OKA Gathering 2018

More
21 Sep 2017 20:47 - 21 Sep 2017 20:48 #21 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
No one says we are limited to one gathering per year. :)

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 21 Sep 2017 20:48 by Peter_n_Margaret.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2017 05:18 #22 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Maralinga Atomic Test Site, now do tours 3 Days 2 Nights and worth the trip
If you are looking at Western South Australia then look at Starting Here
www.maralingatours.com.au/
I have done this tour and will be going back,
Fantastic Place with loads of history

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD. $150.00 Delivered
### OKA Manuals Now Available as a Download ###.

20mm Spring Hanger Pin Upgrade Kits.

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: outyonda

More
23 Sep 2017 05:43 - 23 Sep 2017 06:08 #23 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Having done the Anne Beadell and Emu atomic test sites (with David in 2008), and stood at the site of a test explosion, albeit 55 years later, the Maralinga tour is certainly of interest to us.

Probably not the best place for a rowdy Oka gathering but not too far from the south coast, so possibly a good pre or post gathering trip.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 23 Sep 2017 06:08 by dandjcr.

More
03 Oct 2017 07:04 #24 by mort
mort replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Hi All,
I have been speaking to some owners recently about a gathering with the same result which is interested but not too enthusiastic.
The main reason is that to travel vast distances just to camp up for a few days to look at OKA's and have a chin wag is not really worth it.
some one said that he really wants to go somewhere where he can practice and get experience on what the OKA can do as he doesn't have the confidence to take it off road on his own. That got me to thinking of my own experience, I had asked my prospecting friends if they want to come out to take the OKA through its paces but as they said if we get stuck you can pull us out but if you get stuck how do we pull you out.
Up until I went on the Kimberley trip I questioned what can the OKA do now I ask what cant it do.
There is a lot of owners out there that dont know half of what their vehicle can do so as a suggestion what about a gathering in a location where there is an obstacle course of sorts so those who want to sit around the camp can and those who want to hone their skills can.
There is a farm in northern NSW or lower QLD that has a 4 x 4 track of different grades that could work and I do recall one in Vic I think there is a farm that OKA used as a test site north of Perth also.
Its another suggestion that may have merit.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
03 Oct 2017 07:35 #25 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Great idea Martyn, count me in!

More
03 Oct 2017 08:13 - 03 Oct 2017 08:29 #26 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Here is a WA one. Looks good and give the WA blokes a chance.

www.4-wheeling-in-western-australia.com/...-road-adventure.html

And here is another selection. Looks like plenty around.

www.club4x4.com.au/4wd-parks/

I have been to lots of these parks but the ones within striking distance of cities come with complimentary dead beat yobbos in their V8 Hilux's, noise till midnight and wheelies near the camping area. They get tossed out but only the next morning when the damage is done. You need to go during the week, holidays and long weekends are a risk.

I think the further afield parks or at least regulated entry parks are the way to go if you want this sort of gathering. Looks like some nice parks on the link above.

Lang
Last Edit: 03 Oct 2017 08:29 by Lang.

More
03 Oct 2017 19:54 #27 by Peter_n_Margaret
Have to say that these places don't excite me at all. We would prefer some place in the bush where the challenges are real rather than contrived and there is a reason for stressing the vehicle.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214
The following user(s) said Thank You: outyonda, Paul , Dave and Pauline Gray, Lang

More
04 Oct 2017 07:06 - 04 Oct 2017 07:09 #28 by mort
Yes Peter I would normally agree but it was a suggestion to start the thought processes going.
I live in W.A. and wouldnt go that distance for a few days I was thinking of the rest of the members over that side as they were the ones that I had spoken to.
There is a huge amount of locations compared to this side and yes they may not appeal to the seasoned traveller but one has to start somewhere and wouldnt it be a good opportunity to bring the inexperienced members along who feel left out and therefore dont participate or maybe that is what is wanted after-all it is just a gathering not an expedition .
Martyn
Last Edit: 04 Oct 2017 07:09 by mort.

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
04 Oct 2017 07:58 #29 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Mort all of the get togethers I've attended have always been more of a social get together rather than a 4wd trip as such, any 4wding has been to actually access the chosen site. The rest of the time has been spent sitting around flapping our gums, fixing mechanical problems encountered by some participants enroute, checking out each others Oka's and generally lazing about.
A get together aimed at teaching driver and/or vehicle capabilities is more the domain of a specific time and place thing.
As a certified 4wd instructor in a previous life I would suggest anyone that hasn't done any 4wding and wishes to learn should either attend a paid course in the basics or alternatively join a 4wd club that runs such a course as part of their activities.
Apart from that once the basics have been learnt then only time spent behind the wheel is the best teacher.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T-Rex 146

More
04 Oct 2017 08:11 #30 by Dave and Pauline Gray
Dave and Pauline Gray replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Maybe a trip incorporating some desert sandhills and then coastal tracks with experienced vehicles and crews scattered through the group if it has say 10 plus vehicles so I.m thinking WA and Eastern states mobs possible meet at Cooper Pedy then proceed to Googs track and finishing at Fowlers Bay this will allow people to carry on with something else or return to their homes.with exit and join up points in the trip.
Those from WA could meet say Leanora and travel GCR and Stewart Hwy then return WA via Eyre Hwy.
Probably a months travelling in this but it gives a bit of off road travel with some maintained gravel hwy and 2 major resupply places.
Not the perfect plan by any means but with the vastness of this country its never going to suit everyone its just thrown in to expand the thoughts of those who are interested.
Cheers Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, Dean and Kaye Howells, Paul Scherek, Chris126, Lang

More
04 Oct 2017 09:17 #31 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Dave read my mind, I was going to suggest Googs track, it's been 12 years since we did that, our first track.

Not too long or difficult, just enough to test the car and driver, and not too far from help (north from Ceduna).

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:

More
04 Oct 2017 10:37 #32 by Peter_n_Margaret
The other return alternative would be Nullarbor roadhouse, Cook, Voakes Hill Corner and west on the Anne Beadell.
The drive north over the Nullarbor is very different.
None of it is too hard.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214
Attachments:

More
04 Oct 2017 12:04 #33 by Dave and Pauline Gray
Dave and Pauline Gray replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
Good Idea Peter any lets say novice team which did the whole trip could certainly be elevated to expiereced.

Cheers Dave

More
04 Oct 2017 12:10 - 05 Oct 2017 05:34 #34 by mort
Hi Peter and others,
I didnt say a get-together aimed at teaching and yes it is more the domain of a specific time and place as with every event including a get-together where one flaps their gums and lazes about.
I would think that anyone owning an OKA already knows the basics I was thinking more of getting the confidence of the OKA in particular.
I would have thought this was a 4wd club of sorts.
Peter did say at the top of the page that there is no reason not to hold more than one event per year ....maybe the way to go.
Martyn
P.S.
There always seems to be negativity attached to this site or at least some members come across as negative to things that they dont first bring up or is outside of their experience.
Last Edit: 05 Oct 2017 05:34 by mort.

More
04 Oct 2017 12:27 #35 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
I for one think a travelling Oka meet is a wonderful idea. I am not really much good at just sitting around all day - but travelling and then stopping early enough for a good campfire and yarn is just the thing. Googs Track seems like a great choice but I am happy with any travelling meet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: outyonda, Chris126

More
04 Oct 2017 12:54 #36 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
I too would rather us do a trip (or part thereof for those with limited time) as a group than the sit around deal. Maybe a combined operation such as a travelers run on the Googs Track ending at somewhere suitable to join those just wanting the meet and greet event.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris126

More
04 Oct 2017 17:33 #37 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
What about Googs Lake as a venue ?

Easy half day drive (2WD in Oka but 4WD from dog fence if vehicle/track sympathetic) from Ceduna, byo everything including water and firewood (easily gathered along the way). Long drop toilet on site and plenty of room. :)

Traveling south down Googs Track a bit harder (for northerners) but easily Oka doable though the dunes were pretty chopped up on our south/north trip earlier this year.

Recommended travel direction is south to north which gives the opportunity for an overnight nostalgic stay at Kingoonya for us 'old' Centralian travellers :)

Deano :)

More
04 Oct 2017 18:17 #38 by mort
Here is some links to other shortish trips, there is enough to do one or more every year
Martyn
www.hemamaps.com/explore/tracks/googs-track
www.hemamaps.com/plan/location-guides/of...82caa3dba7-421506685

More
06 Oct 2017 13:18 #39 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
When I first bought Oka 45 back in 2011 I joined the Oka form
I must say that you do a great job in keeping the site going
Anyway I joined the site and on there was would anybody be interested in doing the CSR
I think there where about 20 starters on that one
Somehow the trip was Brocken up into 3 stages the first was lead by Peter and Sandra James and 5 Oka ( well done Peter ) that was the Simpson desert
The second was the abandoned Gunbarrell and the Gunbarrell with 4 Okas
And the third was the CSR from south to North with 3 Okas an a lone wolf but that is another story .... fun was done by all and a lot was learnt along the way
So it might be an idea to do something like that again ( not the same track ) but just an idea fior some ...... others like to travel alone or in small groups
Small groups are a little easier as waiting for say 20 Okas going over a difficult hill would almost take all day :) and is a lot of work for the trip leaders as we know and you old trip leaders also know .
Oka gathering is what the word says a gathering how one gets to the place is up to them . On the last gathering I was asked by a Queenslander if I would take him through the back of Canberra it Geehi and was just to happy to do so, did a bit of 4wd and had a great night out camping:) anyhow that is my 2 bobs worth for now cheers

Oka 045 the WIDE Motorhome 6bt cummins 500 watt solar diesel heating gas cooking up grade LSD front and rear diffs to 4:56 from 4:88 . 320 lt fuel 153 lt fresh water in 3 separate tanks 3 house batteries 1 start battery 176 lt upright fridge/freezer Black dog security
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarrenWebster303

More
07 Oct 2017 09:25 #40 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: OKA Gathering 2018
OK, my 2 bobs,
Couple of things, would it be a good idea to select 2-3-4 different areas or sites in Qld,NSW,VIC maybe SA (remembering its the East Coast OKA gathering) and rotating them from year to year so that people can plan ahead...unfortunately we still have a business to run, mortgages to pay all that boring stuff. not retired yet.
Also should we have the get together the week after Australia Day to get away from school holidays and all those ...none OKA types.We generally never go away when there is any type of holiday as we bought an OKA to get away from the rat race.
I think i said this last year I'm happy to help organise the get together on any of the Qld beaches such as Fraser, Morton...good 4 wheeling a bit of fishing,relaxing all that stuff (And no the beaches wont damage your truck if you go there every blue moon and know how to use a hose when you get home)
We've enjoyed the OKA get together's and will certainly try to make it to the next one,
Lets keep the OKA dream alive!
cheers Robb
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg