Load Sensing Valve

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
22 Sep 2019 11:00 #21 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Load Sensing Valve
Rick the actual valve is from an early Holden 1 tonner same as
I have a friend with one and I'll ask him if he has a manual and if it covers adjusting the valve.
I have done similar to Lang suggested to adjust it and then try on a loose dirt road to see where it locks up.
A couple of years ago the local servo stopped doing annual heavy vehicle rego inspections and I had to take the Oka to a truck place and they put it on a rolling road to test the brakes, first try the rear on the Oka couldn't even slow the rollers down, I hopped under and let the proportioning valve arm go and sit up against the floor, the brakes worked well then! Since then I've fiddled around with the adjustment after resetting the rear springs and it is now braking pretty evenly.
I've found that if the Oka starts to suffer from squeaky brakes under light brake application then it is a sign that the rears aren't braking as hard as they should.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2019 12:03 #22 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Load Sensing Valve
My brake tests were actually done on a sealed runway, but in any case, you DO NOT want the rears to lock without the fronts because the consequence is that the vehicle is likely to swap ends and in trying to do that is likely to fall over.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
22 Sep 2019 12:23 #23 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Load Sensing Valve
The later model holden VT VS utes had a similar unit to the one tonners but it has a different mounting bracket but parts might be interchangeable.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
22 Sep 2019 15:51 #24 by mort
mort replied the topic: Load Sensing Valve
Hi Rick,
Well that is a good question.
The balance between front and rear is usually 60% front 40% rear or there abouts depending on vehicle.
There are a few ways to do this.
1 take it to a brake place that has rollers and set up for it usually truck service centers.
2 get a set of manual ajusters which the driver can set while driving like race cars.( too much trouble )
3 do it yourself ajust drive brake ajust drive brake untill you are happy the only thing is you wont know what the % is between front and rear.
At the moment you have the rear doing most of the braking which in an emergency braking its not good.
Martyn