Anyone want alloys?

More
02 Nov 2012 20:47 - 28 Jun 2014 21:06 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Anyone want alloys?
Forum Home > On the Road > Anyone want alloys?

from Moose2367:
Just wondering if anyone is interested in geting some alloys and tyres from the USA?
I'm looking at getting ssix 17" Moto Metal or XD Series rims with 37" all terrain tyres.
Haven't decided which tyre yet, tossing up between the Nitto Terr Grapplers, have heard they wear quick though, Interco A/T's or Pro Comp Xtreme A/T's.
I'm still waiting on a price, but if more people jump on board i'm sure the price will also drop.
Luke
October 24, 2011

from Hank Onthewater:
Hi Luke
I might be interested, have been thinking about the same: buying alloys, and sourcing them from the US. But firstly, what would be the price of those items locally (Oz)?
Then to find a seller who is prepared to ship overseas. A lot of branded names will NOT send their goods to Australia to protect their own distrubution network, Michelin is one of them (expererience with motorbike tyres). In case of motorbike tyres savings can be around 15-30% after adding additonal costs like shipping, import duties(5%), GST (10%), shipping agent fees etc. A 20ft container door to door delivered cost not less than $8000, a 40 ft container only little more.
If you 'go together' with other Oka owners, agreement on tyre and rim might be difficult. Maybe a small survey with other Oka owners what works for them for be beneficial. Hal, I will contact you shortly, working on that one.
Anyway: good idea, I would be good for 8 sets, and right now I am looking with Mick (Oka #236) who would need 6 sets. As a matter of fact I am in Perth for one day to, amongst 101 other things, see F-Trucks in Welshpool.
But at this stage, for me, it is still looking, as other (non Oka) priorities also put a claim on monies earned.
Hank
October 25, 2011

from Moose2367:
There shouldn't be a problem with varying styles of tyres or rims, as long as the bloke i'm contacting can get them.
He said he send a lot of goods here and will put them in a container to keep the shipping cost down.
Looking at Ebay for the tyres and rims, i wouldn't even ask anyone here for a price
37" Goodyear GSA $325
37" BFG A/T $291
17" Moto Metal Rim x4 $509-$609 depending on style
4 x XD rims with 31x12.5x17 Nitto Terra Grappler, bids starting at $1889, no bids yet, 1 day to go.
My links won't work.
I couldn't even buy a 33" tyre in a 16" for that here. Obviously freight is extra, as would duty/GST, i still think it would be well worth it.
As soon as i get a price or my 6, i'll see what sort of a deal i can get for more.
October 25, 2011

from Peter & Sandra James Oka 374:
Moose
Be careful bringing s/hand tyres in as I know a few people who have had to destroy them on arrival in Oz, there is some reg re the importation of s/hand tyres.
Check the prices here for rims as my Eagle alloys were under $AU300 a rim locally.
I've run GSA's on my Humvee for the last 9 years and while they are a good touring tyre for bitumen and dirt they clod very quickly in clay and mud and become huge slicks with zero grip. They can also be very eggy and hard to balance and have relatively thin walls. I've torn the walls out a few over the years.
They were the standard tyre fitted ex factory to H1 Hummers until the arrival of the MTRs.
October 25, 2011

from Moose2367:
Thanks for the info on the GSAs Peter.
All the tyres I've listed are new, i wouldn't consider bringing in 2nd hand ones.
$300 a rim is double the cost of the ones i've looked at, not inc shipping though.
Any info on good A/T tyres would also be appreciated, to see if i can source them. As we all know, the weight is the limiting factor.
October 25, 2011

from Peter_n_Margaret:
I would love a set of 19 1/2 x 8 1/4 alloys. :-)
October 26, 2011

from justin & pam:
Hi all. I did some enquiry's some time ago on eagle alloys. I got a price from the states from hubcapheaven. they were very helpful with prices and shipping for 6 rims without tyres and shipping was only $500 for the 6 rims. Rims were only about $150 each. The savings were huge compared to buying locally, less than half price.
October 26, 2011

from Andy (and Deb):
G'day Moose,
I would be interested in michelin set of 325/85/16 XML's if they are available at a reasonable price.
I'm running them on eagle alloys (8 inch), and they have been outstanding on sand, beach-launching and retrieving a 6.4m boat, with no effort at about 20 psi.
Great on sand, but seem to wear fairly quickly on the black-top. They are not forgiving if your wheel alignment, tracking and deg. of camber etc. is not spot on. That's why I need more!:)
October 26, 2011

from oka 098:
all adds up the same buy locally return might be good fun for warranty
October 26, 2011

from Moose2367:
I am yet to need warranty on anything i have bought from the USA, never for tyres or rims here in Oz either, so it's really a non issue.
Just got a price for 6 rims and tyres(XD rims andTerra Grapplers) landed in Darwin port, $3600 for 6, $800 of it is freight.
I couldn't get 6 x 37" tyres for that locally, i'm waiting on a list of tyres he stocks to get different pricing.
October 27, 2011

from James & Usha:
The price I was quoted for six Moto Metal rims with Dune Grapplers is $2495.00 which includes mounting and balancing also lugs and locks. This was about the same as I was quoted locally for the tyres alone.
edit I should have said this included shipping through to me.
October 27, 2011

from Alister McBride:
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has considered the XZL or XML Michies Okadoc is importing/selling, it was a while ago but i imagine he's still got a few. They wouldn't struggle to meet the load rating of an Oka either... Just figure if there's someone already importing some it might be a good opportunity.
Cheers
October 27, 2011

from oka 098:
yeah warranty means bugger all ,terra grapplers load rating 117 1285kg is this the rating of tyres in quote or what is the load rating of tyres ? cheers
October 27, 2011

from Moose2367:
The 37" Terra Grapplers have a load rating of 3525lbs or 1598kg.
I'll send JT Imports and e-mail for a quote on the shipping.
Also, apparently with the free trade agreement between Aust and the USA, if the items are wholly made in the USA, then there is no duty payable on them, more investigating required on that one.
October 27, 2011

Yes that is correct with the duty but you will still be up for 10% GST+customs+shipping agents+ any other thing they can think of ;-)). I've had a few arguments with the likes of Fedex, UPS& DHL etc over their charges over the years. You shoudn't be involved with them though as you will be going through a shipping agent here in Oz.
October 27, 2011

from Peter 334:
I also was wanting a different type of tyre for the Oka and I could not get them here in oz, so i found a place in Sydney that imports tyres from the states. I have selected a Goodyear Wrangler dura trac 127 q =1750 kg. They take 6 to 8 weeks to get here and at a price of approx $330 per tyre to my door. I thought they were too good to miss out on. The size is 315/75r 16 can give anyone their name if it's wanted.
October 27, 2011

from Michael Hession:
Hi Peter, who is the contact in Sydney?
October 27, 2011

from Moose2367:
That's a great price Peter, especially to your door.
I just found out that one of Dad's mates brings things in regularly from the USA and can get my tyres here for almost nothing, can't beat that. I'll give him some 4 for his trouble etc
I'm not sure how often i would be able to do it though, r how much room is in each container. I jsut spoke to him and i need to get the wheels to Tennesee within 3 weeks, they should be here, (Northern Vic) by xmas.
So at this stage i can only get my 6 wheels here but i MAY be able to organise more later on. Now to decide on the tyre, suggestions?
October 28, 2011

from Peter 334:
The people to speak to is Tempe tires in tempe sydney they work on a you give them the tyre , type and size and the cost and just sit back and wait , i orded mine 3 weeks ago and cannot wait to get them the phone no is 1300350400 good luck ,cheers peter
October 28, 2011

from Peter 334:
forgot one little thing the person whom put me onto Tempe tires told me if you import tyres in and container with other goods and not only tyres it will have to be fumigated and that is and extra cost to you cheers peter
October 28, 2011

from Paul Scherek:
I have been told that the Eagle Alloys stud holes need to be drilled out and re-tapered to suit the Oka studs, Is this true?
Thanks, Paul
October 29, 2011

from Andy (and Deb):
Paul,
You don't have to drill the holes in the alloys, but the new chrome nuts had to be machined to suit the bevel angle in the alloys (that cost was about $6 or 7 for each nut, after machining)
October 29, 2011

You can buy the correct nuts for the Oka studs and alloys from this seller on ebay, cost was just over $2 ea inc shipping.
stores.ebay.com.au/EZ-Accessory/Acorn-Lu...trksid=p4634.c0.m322 ; is the link to the ebay store
October 29, 2011

The correct nuts for the eagle alloys are 5/8-18 TPI with a 60 degree taper, mine have an outside hex for a 13/16"/22mm socket
October 29, 2011

from Paul Scherek:
Thanks Peter, that sounds much better than modifying the wheels. It was the Victorian distributor for Eagle Alloys who told me that the stud holes in the wheels must be enlarged to suit the Oka, and that doing so would void the warranty... very strange.... also he made no comment about getting different wheel nuts to suit the taper on the wheels. Cheers, Paul
October 29, 2011

Yes I got the same story when I bought mine.
I did actually get some normal type nuts from Mr Lugnut in Melbourne but the alloys are about 20mm thick in the centre and the nuts were flush with the surface so you couldn't get a socket on them to tighten them so they are sitting in the shed unused, would work fine with steel wheels.
The nuts I got from the ebay seller are 1 7/8" (47mm) long with the taper at the bottom, then a 1/4" smooth section before the 1 1/4" long hex for the socket starts, then there is another smooth section at the top about 3/16" long. I'd post a pic but can never get it to work.
We've not long got home after 10 weeks on the road through SA and Vic, lots of rough tracks, desert sand dunes, good and bad dirt as well as plenty of bitumen, all up 12k since we left, the alloys and 315/75R16 tyres performed perfectly in all conditions and show little sign of wear or the thousands of kms of gibber country.
October 29, 2011

from Rodman:
OKA Doc has 5 of those 37" 12.50/16.5 Good Year Wranglers I sent him in the last order of tyres I sent over from the states.
December 10, 2011

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 28 Jun 2014 21:06 by Hal Harvey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.