Whoooooops!!!!

More
30 Dec 2012 17:41 - 31 Dec 2012 06:09 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Whoooooops!!!!
Whoooooops!!!!

Tony Lee

Was just testing the theory that an OKA chassis edoesn't twist.

It doesn't. The DS rear wheel is about 8" off the bottom.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

October 25, 2012 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee

Betty has recovered her equilibrium too, but it took a bit longer.

Hard part was getting rid of all the stinking mud.

AND the road was impassible a couple of ks further on so had to go back through it.

Betty got out and walked around. Just made it back through but with half the DS of the box covered in mud. On the roof too.
--
Tony

October 25, 2012 at 7:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Had a minor problem with the starter motor in Exmouth (needed lubrication) and never got around to reconnecting the winch negative lead because I wanted to connect it direct to chassis instead of to the back of the starter as it was originally.

Turned out to be the perfect time to finish the job.
Easy access, suspension on full extension, convenient 45 degree angle to work on it --

and I had nothing more pressing to do anyway

--
Tony

October 25, 2012 at 8:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Do you have diff locks? If you dont, do you think they wouldve helped?
--

October 25, 2012 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
I would also be pulling the front freewheeling hubs off ASAP. The front hubs dont like a lot of water, once it gets in there it can destroy things pretty fast.
--

October 25, 2012 at 7:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Limited slip diff on the back but normal diff on the front.

One likelyhood if I had diff locks would have been the whole thing on its side. Once the winch (pulling 45 degrees to the right) took up the slack it seemed a lot more stable but I kept tightening up the other strap from the top of the cab just in case.
--
Tony

October 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
i dont know if it was a good dea to fix anything to the top of the roof as they are only normal tensile bolts and huck nuts, they are not designed to hold any weight of any great amount as a rigger/crane driver if that vehical decided to topple that would not hold bad idea ive seen 24mm bolts sheer normal grade with little weight, things do go wrong not a pratice i would do
October 26, 2012 at 5:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Doesn't take any force to stop a heavy load from toppling off the point of balance provided you can keep it there. In that situation, tying it to the ROPS frame was the highest point and given the leverage factor, the strongest that could be safely and quickly accessed. Given that I didn't know how firm the bottom was on the low side, it was quite possible it could have sunk enough to get to the tipping point and in that case the strap was all that there was between a possible self-recovery and a claim on the insurance.

Where would you attach the strap to in this situation.

Obviously smarter not to get to this sort of position in the first place, but once that position was reached, sitting there doing nothing didn't seem a productive course of action.
Once the winch took the strain pulling the vehicle sideways against the passengers side front wheel which was stuck firmly in a deep groove, that provided more than enough righting force and the top strap was just a bit of backup.
Necessity is the mother .. etc etc and I'm not a big fan of walking out for a day and then paying big money to do what I can do for nothing.
--
Tony

October 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chalkie

I second Outback Jack on the front wheel bearings. (from experience)
October 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Yes, I will look at them - although the new hubs - Warn Premium - that came with the axle upgrade seem to be better waterproofed than the original warns. Decent main o-rings plus o-rings on each of the fixing screws plus red silicon over the screws.
The original hubs had been subjected to a lot of severe wading during the Simpson trip a couple of yeaars previously and on one occasion since, one hub had hung up and not engaged when it should. Took many turns of the knob to get it to engage. When I pulled them off, there was certainly signs of water from the chalky 'corrosion' of the aluminium bits but it all cleaned up and once regreased, seemed to be quite serviceable. Same with the hub bearings - some signs of moisture - and they went back in after cleaning aand repacking but with new seals and have given no signs of trouble on this trip. Spares and tools carried though just in case.

--
Tony

October 26, 2012 at 6:16 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 31 Dec 2012 06:09 by dandjcr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.