

I replaced some of the nutserts in the chassis by tack welding them into place and then screwing them up with bolt with washers under the head and a long bar, so you could add new ones the same way.
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

November 14, 2011 at 5:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Tony, I used the 2 chassis nutserts for holding the rear of a gas bottle frame.
The front of the frame is fixed to the fuel tank frame.

--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

November 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
I don't know if it's at all relevant, but I was at mine with a camera today so I took photos. I don't know if these used the nutserts that you were referring to or not:

Right side has a third accessory battery mounted there; this was an aftermarket exercise, not done by the factory:

Left side has a box that ex-factory had a gas bottle in it (campervan build), but that now has a compressor and hoses in it:

--
Hal

November 14, 2011 at 7:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Thanks everyone - all good ideas.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

November 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
Tony
I thought of changing the steel bits of the front mudflaps to rubber or similar but decided to keep the metal bits as the compressor and air tank is mounted on it on the LHS and the RHS has the accumulator and pressure pump for the plumbing mounted on it.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

November 15, 2011 at 6:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
Forget about rubber. I LOVE HDPE sheet.
It is semi ridgid, is ''bullet proof'', easily cut with a jig saw, can be bent with the application of heat along a straight line, can be hot air welded into tanks, is half the weight of rubber and is CHEAP.
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

November 15, 2011 at 11:13 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.