Turbo upgrade

More
16 Jun 2016 07:19 #141 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
The turbos are in transit somewhere in the clouds and should be ready for delivery on the 21st but there has been a problem,I guess the factory was too eager to send as I did ask for updates often as I was going on holiday on the 1st July and wanted all cleared up before I left so I didn't send addresses as I was expecting a completion date of the 20th and as I still was short 3 addresses by the time I sent what I had dispatch had already sent to TNT and TNT had sent paperwork to customs for export clearance so delivery to my address and I will forward via Aus post.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, John and Bronwyn, 210greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2016 09:48 #142 by darren lilly
darren lilly replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Martyn just checking I dont think I gave you my mailing address, didnt get a email or pm requesting this info can you comfirm if you have it . Thanks Darren

More
17 Jun 2016 10:05 #143 by mort
No Darren I dont have send P/M
Martyn

More
17 Jun 2016 10:07 #144 by mort
So Turbos have arrived this morning in Perth now awaiting clearances and delivery
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
17 Jun 2016 14:17 - 17 Jun 2016 14:23 #145 by mort
Good news the turbos have arrived and I have paid all charges now just awaiting paperwork, I should get a call around 3pm Perth time so I can pick up and as the local P/O is opened sat morning I should get them posted to interstate addresses.
Anyone who hasn't paid full amount needs to do so, I dont need to contact you individually as you should know who.
Martyn
PS Its only the LT models at this time as I still need to confirm the XT sample.I wont know the cost of posting until I go to the P/O and they can weigh and measure.
Last Edit: 17 Jun 2016 14:23 by mort.

More
17 Jun 2016 17:49 #146 by mort
I have picked up the Turbos and all in good condition so anyone in Perth can come and collect the rest I will arrange post from tomorrow or Monday.
are you all getting excited
Martyn

More
18 Jun 2016 08:20 - 18 Jun 2016 14:09 #147 by darren lilly
darren lilly replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Martyn had no luck with the pm so sent details by email. I WILL put address here also. 10 Sproule St Nelson Bay 2315 NSW. Thanks. 0249811991
Last Edit: 18 Jun 2016 14:09 by darren lilly.

More
18 Jun 2016 14:18 #148 by mort
I have sent out 8 LT model turbos this morning and 1 picked up aust post charges vary from $37 to 59 I guess that is the cost of living in the wilderness should take 6 working days and sign on delivery.
I have sent PM to the ones that have posted out so no PM not sent.
The rest are XT or in W.A.
Martyn

More
20 Jun 2016 14:19 - 20 Jun 2016 15:28 #149 by mort
An update for XT owners I have tried the sample that was sent over and as they say close but no cigar and I think there is a couple of reasons I would think the main one being to do what is really needed is a whole new casting and machining of the exhaust/turbine housing,waste-gate location and waste-gate housing.It can be done as the LT model started that way but it takes time and expense.
There is a number of alternatives.
1. I give your money back and I am sorry for getting your hopes up.
2. You wait until I can produce and as I am going on holiday till end of August I wont be able to
give any time till then.
3. If you are willing to adjust your gear linkage, the clearance required is about 20 mm max just
to get around the waste-gate actuator then this latest one will fit and I can have it shipped
direct.
Let me know your response

Martyn
Last Edit: 20 Jun 2016 15:28 by mort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, Tony Lee, Rick Whitworth, John and Bronwyn

More
20 Jun 2016 14:34 #150 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
As per phone call - my sledge hammer and tree-trunk fork is ready to go so I'll take the chance. If I want to get really fancy I'll fire up the TIG welder but I suspect that a bit of a bend like Peter wright used will do the trick.

More
20 Jun 2016 15:55 #151 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Tony Lee wrote: As per phone call - my sledge hammer and tree-trunk fork is ready to go so I'll take the chance. If I want to get really fancy I'll fire up the TIG welder but I suspect that a bit of a bend like Peter wright used will do the trick.

My new turbo also required a fabricated exhaust connection.
I am pretty happy with the result though, the low revs performance is particularly noticeable, and that is where it counts most.
I have not seen anything in that regard re these units.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
20 Jun 2016 16:55 #152 by John and Bronwyn
John and Bronwyn replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
As discussed, happy to go with the flow. Happy to try the linkage bend. Blue spanner ready to go, TIG on standby.

More
20 Jun 2016 17:24 #153 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Since you have all the experience Peter, I might time our drop in for coffee at about the time the turbo arrives. Maybe Martyn can post it direct to you so you can get a head start on things before I arrive ;-))))

More
20 Jun 2016 17:39 #154 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Martyn
As per phone call, also happy to go with the flow. Given linkages will be out for fitting 20m bend should be no big deal
Rick

More
20 Jun 2016 19:21 #155 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Me too, Option 3 is OK, gear linkages can be more easily "adjusted" than the turbo.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
21 Jun 2016 07:23 #156 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
I will go with the flow

More
21 Jun 2016 16:34 #157 by mort
So all will be ok with a little kink in the gear rod and I emailed the factory with some photos and drawings that might get a bit more clearance, had a reply that the techs are looking at it so fingers crossed either way I will place the order together with addresses and get that finalised.
Now is the time if any one else wants one to place an order for an XT or LT Turbo or that is the finish.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, Ewart and Vivian Halford, John and Bronwyn, 210greg

More
24 Jun 2016 20:24 #158 by mort
All the lucky LT owners be on the lookout as the Turbos have started to arrive today and onward for those in the outer areas.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, Ewart and Vivian Halford

More
26 Jun 2016 09:39 - 26 Jun 2016 10:23 #159 by mort
As the Turbos are now here I would think every one is keen to install so I will give some directions.
to remove, not much to worry about take off side and rear cover remove alternator,S bend from filter housing to turbo, 45 deg bend from air box,remove gear linkage rod remove T bracket holding dump pipe and remove exhaust pipe, you could remove starter to give extra room I didn't always and while your down there remove oil return from turbo and block then remove dump pipe which may be tight as it is a press on fit so may need to use a lever or crowbar then oil supply line and then turbo be careful as it is about 8 kg at this point having gone so far I would remove exhaust manifold for later work.
As my turbo was worn and leaking oil the air box was coated with oil and dust etc so I removed and cleaned your choice if you do it.
Your now ready to do other work or just install new turbo
Martyn
Last Edit: 26 Jun 2016 10:23 by mort.

More
26 Jun 2016 10:00 - 26 Jun 2016 14:52 #160 by mort
If you are installing new filter or inter-cooler, pyro or boost gauge even bigger alternator,fuel lift pump,replacing insulation or whatever now is the time to organise that if not then at least clean up dump pipe and check fitment to turbo which should be a tight fit I have found that not all is the same and you might need to file a whisker off the turbo fitting to make fit but dont make loose fit.
With the exhaust manifold use the gasket as a template on the head side and check the opening if as the photo you need to file off excess the idea is to match the opening to be the same as head or bigger but NOT smaller.
The photo shows heat damage which is a result of excessive heat generated on the leading edge also you dont get a good smooth flow of air because of turbulence.

Martyn

Attachments:
Last Edit: 26 Jun 2016 14:52 by dandjcr.