USD Exchange Rate

More
03 Nov 2012 06:25 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: USD Exchange Rate
Forum Home > On the Road > USD Exchange Rate

Outback Jack
With the dollar almost on parity with USD and maybe even go higher. Should see prices for US source parts drop heaps, when you consider the USD was 70 or 80 odd cents a year or so ago.

I am considering doing a bit of a buying spree out of the US. Any one have any ideas on what spares etc I should go shopping for?

Or any suiggestions for website to source parts from?

Cheers
--

October 8, 2010 at 10:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
might need to check at what point Customs decide that GST will need paying because the extra 10% will erode the savings a bit.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

October 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
My experience bringing humvee parts in over the last eight years is that unless you have a big shipment (around $1k plus) of new stuff you won't be bothered. Secondhand, NIB, used, surplus especially if it has surface rust and is obviously s/hand doesn't attract duty or taxes.
I've got a shipping contact in CA so I just get stuff sent to there and then it comes over in a container with his regular shipments. You will also be up for customs, cleaning etc on bigger items like diffs, gearboxes and engines. Also make sure that any orifices are well sealed as the Richard Craniums that wash stuff down here in Oz don't give a bugger how much water gets into the engines or whatever, sometimes I think they go out of their way to wreck stuff.
Anything that can be fitted into a USPS flat rate box rarely needs duty paid on it unless it exceeds the $1-2k value. There is no surface mail anymore only airmail.
Try and steer clear of using UPS, FEDEX etc as they charge like wounded bulls unless you have an account.
Peter
October 8, 2010 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Yes it will need more thoughts, But I was thinking on the lines of seals and rebuild kits for the Diff and transfer. Maybe some bling items.
--

October 8, 2010 at 1:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
How about a "group buy" of a few common consumerables?

Cheers,
Peter
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

October 8, 2010 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Yes that could be a good idea. I think even with GST, Stamp Duty there could savings.
Overhaul Kits for drive train etc.
I am considering a new transfer case for my self. The extra heavy duty one is around 3k USD. It will need the front modified from what I believe.
Also considering this
{{{ www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/positra...r_positraction.html\ }}}

\Maybe some Diff Covers, allowing them to run a little cooler with a little more oil
--

October 8, 2010 at 2:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Scherek
For big difficult to source items, bringing things in from the States could be a good idea. However, if we start in on smaller items and bread-and-butter consumables we could well end up with Messrs Nott and Wade out of business - THEN we would be in real trouble!!

Cheers,

Paul
October 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Well said Paul!! I have a sister in the US,I have sourced stuff that was not avail here,when you browse around and put freight on top you can see Paul's prices been reasonable.
Cheers
Joe
October 8, 2010 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
hi guys,
a bulk buy sounds a good idea, im not even sure what parts we need for our rebuild as yes,but im sure there will be some. if i can tag along will be greatful.
cando
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

October 8, 2010 at 8:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Paul Scherek at October 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM
For big difficult to source items, bringing things in from the States could be a good idea. However, if we start in on smaller items and bread-and-butter consumables we could well end up with Messrs Nott and Wade out of business - THEN we would be in real trouble!!

Cheers,

Paul
I'm certainly happy to patronise the OKA dealers - and do - but as far as the 'bread and butter consumables" go, doesn't this owners group publish a list of parts so we can source the consumables - say bearings and seals - at much cheaper prices. If you accept that saving as being legitimate good buying, then I guess saving another 50% by buying them direct from the US is just as legitimate.

--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

October 9, 2010 at 7:32 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.