Turbo upgrade

More
25 May 2016 07:29 #101 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
I have had email update from factory technicians dont see a problem and will confirm by weeks end.
I will be placing order for the LT model in the next few days and also XT when I get positive result.
I am going on a trip in July for approx 8 weeks so will be out of action which means I cant wait for latecomers otherwise it holds up everyone so the numbers are 27 Turbos now if you havnt put in order now is the time.
Later today I will send private message, email or SMS to all that ordered with bank details if you dont get one contact me.
Martyn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2016 09:54 #102 by Frank
Frank replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Well I'm on the way with my changes.

Exhaust removed, straight thru muffler purchased ($125), 3m 3" tubing ($75), 4 x bends ($88), flanges gaskets ($35).

Air filter removed.
I decided against the OptiAir 1100 simply because of its stick out lid aspect.
Have ordered a Donaldson EPG model G110119 ($258). this is a smaller diameter and shorter than the OptiAir, and with less restriction.
Minus is that it has a 6" inlet connection (5" outlet), and I have removed the panel to the rear of the air cleaner location and will hopefully install it via this access and recut my external hole to suit. Will let you know in a couple of weeks if I can get it to fit. I agree with Rick on the Powercube, they tried to sell me one of these, but the inlet is simply in the wrong place.

I did a lot of driving (flat road, Roe Hwy, 100kph limit) and testing prior to this to try and determine if turbo and air/exhaust changes will be worthwhile (results tabulated below, my RPM is not accurate (not recalibrated since swapping alternators))

Test Condition Maximum Boost(psi) (usually 3rd gear 2400RPM) Boost (psi) @ kph EGT(degC) RPM Gear Notes
Existing 10 7.5 100 520 1800 5
Existing, No external cover 11 8 100 550 1800 5
No primary, No cover 11 100 550 1800 5
No primary or secondary, no cover 14-15 9 100 420 1800 5
New secondary, no primary or cover 14-15 9 100 500 1800 5
New secondary & primary no cover 14-15 8 100 500 1800 5 boost varies depending on with or against wind
New Airfilters, ext cover on 13 9 100 500 1800 5
New Airfilters, cover on, No Exhaust 15+ 6 100 500-550 1800 5 noticeable improvement on acceleration
New filters, no cover, no exhaust 15+ 6 100 450 2000 5 why is RPM diff, retest?
as prior, up Kalamunda Hill 12 60 500 2000 3

My conclusions,
getting rid of baffled muffler - a priority.
removing air filter cover removes the inlet restriction due to the snorkel and alloy S bend.

I have not tested with other s bend removed (the one between filter and turbo), might do that today.

also, my air filter has the inner shroud removed completely (done some time ago).
other item i noticed is that there is some sort of fuel governor on the perkins, when accelerating in 3rd, RPMS reach about 2400, maximum boost is reached (14-15+), and then the boost dies back to about 11 and sits there.

looks like multiple spaces are truncated to single spaces

Frank & Christine Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

More
25 May 2016 10:06 - 25 May 2016 16:02 #103 by mort
Now for the inter-cooler.
I got one off Ebay about $200 400x300x80 with 3" spigots entry from each end if I had to get another I would look for one that had entry in the front that way a bigger one could fit in.
I mounted underneath where winch goes with piping of 2.5" all the way to and from running along the subframe of cab and then over engine at the back its out of the way and if it had the potential to rub I protected with off-cuts from bends etc.
To ensure good airflow I installed expanded mesh on the correct side to collect air from bash-plate,I know some people have complained about the weight etc but I Dont find it an issue and in fact I made a new one that is bigger and covers better.
The 135Ti came out std with an air to water inter-cooler mounted on side or top of engine with coolant being engine coolant you could do the same or install a dedicated cooling system I personally dont see the need, keep it simple.
The last photo you can just see I have a rubber skirt from bottom of inter-cooler to bash-plate to direct as much air as possible through inter-cooler
See photos all self explaining (I have a problem with photos so when I get them up)

Last Edit: 25 May 2016 16:02 by mort.

More
25 May 2016 10:17 #104 by Frank
Frank replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
lets try that table again
Test ConditionMaximum Boost(psi)
(usually 3rd gear 2400RPM)
Boost (psi)@ kphEGT(degC)RPMGearNotes
Existing107.510052018005
Existing, No external cover11810055018005
No primary, No cover1110055018005
No primary or secondary, no cover14-15910042018005
New secondary, no primary or cover14-15910050018005
New secondary & primary no cover14-15810050018005boost varies depending on with or against wind
New Airfilters, ext cover on13910050018005
New Airfilters, cover on, No Exhaust15+6100500-55018005noticeable improvement on acceleration
New filters, no cover, no exhaust15+610045020005why is RPM diff, retest?
as prior, up Kalamunda Hill126050020003

Frank & Christine Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, mort, Rick Whitworth

More
25 May 2016 10:27 - 25 May 2016 10:29 #105 by mort
That was a test Frank did that I knew he was taking it for a test drive but I took no part in and only saw the results the next day but it clearly shows the difference the exhaust and filter and/or restrictions can make to an engines performance not just a Perkins but any engine.
Do the job properly and you will not be disapointed
Martyn
Last Edit: 25 May 2016 10:29 by mort.

More
25 May 2016 13:19 - 25 May 2016 13:21 #106 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Frank wrote: Have ordered a Donaldson EPG model G110119 ($258)

Frank,
this looks like the best compromise. Will be really interested in your installation, especially how to best use top or bottom mountings. Also looks like inlet is a bit closer to snorkel leaving less room for the 2 x 90 bends.
Thanks for your stats.
Stainless skin on your truck looks awesome ...will last forever.
Rick
Last Edit: 25 May 2016 13:21 by Rick Whitworth.

More
25 May 2016 16:23 #107 by mort
I am now sending out bank details as the LT turbos will be ordered on Friday and as soon as I get conformation from factory I will order XT models.
If you dont get bank details today let me know as there is 27 to send it will take time.
When paying identify yourself by XT/LT (model required) and name e.g. LT Martyn Swift so I can identify who paid and confirm model required.
At the moment the numbers are 27 so that is $775.00 each so a deposit of 50% is $387.50 if you wish to make full payment that is fine if anything goes wrong other than you just want to change your mind a full refund will be made if more orders come in at the last minute and the price comes down then a refund of the difference will be made.
Please check private messages,emails or SMS for bank details.
Martyn

More
25 May 2016 18:12 #108 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Martyn,
I have deposited $775 in your account as payment for an XT version.
It would be a good idea for the supplier to send ONE XT for test fit before producing all XTs
Rick

More
25 May 2016 21:13 #109 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Martyn
I have deposited also for a LT.
Once Turbos have been built are they sent from Factory or do you have to send each one.
Obviously we still have to pay for postage and remainder as the case maybe.
Thanks for all your hard work.
Peter

More
26 May 2016 10:18 #110 by mort
Hi Peter
At this point the Turbos will be delivered to myself but I am looking into the chance of individual addresses at least to locations within city limits as long as it doesn't increase shipping cost and using Aus post to outer locations.
Martyn

More
26 May 2016 10:22 #111 by mort
Hi Rick
I will wait usually they will send photo and measurements if all appear to be within spec then I will give go ahead or I will get it shipped express and fit if the measurements appear tight.
Martyn

More
26 May 2016 10:51 #112 by ABE
ABE replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Mort,
Just sent you a PM. Tried phoning, assume you are sick of us by now trying to get us in touch. Yes please I will take one Turbo Special build for an LT. I have sent you info on the PM to contact me via my own email, phone etc.

Regards
ABE Tony

ABE Tony

More
27 May 2016 09:04 - 27 May 2016 09:07 #113 by mort
Hi All
All on the list have paid except 2 plus 2 came in at the last minute so the numbers are still the same.
I have been in communication with the factory through this process so they were only waiting on final numbers which I have now given them so they will start production fairly quickly on the LT model.
We have been looking at shipping so they are negotiating with TNT and DHL as to what can be done, at this stage it looks like individual shipping to addresses in capital cities and the remote towns sent to Perth and I will post out from here or sent to an address in capital city and when next in town can pick up.
Either way as it comes close to the time we will have something sorted
Martyn
Last Edit: 27 May 2016 09:07 by mort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John and Bronwyn

More
27 May 2016 10:36 - 27 May 2016 12:20 #114 by mort
One thing that is as or more important is the cowling outside the old OKA one is ok however it was made of a very flimsy plastic and broke easy from I guess close branches but instead of making a replacement stronger all that was available was the NT model its nice and strong, sleek and sexy looking however the opening is too small and a source of major restriction. I did buy one when I first got my OKA but before I installed I calculated the opening and threw it away, what is the alternative well I couldn't find one so remodelled a temporary one from something I found at Bunnings until I can find a place who can fabricate one.My existing one faces forward and the problem is that when I go bush any tree that is close enough the suction is so strong now that I will strip the leaves straight off the trees, I had to clean out the filter and snorkel on the last trip of 3 handfuls of leaves and twigs, so facing down or back will be better.
Those who have installed the NT one may want to check the opening size and consider that the new Turbo will push in more air and if you go for a 4" snorkel etc ask yourself how much free space is in that cowling.
Martyn
PS If anyone knows a friendly fabricator who can make one at a reasonable price there may be a few who would want one I would think 30 or so.
Last Edit: 27 May 2016 12:20 by mort.

More
27 May 2016 12:48 #115 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
I'm assuming that you aren't expecting payment for the XT versions until you verify that it will fit OK?

More
27 May 2016 14:28 - 28 May 2016 14:46 #116 by mort
Hi Tony
Monies for the XT are not required until confirmed fitment however everyone bar 2 have paid either 100% or less down to 50% that money is held in a separate Acc created for this purpose and will only be touched when I need to pay factory. If the factory gives me the result today I can immediately place order if I am happy and only when happy but if good result to-day then I need to notify everyone and wait till payments made which also confirms the model required but also their conviction.
So if someone hasn't paid yet for an XT model it is still OK but unless I am told....I do not want one any more that is why I have not paid how will I know what the final numbers are
Martyn
Last Edit: 28 May 2016 14:46 by mort.

More
27 May 2016 20:13 #117 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Monies for the XT are not required until confirmed fitment

OK, thanks Martyn, that's what I thought. Just wanted to check that was your thinking too.

I'll check here and PMs at least a couple of times a day and once you give the OK, I'll transfer the money immediately

More
30 May 2016 11:29 #118 by mort
I have had reply from factory re XT model they sent 2 photos of changes but not suitable and I think there was confusion with what I wanted so more photos sent with simple instructions so much so even Hilda understood, reply this morning saying they now get it so with technicians to sort out how to achieve result.
Martyn

More
30 May 2016 11:39 #119 by mort
I have been talking to 2 different people re cowl mainly because I want one but if there is interest I could get more made.
I am wanting something like the original XT LT plastic one but possibly in fibreglass, ally or stainless.So if your are interested let your thoughts be known
Martyn

More
30 May 2016 22:58 #120 by Jo and Al
Jo and Al replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Thanks to Martyn for taking the time on Saturday morning to explain in detail
the exciting new upgrade now badged as “The SWIFT Side” and Al took his OKA
for a drive and was impressed by the performance. We are very grateful he has
generously shared all his knowledge and has enhanced the Perkins performance
for any interested OKA owner.
Cable shift… yes please
More grunt on the blacktop….bring it on
Now this maybe a short and not very mechanical blurb, but trust me I did follow
the discussion about turbos inlets outlets cable shift air filter intercooler etc, I didn’t
rewrite what has already been written.
Jo

Big Al & S'Jo
OKA 159
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg