Turbo upgrade

More
31 May 2016 15:51 #121 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

mort wrote: ......................... I am wanting something like the original XT LT plastic one but possibly in fibreglass, ............................
Martyn

Something like this ?

Heavy duty fibreglass from Ian Jones a couple of years ago.

Deano :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2016 09:20 #122 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Deano
They look fine my only issue is are they strong enough if you remember on the last trip on the Holland track there was some close trees and I had lost some side clearance lights so a branch hitting that cowl could do some damage and I dont want anything preventing me from taking tracks or bush because I might damage something so if I can get ally or stainless that may take a hit without too much damage.
Martyn

More
02 Jun 2016 17:33 #123 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
You can build fibreglass as strong as you want.

Ewart oka 365

More
03 Jun 2016 08:22 #124 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
I reckon they're plenty strong enough Martyn. I trashed my original OKA plastic one on the CSR 5 years ago and replaced it with one of Ian Jones's fibreglass replacements. Since then its done two trips of the Anne Beadell Hwy the old Gunbarrell twice, crossed the Great Sandy Desert with David and Dave and survived Hollands Track and various other challenges without damage.

It cost me around $30 at the time. Ian also has replacement door inner panels in fibreglass as well.

Deano :)

More
03 Jun 2016 08:52 #125 by Dave and Pauline Gray
Dave and Pauline Gray replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
I reckon it dosent matter which material is used it still mounts off the same vehicle panel so I reckon I would sooner have the cowl damaged than the panel or fixings torn,definitely a more expensive problem.

Cheers Dave

More
03 Jun 2016 21:18 #126 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Anything that presents a surface sticking out at right angles to the direction of travel is liable to getting impact damage or even getting wiped off completely unless it has extra protection or is shaped to deflect tree branches and tree trunks.

More
04 Jun 2016 07:41 #127 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Attachments:

More
04 Jun 2016 07:53 #128 by mort
Dave,Deano,Tony and Ewart you are all right so it is a matter of picking a design and material that can meet the needs of all and yes if you stick to the bitumen nothing gets damaged or Peters unit has his cowling protected with the added bonus of a built in ladder.
Martyn

More
04 Jun 2016 08:03 #129 by mort
Update on the XT Turbo
I have had photos back for the latest design and they have moved the actuator between 40-50mm and adjusted the waste-gate lever to suite so today I will go over to check against an XT that has been kindly lent for checking, experimenting ect and if it clears with room then I will go ahead or if a bit close I will get it sent over and install to test.
I will let you know how it goes.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, Rick Whitworth, John and Bronwyn, 210greg

More
04 Jun 2016 10:22 - 04 Jun 2016 10:58 #130 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

dandjcr wrote: The Turbo Update topic is "Trending" as they say, so I've extracted all the text (excluding a few admin comments) into a single pdf file which makes it a bit easier to follow and read off-line. (Right-click to download).
David

I've updated this document to 4th June here .

This is a text only version. Sorry, I tried uploading a full version with photos but it was rejected: "File size too large, contact your System Administrator". Pffft!

I'll try again later.

Regards, David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 04 Jun 2016 10:58 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Scherek, DarrenWebster303

More
04 Jun 2016 18:05 #131 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Sounds good!
Guess the gear change rods are hefty enough that an angle grinder might resolve any minor interference with the turbo

More
04 Jun 2016 21:27 - 04 Jun 2016 21:36 #132 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Tony Lee wrote: Sounds good!
Guess the gear change rods are hefty enough that an angle grinder might resolve any minor interference with the turbo

I gave mine a "minor" adjustment to clear the new turbo.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Attachments:
Last Edit: 04 Jun 2016 21:36 by Peter_n_Margaret.

More
06 Jun 2016 08:44 - 06 Jun 2016 08:46 #133 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

dandjcr wrote: The Turbo Update topic is "Trending" as they say, so I've extracted all the text (excluding a few admin comments) into a single pdf file which makes it a bit easier to follow and read off-line.
David

I've updated this document to 4th June (4.4mB, includes photos). You can use this link to access it from my Dropbox account, and then click Download if you want to.

Regards, David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 06 Jun 2016 08:46 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mort, bobrichards

More
07 Jun 2016 08:57 #134 by mort
I had spent Saturday at Franks place using/abusing his OKA (thank you Frank) checking the measurements and photos against his XT and the conclusion is its too close so more photos and measurements taken and sent off to the factory I have now just received a reply back they understand the details and will try again and let me know as soon as they come up with an answer.
Have patience or get an LT.
I have had the opportunity to experienced a cable shift not driven as it is off the road for work but sat in it and pretended to drive, it is easy and smooth to change gears the adjustment is so precise and cable frees up a lot of space so maybe it is something to look at in the future
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, Rick Whitworth, John and Bronwyn, 210greg

More
09 Jun 2016 11:01 #135 by mort
I have sent P.Ms to some of you as I didnt have addresses and as the LT turbos should be ready around 20/06 and most should be sent direct via TNT cannot be P.O. box and contact phone required so if you have a PM send me your details if you dont have a PM I already have it.
Martyn

More
10 Jun 2016 14:36 #136 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Any tricks on removing old turbo with regard to connection with the exhaust manifold. I imagine after decades of rust and extreme heat the studs will be very brittle.

More
10 Jun 2016 20:34 #137 by mort
Peter surprisingly I had no trouble removing Turbo nuts I did however decide to replace the studs on the head with no trouble but the studs on the manifold were difficult some vice-grips and effort they did come out what was a little difficult was removing the dump pipe from the turbo a bit of levering with tyre irons and eventually its off I think the worst part is cramped for space.
I will put up some more instructions with photos soon but it is relatively easy or maybe after so many times I can say that ha
Martyn

More
12 Jun 2016 09:31 #138 by jacook
jacook replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
G'day Martyn,

As I've just come on board with our new purchase, LT304 Andre to the timings, I relise I may have missed out on ordering one of your turbos.

Is it still possible to jump on the end of the line or will there be more available in the future?

Regards,

Jon

More
13 Jun 2016 06:23 #139 by mort
Hi Jon
The Turbos for the LT model are in production and nearing the end so it is a bit late however there may be a production over-run I have sent an email but still to hear back it may be possible to include 1 in the production of the XT model failing that I did indicate in the beginning that this was a 1 off offer but there has been a lot of interest so maybe we may do a second run if the numbers are there in the future failing that I did order 1 for some one who is away ( and isnt aware ) so if he has changed his mind you can have that one.
Martyn

More
13 Jun 2016 07:59 - 13 Jun 2016 08:00 #140 by mort
An update
I woke to an email from factory
The LT model turbo has finished production and is being packed ready for shipping so about a week early they have produced an XT model which is being sent over for test fitting before final ordering.
Martyn
Last Edit: 13 Jun 2016 08:00 by mort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth, 210greg