Ferry to Tasmania

• Ewart and Vivian Halford
  • Ewart and Vivian Halford's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 Aug 2016 19:49 #1 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford created the topic: Ferry to Tasmania
Well I have had tasie on the radar for some time now and at this point in time a visit in January next year has a good chance of coming off.
My question is has any one taken an oka on the ferry and did they have any problems.
I have checked on the web site and as my dimensions for a motor home are the same as a car except hight it is cost effective but I am concerned if I get to the ferry they will have one look at the oka and want to charge me an exorbitant fee.
Any comments or personnel story's would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ewart oka 365

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2016 21:02 - 11 Aug 2016 21:06 #2 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Ferry to Tasmania
We have twice taken our 40'bus and toad - separately of course to get the subsidy - and because the bus was registered in NSW as a motorhome, it wasn't that expensive. What is the classification of your OKA?
We had to do part of the booking on-line to get the discount and then ring up to complete the vehicle booking because their system couldn't handle it.
When you front up they will check the height just to make sure you will fit (but that is on your booking anyway) and may check the length to make sure you are not cheating
Last Edit: 11 Aug 2016 21:06 by Tony Lee.

More
12 Aug 2016 04:25 - 12 Aug 2016 04:30 #3 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Ferry to Tasmania
Ewart
I have taken 266 across many times as we live in Tas now.
You will have no issue with your Oka as long as you are booked as being above 2.1 m in height.
Get your booking in early as the prices increase the nearer you get to your sailing date and the spaces rapidly fill up. Altering bookings is free but in January you are really locked in to your booked time as the ferries are fully booked at that time of year. I once had a ticket price increase by $200 by delaying making the booking by 24hrs.

Don't do a day sailing on the return to Melbourne as you will arrive in the dark to heavy traffic with nowhere to camp.

When getting into Melbourne, be aware that the Montague Street bridge seems to take the top of high vehicles a couple of times a week. It is on the route north out of Melbourne. It has a 3m height limit which means exactly what it says. It's all too easy to get tied up in the traffic and not be aware of it. There is an easy detour around it, but not so easy at night.

Mainlanders make the mistake of thinking they can 'do Tasmania' in a couple of weeks, they can't . There is so much to see and so many really good free campsites packed into a relatively small space. That's the beauty of it. Our fuel is a bout 10c a litre more than the mainland but you use so little of it, no more 200km drives to the next camp, we seem to average around 50km and then stay a week.
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0
Attachments:
Last Edit: 12 Aug 2016 04:30 by PeteFox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, Joseph Baz

More
12 Aug 2016 05:40 #4 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Ferry to Tasmania
We overnighted on the street a couple of blocks from the ferry terminal.

More
12 Aug 2016 08:44 #5 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Ferry to Tasmania
Been a couple of times and the ferry is no drama.
s Peter says, you need lots of time there. It is a great destination for a 4WD motorhome. All the State forest areas are open and stunning spots abound.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
12 Aug 2016 10:10 - 12 Aug 2016 11:11 #6 by PeteFox

Tony Lee wrote: We overnighted on the street a couple of blocks from the ferry terminal.

Yes, We've done that too but its not a great idea because you have no idea as a non-local what the culture is where you decide to park.

Explainer:
One night we drove a couple of Kms along the foreshore and parked in the street and we were towing. After about an hour a few vehicles started to turn up and parked around us effectively blocking us in. It turns out that we had parked right in the middle of a gay pickup scene. People can do what they want, but this went on all night until another round started with a second round about 5am when the shift workers were knocking off. There were doors opening and closing all night with all sorts of vehicles getting a suspension workout.
There is also a security van driving around with a searchlight that shines on all the vehicles - didn't seem to worry our neighbours.

Do yourself a favour and do a night trip on the ferry going north.

Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Last Edit: 12 Aug 2016 11:11 by PeteFox.

More
12 Aug 2016 17:53 #7 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: Ferry to Tasmania
Thank to everyone.
Tony it is still licences as a tray back, I forgot to get it changed over before the wife paid the rego, then will be registered as a van.
Peter I was thinking of doing both ways at night as I thought it would be better to get off in tasie in the morning so as not to have to worry about were to camp. I'm tad over 2.7 mtrs high,

Was looking at some trips today, I figured 6 week minimum but that wil depend on the money at the time.

Cheers

Ewart oka 365

More
13 Aug 2016 14:27 #8 by John and Bronwyn
John and Bronwyn replied the topic: Ferry to Tasmania
Re low clearances: there is a map available from VicRoads: www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/~/media/files/do...dsnov2009.ashx?la=en

HOWEVER I know of a couple of low bridges in our area which are not on it - one in particular (an obvious connection berween the Princes Hwy and the Hyland Hwy) has claimed quite a few victims.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ewart and Vivian Halford

More
11 Sep 2016 18:30 #9 by OKA370
OKA370 replied the topic: Ferry to Tasmania
Campervans/Motorhomes
Less than 2 metres wide
Length of vehicle Low demand High demand
0.01 - 5.30 $89 $89
5.31 - 6.00 $99 $99

Low season or (Low demand)

01 July 16 - 04 Dec 16
18 Feb 17 - 02 Apr 17
01 May 17 - 03 Dec 17
17 Feb 18 - 18 Mar 18
16 Apr 18 - 30 Nov 18

High Season or (High demand)

05 Dec 16 - 17 Feb 17
03 Apr 17 - 30 Apr 17
04 Dec 17 - 16 Feb 18
19 Mar 18 - 15 Apr 18

This was the relevant information I was able to find. Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz, Ewart and Vivian Halford

More
11 Sep 2016 18:37 #10 by OKA370
OKA370 replied the topic: Ferry to Tasmania
Measuring length of vehicle

This should be the full length of the vehicle and towed item including the drawbar, bike racks, gas cylinders etc. The vehicle length will be automatically pre-populated upon selection of vehicle make and model details. The trailer or caravan length will need to be manually entered during the booking process. Please ensure that the total length of the vehicle is correct before you proceed to check out.

Measuring height of vehicle

Vehicle height must include roof racks, and any additional items stored on the roof of the vehicle such as kayaks, luggage, bicycles etc.

It is important that you provide correct vehicle height details at the time of booking. Whilst there is no extra cost attached to vehicle height, providing the correct height assists with vehicle loading and ensures you are parked on the correct deck. Failure to advise us of the correct height of your vehicle prior to travel may result in your passage being denied at check-in if there is insufficient vehicle space on the required vehicle deck.

Copied directly from from website

More
11 Sep 2016 22:45 #11 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Ferry to Tasmania
Ewart, although it's 10 years since we did the ferry trip (October to Dec 2005), our Oka wasn't measured on boarding so I guess length is more of a pricing issue. There was tons of room on the car deck and we were mixed in with huge semi-trailers so an Oka is small fry by comparison and I doubt height is an issue, but things can change....

I seem to recall gas bottles have to be disconnected/turned off (although again no one checked) so gas fridge contents are at risk.

We spent 6 weeks there circumnavigating the island and we didn't see all of it, so planning another trip next year. Great place and easy to get around and camp. Watch out for leeches on the damp vegetation.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ewart and Vivian Halford

More
12 Sep 2016 05:43 #12 by PeteFox

Ewart and Vivian Halford wrote: Thank to everyone.
Tony it is still licences as a tray back,

Cheers

Ewart,
Tas Ferries won't care about what you Oka is registered as . They are only interested in how much deck space you take up and whether you are eligible for the Federel Rebate, which is supposed to "equalise" the cost compared to the cost of travelling on a highway.
If you declare it as a motorhome then it is elegible for the rebate. The rebate for my next crossing is $440 for the return trip. If you declare as a light truck you will not get the rebate. Trailers or vans do not get the rebate just the tug. My 4.2m long trailer has cost up to $600 each way in peak time.
I have been travelling across here multiple times per year for over ten years and have never had my rego or length checked. As you approach the ticket check-in booth there is a metre scale painted on the ground ground and I have only seen it used once to check a vehicle length. You will have no issues. Your vehicle rego number is used to identify you so they can issue you the correct boarding pass. You will cause mass confusion if you have changed it or typed it incorrectly in the online form.
Quarantine is a big deal here. No fruit or veggies unless frozen, same goes for fish. If you vehicle is muddy you will be pressure cleaning it courtesy of quarantine. Make sure any fishing gear is clean and free from scales or you will lose it. Declare any dogs and make sure they have had the correct drug for hydatid worm ( Tas doesn't have hydatid) and keep the receipt. Tas quarantine are right onto this and will fine you.
Your gas bottles will be checked in Melbourne. Any bottles not restrained will have to he handed in for collection at the other end, this includes those disposable butane ones. Jerry cans are also an issue. Must be empty. If there is petrol vapour in them you,will either be leaving them behind of filling with water from the tap provided.

Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, Joseph Baz, outyonda, Rick Whitworth, Ewart and Vivian Halford, catdav

More
13 Sep 2016 06:02 #13 by PeteFox

Ewart and Vivian Halford wrote: Peter I was thinking of doing both ways at night as I thought it would be better to get off in tasie in the morning so as not to have to worry about were to camp.

Cheers

Ewart
It is not necessary to get into Deveonport (Tas) in the morning in order to find a camp. If coming in summer it is daylight till 9.30 pm anyway so plenty of time to find a camp after a day crossing. Day travel will save you a couple of hundred over a night crossing with a room.
There is a very good 48hr free camp at Forth football ground which is about 15 mins from the ferry terminal. Easy to find, plenty of spaces, pub with meals across the road.
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab

The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, DarrenWebster303

More
13 Sep 2016 19:50 #14 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: Ferry to Tasmania
Thanks Pete, you have sold me on that. How could you better having you first meal in tasie at a pub.

Cheers

Ewart oka 365
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul