Window winder replacement

More
31 Dec 2012 06:16 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Window winder replacement
Forum Home > On the Road > Window winder replacement

OKA 262
Hi all
I hope you can help with instructions how to replace the window wider belt on an LT.
I have the replacement belt but cant figure how to install it. The old one is stuck in the slider clamp, ref no 8 in the parts manual. I havnt been able to remove that yet.
i canot for the life of me see how the new belt can be installed. Has anyone got step by step instructions?
The belt broke just as it started to rain (naturally). I managed to push the window glass up and jammed a piece of wood under the slider which kept me dry on the drive home.
Stay well
Vidas
October 2, 2012 at 10:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chalkie

Nothing in manual. I have done it but forget details. Just pulled things apart. I know its not much help, sorry.
October 3, 2012 at 1:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Long time since I did one but the XT slider clamp clamps the 2 ends of the belt together and has 2 socket head screws to release.
Don't recall having to remove the whole mechanism but a bit fiddly.

--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

October 3, 2012 at 4:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA 262
Thanks for the replies. Michael hessan phoned me re this. His recollection is that the belt has to be cut. The ones i purchased are uncut ie are a full circle. This would make things easier. Can anyone confirm this.
David, the LT winders look the same as your photo so must be the same.
Stay well
Vidas

October 3, 2012 at 4:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
This thread might help, or this one.
I'm pretty certain you can't easily get them on unless they are cut. (You'd have to remove the whole winder mechanism).
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

October 3, 2012 at 5:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Vidas,the belt needs to be cut to install
Cheers,Joe
October 3, 2012 at 5:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA 262
Thanks heaps. That will (should) make things easier.

Stay well
Vidas
October 3, 2012 at 6:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA 262
I now can wind my window down and up thanks to input from here.
I now know how not to fit the drive belt but better still how to fit it properly, sort of.
Cutting the belt in two was the go. The belt, part no. 510L050, as supplied is too long. I stretched the " broken"belt out to get a correct length and shortened the new belt but made it a little longer because i thought the original belt had broken and therefore was shorter than it should be. The old belt in fact hadnt broken but had pulled out from the clamp. I didnt find this out untill the time came to join the two ends of the belt with the slider clamp.
I first started to fit the belt to the winder assembly by threading it through the upper pully and working downwards (anti clockwise) This proved difficult as i couldnt thread the belt around the bottom pully as it got stuck. So out it came and then i started again this time going clockwise and beginning with the bottom pully. This was heaps easier and is the way to go.
The next big step was to clamp the two ends of the belt. This was difficult and i ended up dropping the clap and it fell to the bottom of the door sill. I couldnt find it for ages and i thought it must have fallen into a concealed area somewhere at the bottom of the door. I did finally locate it wedged in the bottom pully. So out came the belt again and after an eternity i managed to retrieve the clamp. I rethreaded the belt, easy now with practice, and didnt want to lose the clamp again so i glued one end of the belt to the clamp, waited 24 hours and tried to join the belt again. The glue worked and i was able to clamp both ends of the belt but this is when i found that the belt was too long.
I now have some slack in the winding mechanism but there is no way i am goining to shorten it. To ensure that the new belt would not come apart i overtightened the clamp too much at first so the belt would not slide and operate the window.
Another thing i found is that without the door trim in place i have an excellent place to rest my elbow in the large opening exposed in the door. This also allows easier closing of the door when seated as you can pull the dooor with greate leaverage.
After this exercise there is no way i am going to replace the door winder on the other side of the door. In stead i will carry my custom built pieces of wood to prop up the window if it happen again.
Thanks again for your help.

stay well
Vidas

October 6, 2012 at 7:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul & Sue Crompton
Vidas, I have put a new belt on but it was a long time ago so I don't recall the details. I do remember not having to take the window glass out but it was a time consuming and awkward job. If I recall correctly, I just basically undid most of the bolts on the window winding mechanism and just worked around it. I am in the smash repair industry so I am not unfamiliar with removing windows out of doors but I must admit this is the first belt driven one I have done. I also have to remove my glass at some stage as it is cracked but when I replaced the belt I couldn't see an obvious way to remove the glass. Good luck.
--
Paul & Sue Crompton

October 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA 262
Hi Paul and Sue.
Belt replaced without having to remove glass or loosen anything except the belt clamp.
Stay well
Vidas

October 7, 2012 at 4:48 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2013 22:01 #2 by OKA in Africa
OKA in Africa replied the topic: Window winder replacement
I am in the process of replacing the door seals which are not as expensive as mentioned in some posts. In South Africa I got the seal at around 5 US$ per meter.

I bought as well some sound attenuation rubber mat at an incredible price of 10US$ per sqm. I am just installing the mat at the door panels and the door itself and hope that the result will be satisfactory.

The passenger side window was slowly sliding down when I was driving over rough road. The driver window is fine. I was holding the window up by connecting a rubber robe between window cranking handle and door handle. I assume the friction somewhere in the system is not sufficient and wonder if this can be adjusted somewhere. Maybe the in the area displayed in the picture above.

If anybody has experience with a possible adjustment please let me know.

Thank you and best regards

OKA #327 in Africa
www.oka4wd.com/forum/members-vehicles-pu...47-oka-327-in-africa

More
09 Jul 2013 22:50 #3 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Window winder replacement
OiA, yes the friction pads can be adjusted by the 2 bolts on the LHS in my photo above. Loosen them, and clamp the plates together and retighten.

You can probably see that I also added a strip of rubber over the original worn pads to provide more adjustment range and improve the friction. But it's a compromise, the tighter they are, the less the glass will slide down but the harder they are to wind up. Some grease will help.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
10 Jul 2013 18:57 #4 by OKA in Africa
OKA in Africa replied the topic: Window winder replacement
I got the "clonk" !

After some sound attenuation and counter rattle activities with foam stripes and rubber mats I got the proper "clonk". No more vibration of the plastic door panel.

The window sliding mechanism is adjusted now. After I tried to follow Davids advice (thanks!) above the the window did slide less but after tensioning the plate next to the window handle (not shown in the picture above) the window stays in the position it is cranked.

Thank you and best regards

OKA #327 in Africa
www.oka4wd.com/forum/members-vehicles-pu...47-oka-327-in-africa

More
10 Jul 2013 20:38 #5 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Window winder replacement
OIA,what actually holds the window is the little spring inside the little drum behind the handle,it's like a mini clutch tighten by a spring and if one of the spring tabs brakes the window will head south during rough road travelling
Cheers,Joe
The following user(s) said Thank You: TH, DarrenWebster303