Turbo Exhaust

More
11 Jan 2013 07:53 #21 by Chris
Chris replied the topic: Turbo Exhaust
Thanks Pete

Will check it out tonight

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2013 20:50 #22 by Chris
Peter

I bought the .64 Housing hoping that the Turbine should spin up at much lower engine RPM

Cheers
Chris

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
11 Jan 2013 21:05 #23 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Turbo Exhaust
Thanks for that, I was going to swap the turbo for all the reasons listed above, earlier boost etc but have found since fitting the auto trans that the torque converter allows the engine to spin up earlier and get on boost much easier and the Oka is now much quicker off the mark and pulls better on hills, what little power that is available is there straight away as the engine never bogs down. With the manual box if you kept your foot into it boost would peak at about 17 psi, now with the auto it hardly gets past 15 psi as it lets the engine stay in the power range and it rarely revs past about 2500 rpm unless you have it locked in a gear and are flogging it over a sand dune.
As a result of less rpm's on the highway it uses less fuel overall when travelling. The decreased fuel consumption is also partly due to less drag with the Rockwell transfer case gone.
So I may leave the original turbo on for a while but the day may come when it needs replacement so all the info will be filed away, thanks.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
12 Jan 2013 18:04 #24 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: Turbo Exhaust
Chris have you touched the pipe work from the air filter to the turbo, well i thought it would not be so hard to do wrong, with little space and not long enough arms its a pain did not matter what i did the alighment of them was to far out to be just simple, had to make this addaptor and after 3 hrs it fits looks good, only the water to go and i will be able to fire her up , ours is also .64 housing , did you look for the hose kit it fits well with a few spares i also got the gaskets,mine arrived from the seller from taiwan in 5 working days ,it takes longer from sydney , got a photo of the addaptor will post later, cheers peter

More
12 Jan 2013 22:04 #25 by Chris
Pete

Your much further along than I am. But ordered gaskets and hoses on Friday. I was thinking of taking my water lines from the heater hoses.
I will have a go at making the waste gate bracket. I am also going to fit an air to air inter cooler so you will have done a trip around Oz by the time I finish my setup. But any photo's of your air cleaner set won't go a stray.

Cheers
Chris

More
13 Jan 2013 16:51 #26 by Peter334
Chris this is the air box to turbo connector, approx size is ,230mm long,50mm deep ,100mm wide with two 76mm tubes on apposing sides and ends, 3mm stainless, the angles you see are to suit fitment to mine, connected it today fits like a glove, one water line to go and new thermostat, here are some photos.

cheers peter
Attachments:

More
13 Jan 2013 17:47 #27 by Chris
Sweeeet !!!!

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
13 Jan 2013 22:59 #28 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Turbo Exhaust
Hate to jump on anyones parade but all those right angles will really muck up airflow, especially as I can appreciate the time and work that went into making it due to the lack of space etc.
Sure it will work but at an unknown cost to airflow and then performance.
When making these sort of things it is best to make it out of tube and then squash it to suit which maintains the overall duct size and avoids sharp corners etc.
The original Oka air intake setup restricts airflow before the air cleaner as it is so any more restriction isn't going to help.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
14 Jan 2013 17:10 #29 by Peter334
Peter if you work out the air space in the box it is the same size in area as the 76mm tube if you were to squash a tube to suit it would not be able to get it into the area and to the degree of angle required the distance between the two tubes is very short and as the inlet is the same size all the way through it is vertually a tube made flat. cheers peter