Hi All,

I know this has been done to death.

But whats peoples thought on this tyre

www.procomp.com.au/Default.asp?MenuId=PC_TYRE_XT

at this size

315/75R16

400 Odd dollars from here

www.seldomseeneng.com.au/FORMgallery1.htm

Going to buy some F250 alloys to suit. Vehicle will not be loaded up much as some.
--

October 8, 2010 at 5:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Hal Harvey runs Procomp and I think he is very happy with them.
cheers,Joe
October 8, 2010 at 5:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
HI,
Be carefull when buying F250 wheels, they are 8 stud BUT, the Oka wheels are 8 stud on 6.5"inch radius and the F250 wheels are 8 stud on 170mm radius & they won't fit unless the F250 is a Really early model & the wheels are 6.5inch radius. Also the back spacing required is 4 1/2 inch.
We have Eagle alloys Code is 089 they are 16 x 10 inch, 8 stud on 6.5 inch radius on 4.5 inch back spacing aand load rating is 3420 lbs. Hal Harvey has Pro Comp wheels on his they have the same load rating & size as ours but he runs bigger tyres on his.
Just be wary because we nearly bought F250 rims & they wouldn't fit !!
Regards,
John
--
John & Laura Szkoruda OKA 147

October 8, 2010 at 9:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
OK thanks.
Yes I think the latest F250 are different and the earlier ones do suit a OKA
--

October 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

len&rina
Outback Jack at October 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM
OK thanks.
I have been following tyre discussions for some time.As available tyre sizes for alloy wheels seem to be limited to a maximum loading of 1550kg at the MAXIMUM tyre pressure quoted on the tyre surely the weight carrying capacity at say 18psi is severely compromised,or have I got this wrong.Thanks guys
--

April 13, 2011 at 5:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
len&rina at April 13, 2011 at 5:01 AM
Outback Jack at October 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM
OK thanks.
I have been following tyre discussions for some time.As available tyre sizes for alloy wheels seem to be limited to a maximum loading of 1550kg at the MAXIMUM tyre pressure quoted on the tyre surely the weight carrying capacity at say 18psi is severely compromised,or have I got this wrong.Thanks guys
Hi Len & Rina,
We have alloys & our tyres at the moment are LR at 1550 kg we've done a lot of sand driving at low pressure on these & been to Cpae York , SA & Tas running down to 15psi at times ( not over long distances for hours ) had no problems. There are tyres rated to 1750 kg which are next on our wish list, Mickey THOMPSON, & Pro Comp both have higher rated tyres we have a GVM 5.5 ton had noproblems. At $400 odd each that a good price we paid that 3 years ago & we got a good deal then as we bought the wheels at the same time.
Laura & John OKA 147
--

April 13, 2011 at 6:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
If using F250 rims would the holes for the studs need drilling larger, I put the F250/350 rotors on but they needed to be drilled to fit the studs, there were a few different size rotors, I'd like some alloys also any feedback is great Thanks
April 13, 2011 at 12:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Darren,
Apparently some F250 rims are supposed to fit, some don't. The back spacing is also important so you have clearance on your steering arms, not just the hole centres, size & off set. Somewhere on the website there is a detailed description of our mag wheel sizes, offset etc, have posted them several times, last time was when Peter & Sandra were enquiring about wheels, they have just purchased the same brand & size as ours, don't know what style but they would be able to give you a good indication of price, we bought ours about 3 years ago, wouldnt go back to the steel rims.
cheers Laura # 147
--

April 13, 2011 at 12:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter & Sandra James Oka 374

I just bought a set of 16x8 Eagle 058 alloys from a place in western sydney (can't remember details at the mo'), $300 each, nuts from the US worked out at $2 each inc postage.
BG Wheels in Melbourne had a good deal on 058's 16x10 at less than $300 each, have a look at their website here
www.bgwheels.com.au/7.html they list them as s/hand but they are new.

<link fixed>

--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 13, 2011 at 12:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
This is the old thread with rim & tyre size from previous forums
Regards,
Laura
--

April 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Peter, they are the same style as ours but we have the 058's 16x10.
Laura
--

April 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
Cleaning up some off-topic posting from another thread here folks:

From okadoc @ Peter & Sandra:

Being a Hummer man, what's your thoughts on the 37/12.5/16.5 Goodyear Armourtracks as they're in abundance and not expensive in the states. We have six here as samples to try and have rims being made to suit, personally they look to be the answer for the OKAs, very thick walls, 50 PSI max pressure with load capacity of 1750kg and standard Hummer issue I'm led to believe.

Cheers all Doc Davey
April 18, 2011 at 8:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Peter & Sandra:

Doc I would steer clear of the 16.5" rims, as a standard size tires are next to impossible to get here in Oz, Goodyear have stopped making the GSA and only make the MT for the military and will not import them into Oz.

Nankang make a copy of the MT in 37/12.5x16.5 which are available here in Oz, very good tyre and rounder than the Goodyears which are very eggy and hard to balance, the Nankangs are also very cheap compared to the Goodyears.

Local Oz Hummer and Humvee owners have had plenty of carcass separation of the MTs due to age, the GSAs are/were a great general touring tyre but are no longer available in 16.5" only 17" as the last of the Hummer H1s all had 17" rims. The military are the only users of 16.5" tyres these days.

--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 18, 2011 at 8:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Rodman:

I use the MTs all the time here. I have never seen one separate. These tyres are in abundance here in the states. A lot of the 4x4 guys driving F250s and F350s have them on their trucks. What do you mean by eggy? Are you referring to tread pattern?

April 18, 2011 at 8:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Peter & Sandra:

The Goodyears are rarely truly round and quite often have heavy spots so are hard to balance and getting them to run true. Whereas the Nanakangs are perfect as too are the Hankooks I've just fitted to the Oka.

--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 18, 2011 at 8:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rodman
These tyres will out last any of the Nanakangs. I have had good luck with these tyres.
April 18, 2011 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Thanks for the input guys, Ive given up dealing with the Oz companies in a lot of instances as the price and availability offshore leaves them cold, unaware of the seperation issues mentioned and swithched on to the 16.5 in status quo in Oz and believe a 40 ft container with 300 tyres and rims would solve that in an instant, anyone throw more light on the tyre issues, will forum the States sites, will balance up the 37/12.5/16.5 set and report.Certainly like the extra brake clearance. We have ample 325/85r16 tyres and 100x16 xzl so with reaSONABE PRICE BUT THE 37 's are real cheap if any good ???? so keep the good oil flowin folks Cheers Doc
April 18, 2011 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Well now im even more confused and daaazed. its hard to get a hold on the type of tyre issues and choices. Im about to buy 19.5 steel rims is there any reason y i shouldnt? i reacon wed do some travel on the bitchy to get to the dirt but once we get 300k south its all dirt so im leaning more towards an off road pattern? whats the adventage with alloys over steel?
cherrs
happy trails
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

April 18, 2011 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando the biggest reason for me fitting the alloys was weight, availability of tyres and the ability to be able to plug punctures and stakes on the go.
I've yet to drive the Oka with them on as we're in the middle of doing a camper conversion but reckon they will make an enormous difference to general driveability and comfort. I can't lift the original rims and 255/100R16 tyres, even wheeling them around is a worry as once they start to fall sideways I can't stop them. The alloys and 315/75R16 combo I can lift easily to fit them on the hub. From my research 19.5 rims will give a pretty hard ride unless you get up into at least a 305 size and even then they are very stiff in the sidewall. Then there is the cost ;-))
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cando
Cheers Peter. ill look in to it a bit more i think,
thanks
--
Happy trails

Cando and Bron XLT 112

April 19, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Another plus is that the next size down (285/75R16) is pretty common and probably available pretty much anywhere as lots of later model 4wd's use them and they can be fitted in an emergency.
--
Oka 374 LT Van

April 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rodman
OKA4WD.com at April 18, 2011 at 8:22 AM
From Peter & Sandra:

Doc I would steer clear of the 16.5" rims, as a standard size tires are next to impossible to get here in Oz, Goodyear have stopped making the GSA and only make the MT for the military and will not import them into Oz.

Nankang make a copy of the MT in 37/12.5x16.5 which are available here in Oz, very good tyre and rounder than the Goodyears which are very eggy and hard to balance, the Nankangs are also very cheap compared to the Goodyears.

Local Oz Hummer and Humvee owners have had plenty of carcass separation of the MTs due to age, the GSAs are/were a great general touring tyre but are no longer available in 16.5" only 17" as the last of the Hummer H1s all had 17" rims. The military are the only users of 16.5" tyres these days.

--
Oka 374 LT Van

You said ( Doc I would steer clear of the 16.5" rims, as a standard size tires are next to impossible to get here in Oz, Goodyear have stopped making the GSA and only make the MT for the military and will not import them into Oz. )

Hey mate,
That depends on where you are getting these tyres. They have and can be imported into OZ. I know where 6 of these Military Mt are in OZ right now.

April 20, 2011 at 11:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Hi tyre kickers, I have discussed the 16.5 goodyear armourgaurd wranglers with Rodman and other 4WD addicts in the states, all I have heard is positive , nothing on egg shapes delamination problems at all ????? They reackon the XZl,XML and the 37/12.5/16.5 are on a par for product quality but the latter is way cheaper and plentiful in the states and really comfortable ride as is the Michies. Please advise of specific details on these tyres and failures if possible cause I'm wanting to be certain of all the facts brought up in the forum before we career headlong into a financial fopar. Cheers for the info,Doc
April 20, 2011 at 2:04 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.