Fuel economy & range

More
31 Dec 2012 06:11 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Fuel economy & range
Forum Home > On the Road > Fuel economy & range

chris @ shirley james
Hello all, someone asked me,before the crash,what range we got out of our 2 fuel tanks. Usable capacity of each tank is 180 litres x 5.2 klm/litre when towing a 17ft offroad caravan =936klms or 1872klms on both. That average is taken after 1000ks or so to average out things like dirt roads,hilly country [ not much of that in WA] etc. I am happy with the 5.2klms per litre,all things considered,because the van is our permanent home and we are carting all the associated gear that one has for our lifestyle. As for economy without the van,we have not done enough travelling of late to get an average. How do the rest of you go wih fuel ? Regards,Chris #96
October 18, 2012 at 5:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alister McBride
A lot of people have said they get 14-15L/100km but that had me scratching my head... I've always gotten 11.5-12L/100km in around town and highway k's. I do drive like a tortois though. I am moving to the XML tyres so i imagine it'll creep up towards the 15-16L/100km or so. And my comparison obviously isn't the same type of roads as you guys, i'll be interested to see how i go next year when i start doing some outback travelling.
Cheers,
Alister
October 18, 2012 at 8:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Garry & Chris
On the Simpson , Gunbarrel and CSR we averaged 4.65 K/Litre on the hwy sitting on about 95 we avareage 6.5 K/L
October 22, 2012 at 2:52 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2013 08:51 #2 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Fuel economy & range
So given all the above information.

The worse you could expect is around 900 to 1000 KM`s from standard dual tanks?? Or is my maths off??

More
01 Jan 2013 10:02 #3 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Fuel economy & range
Yep that is about right, I usually work on 450k's a tank for remote area (Simpson desert, CSR, Anne Beadell) type travel which gives a reasonable margin. That is for a "normal" OKA, not overladen (under GVM) and running "normal" sized tyres. Once you start exceeding GVM, running larger than 900x16 or equivalent or towing then those fuel consumption figures start to climb. Driving it like you stole it will also increase fuel consumption.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
01 Jan 2013 10:26 #4 by Outback Jack
Cheers.

So Highway running in a standard OKA, should see at least 1500??

In another life I use to drive OKA`s for Travelabout in WA. For memory we used around 180 odd liters for a round trip to Cervantes, Lancelin etc. But my memory might be playing games.

More
01 Jan 2013 18:02 #5 by Richard and Beverly House
Richard and Beverly House replied the topic: Fuel economy & range
I have always worked on about 1100 Kms out of two tanks, (220lts). If you stick around 2000 revs., what ever you gear you are traveling in this is the most economical revs. Whether you are traveling on the CSR or towing a caravan on the highway or driving the Oka on its own the consumption doesn't seem to vary much. Must be a characteristic of the Perkins Phaser 110 motor. Thats my experience with Oka 080 from new

Richard and Beverly House Oka 080

More
01 Jan 2013 19:20 - 01 Jan 2013 19:37 #6 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Fuel economy & range
I agree with Richard, fuel consumption doesn't vary that much, ours is always between 6-7km/L at speeds below 90kph. Higher speeds or deep sandy dunes will knock this figure about (worse case 4km/l on the CSR), but gravel/rocky/sandy tracks don't make it much worse since wind resistance isn't an issue.

Our 2 side tanks plus a 50 L reserve supply and an average fuel consumption of 6km/litre gives us a theoretical range of 1500km.

However we work on a useable range of 1200km since I'm never comfortable with allowing the fuel level to drop much below 60-70 L (400km). On outback tracks, especially sandy desert crossings, you can easily be 300km from the nearest reliable fuel supply.

Our trek last year from Tjukayirla Roadhouse on the Great Central Road to 80 Mile Beach across desert tracks was 2000km with only one fuel point (Kunawaritji Well 33 on the CSR). That was 1300km from Tjukayirla so fuel requirements need to be carefully calculated for these treks. Side trips and tortuous tracks can add significantly to the apparent map distance.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 01 Jan 2013 19:37 by dandjcr.

More
01 Jan 2013 19:54 #7 by Outback Jack
Cheers, work V8 Landcruiser gets around 600kms using around 140 Litres, but thats at NT Highway speeds, maybe a tad more......

More
01 Jan 2013 20:49 #8 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Fuel economy & range
Our last trip of 17,300km - Sydney,Simpson, Gunbarrel, CSR, Gibb River Rd and back home via Perth and the Victorian high country, we used fuel at the rate of between 17.5 and nearly 25 litres per 100km.

That included diesel for heating, hot water and cooking. That comes out of the 100 litre extra tank and I couldn't be bothered working out what the domestic use was.

Overall average was 20.49 L/100km including domestic use. Speedo is spot on for speed so there is an error in the odometer. One check we did, odometer read 9.55km when GPS said 10km and another time it was odometer 47km,, GPS 50 so that error, together with the domestic use, would improve my figures above by perhaps 6 or 7%

Worst consumptions were at highway speeds into head winds and some of the best was in the deserts. To be expected given the big high box we have on the back - and the extra width as well. All up weight was around 5.7 tonnes.
Small price to pay for the luxury of a hot shower and big bed every night.

More
01 Jan 2013 22:09 #9 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Fuel economy & range
Tony
To give you an idea we used about 6 litres of diesel out of the heater/cooktop fuel tank on the Simpson trip in 4 weeks.
My 450km per tank in remote areas is to allow a bit of slack like DandJ says. You might get a bit more on the highway and slow travelling on back roads. My experience over the years is that once you get over 90kph with most 4wd's the consumption suffers.
Interestingly the Oka uses less fuel with the auto and Nissan transfer case than with the manual box and Rockwell.
I did remember reading that someone in the past put an LT on the dyno with and without the transfer case and there was a 13% loss at the rear wheels through the Rockwell transfer case, not surprised as they sure generate some heat.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
02 Jan 2013 05:08 #10 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Fuel economy & range
We were away 6 months, plus we used the heater a lot to heat water for showers, so I guess we could have used 60 litres. Fuel used totalled 3552 litres, so the domestic part was at least 1% and probably nearer 2%.

Actually all of my shower water - or most of it - should have been heated by the engine, but because of stupid advice from Webasto as to how to fix something, compounded by incompetence by an Alice Springs radiator repairer, meant that I had a small leak in the Webasto surge tank which meant I haed to keep the engine and webasto systems isolated for most of the trip.

Guess a household utilities bill equal to the cost of 60 litres of diesel isn't too bad for 6 months of living. Even adding the cost of camping in national parks plus a few days of caravan parks at Birdsville and Alice, it is still cheap living. It is the cost of moving that is the killer. Say $1000 a month for fuel. Still cheap rent.

More
02 Jan 2013 09:40 #11 by OKA in Africa
OKA in Africa replied the topic: Fuel economy & range
The diesel consumption of OKA 327 ranged from:

11,3 lit/100km at 60km/h on tar up to
16,3 lit/100km at 110km/h on tar
4x4 off road consumption ranged in between

Thank you and best regards

OKA #327 in Africa
www.oka4wd.com/forum/members-vehicles-pu...47-oka-327-in-africa
Attachments:

More
03 Jan 2013 02:11 #12 by Hal Harvey
Hal Harvey replied the topic: Fuel economy & range
Eleven to 17 litres per 100km for a 20-year-old technology five-tonne brick. I just reckon that's amazingly good.

My Perkins fuel consumption figures align with most normal situations above. We have the standard LT twin tanks totalling 210 litres precisely (tested and confirmed). In severe off-roading conditions (overloaded bus, towing two tonnes, all dirt that hadn't seen a grader for decades, lots of first and second-gear work) we had to cover 850km between fuel stops, which we did ok - probably would have made 900km.

On bitumen, towing or not, cruise control set to 100km/h, Perth to Carnarvon (900km) used 150 to 160 litres every time - probably more dependant on wind than anything. That's about 17litres/100km, which would of course have been much better at 90km/h, but I was never much good at that. We did one such trip towing a seven-metre boat, and the 80-series LandCruiser with us towing a six-metre boat used the same amount of fuel near enough.

Principal advisor to the Minister for Tourism, Liza Harvey MLA
... OKA 260 ... "I'm not leaving any sooner than I have to!"
www.byles.net/OLDportal/members-vehicles-public/5-oka-260