XT upgrade

More
03 Nov 2012 06:20 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: XT upgrade
Forum Home > On the Road > XT upgrade

Cando
i read with interest how Soon to be OKA QLD is installing NT parts in to your XT.
(My XT is having a NT new roof, coffin panels and air cleaner, windows to scissor lifts ) As im doing a ground up rebuild of our XT im quite interested in the bits that can be changed / upgraded to better the vehicle. I'd be interested in more info. whats this about window scissor lifts?
cando
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

October 13, 2010 at 7:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
I presume the scissor lift refers to the sliding "X" mechanism that most vehicles have to raise the window glass, rather than the belt drive that Oka's have.

The manual winder takes a lot of turns to lower and raise the windows so I fitted power windows to our Oka which makes them much more convenient to use and they don't rattle open any more. I retained the belt drive system so no mechanical changes are required and after 2+ years they are still working fine.

See our blog entry here.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

October 15, 2010 at 10:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Hi all,Any info on the electric window conversion and where to get the gear would be great, getting rid of the rattle down annoyance is a priority ,cheers Doc
--
October 15, 2010 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
dandjribbans.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-to...-windows-to-oka.html
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

October 15, 2010 at 10:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Thats a great blog Dandj, thanks Tony, silly me.
October 15, 2010 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Whilke you are at it - install remote door locking as well. See David's blog for that as well
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

October 15, 2010 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Electric Windows would easier enough, but the central looking is a bit harder.
--

October 15, 2010 at 3:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
If/when you fit electric windows, search for the most powerful motors you can find, even if you have to import them from the US (note: good exchange rate right now).

Oka window glass is heavy and weaker motors might struggle or burn out. Mine were just adequate and have lasted well but they are a bit slow to raise.

Also make sure the cables to the motors is as thick and direct as you can so you don't loose voltage along them, especially the passenger side. I took heavy cables direct from solid +12v and ground connection points into the passenger door and then used relays to do the switching near the motor (see our blog).
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

October 17, 2010 at 9:59 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.