LT transfer box - what oil?

More
01 Nov 2012 11:36 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: LT transfer box - what oil?
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > LT transfer box - what oil?

Seamus and Cate
Hi
the manual says to use Castrol ST90 oil for the transfer box, but this is exceedingly difficult to find.
Any suggestions for alternative oils, please

--
www.boldacious.com.au/

www.serendipityprojects.com.au/

www.portlandroadsbeachshack.com.au/

www.capeyorkblog.com/

www.sandfly-mosquito-repellents.com/

October 17, 2010 at 12:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
Our manual says to use 15W40 oil, that should be easier to find.
October 17, 2010 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
XT box uses engine oil but LT may be different..

I would go to a caltex depot or similar and ask them to find out what oil is equivalent to that one. Specification and grade are what matters rather than exact brand.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

October 17, 2010 at 5:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seamus and Cate
Really - does that mean just ordinary engine oil 15W40 - or gearbox oil? I thought gearboxes and transfer cases needed special gearbox oil??
I'm not trying to be rude - just checking
--
www.boldacious.com.au/

www.capeyorkblog.com/

October 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
Yes our 334 is an LT. And the book states a CRF30 single grade oil for motor and transfer case. We are and will be using 15W40 which covers this range as most oils today are multi grade to suit hot and cold weather conditions. Ours is a Rockwell T-223 transfer case and it states CRF30 we've adapted and so far it suits. Peter & K
October 17, 2010 at 5:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Mines is a XT

Both the transfer and engine use the same oil. Straight 40

I am using Fuchs.
--

October 17, 2010 at 6:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Ford,Dodge,International and Chev/GMC all used the NP 205 and all recommend different oil grades,I allways use 80w140 without problems (well before the OKA)
Cheers
Joe
October 17, 2010 at 7:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
"And the book states a CRF30 single grade oil for motor and transfer case."

But the Perkins book - surely the authority - recommends a heap of different grades depending on temperature. Seemed to me that 15W40 covered all temperatures likely to be met whereas the straight oil didn't go anywhere near coping with temperatures likely to be met in summer. As for the transfer case - I di have some straight oil left so will use it until it is gone and then probably use 15W40 unless someone tells me otherwise.

What did strike me as strange was the engine using 30 grade, gearbox using 80/90, transfer case using 30 grade and the diffs using 80/90 - and to continu the example, on my heavy bus, the diff uses 90/140.
Generally slower the movement and higher the torque and therefore gear contact pressures, the heavier the oil.

Why is the OKA transfer case the odd man out??????

Can't tell for sure yet but I was disappointed at the amount of straight oil the engine went through when I first got it, but since swapping to multigrade, oil use has gone way down to something quite acceptable. May be just the quite different conditions it has been operating under for the last few weeks in the centre compared to the highway driving previously. Heading home soon so I will get a better idea then.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

October 17, 2010 at 8:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Yes I have wondered the same about the engine.
The Perkins manual states multigrades, talk to Robin and others and they state straight grade?
I would thought there would be more protection with a mulit grade, especially at start up
--

October 17, 2010 at 9:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Hi,
Know you guys are a long way from any shops if you are at Portland Roads so you won't have a great range to choose from. I'm sure that John just puts 15W40 in the engine but am pretty sure he uses something different in transfer & gearbox. He away in Mt Isa working but will ask him when I phone him & will let you know, he's a mechanic by trade (30 years) . Will post a reply tomorrow when I speak to him.
--
John & Laura Szkoruda OKA 147

October 17, 2010 at 10:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seamus and Cate
Thanks everyone. Laura, thanks, I'll be interested in John's reply. Dunno about the shops - it's only about 5 hours to Weipa or 11 hours to Cairns!
--
www.boldacious.com.au/

www.capeyorkblog.com/

October 18, 2010 at 7:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
I am in Weipa, although also doing some work in the west as well. Drop by our store if you are in Weipa, you never know I may be there.

Cheers
--

October 18, 2010 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seamus and Cate
Outback Jack at October 18, 2010 at 4:55 PM
I am in Weipa, although also doing some work in the west as well. Drop by our store if you are in Weipa, you never know I may be there.

Cheers
Yeah - ta - will be in Weipa around the 24th/25th November. Will you be there then? What/where is your store?
--
www.boldacious.com.au/

www.capeyorkblog.com/

October 18, 2010 at 6:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Seamus,
John uses Castrol VMX80 manual transmission fluid in transfer & gearbox, has done since we rebuilt them when we bought 147.Have had no problems & gearbox nice & light, I drive it no problem(& I'm only 5'1" ), yes not much choice in Weipa, but maybe the guys from Wilderness Challange or one of the other tour companies that go to Chilli Beach regularly could bring a bottle ( 2 litres) up from Cairns for you????? or maybe the Sea Swift boat could take & drop it to Lockhart River but they would charge you. Would try the tour guys they're good guys. Suppose it's up to the individual what they want to use.
Cheers.........Laura

--
John & Laura Szkoruda OKA 147

October 19, 2010 at 5:46 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2016 18:39 #2 by OKA in Africa
OKA in Africa replied the topic: LT transfer box - what oil?
Hello,

the old forum discussion below did not really help me decide which oil to use.
I would like to change the transfer case oil for my OKA LT. It has the Rockwell transfer case installed.
The OKA LT manual does state to use Castrol ST90 for the transfer case and Castrol 80W90 for the gearbox and differential.
> I do not get Castrol ST90 in Africa. Could I just use the Castrol 80W90 instead or are the oil specifications to different?
Please advise!

Thank you and best regards

OKA #327 in Africa
www.oka4wd.com/forum/members-vehicles-pu...47-oka-327-in-africa

More
09 Sep 2016 19:44 #3 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: LT transfer box - what oil?
OIA,from personal experience I can recommend(if you can get it) Amsoil severe gear 75W90,it's a full synthetic and doesn't mix readily with water,meaning if you done a lot of river and creek crossing during the day that night you let the oil rest and the following morning you can drain any water with little or no contamination to the oil,really good stuff.
Cheers,Joe

More
09 Sep 2016 20:09 #4 by OKA in Africa
OKA in Africa replied the topic: LT transfer box - what oil?
Thanks Joe,

unfortunately I do not get these "fancy" oils locally. So I have to refert to more "standard" oils. What do you think about the Castrol 80W90 for the LT transfer case?

Thank you and best regards

OKA #327 in Africa
www.oka4wd.com/forum/members-vehicles-pu...47-oka-327-in-africa

More
09 Sep 2016 20:50 #5 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: LT transfer box - what oil?
That's a good oil,I just have a preference for synthetic,just keep an eye to make sure that you can drain contaminants early.
Cheers,Joe