Turbo upgrade

More
26 Jun 2016 10:09 - 26 Jun 2016 14:53 #161 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Ok photos didnt load again as pixels too big or some technical term that I dont understand so again I will send to David to help out what would we do without him
Thanks David
Martyn

Done Martyn, let me know if they are in the wrong place or order.

David
Last Edit: 26 Jun 2016 14:53 by dandjcr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2016 10:46 #162 by mort
After doing all the necessary work it can all go back together much the same as removal.
The turbo will be lubricated from factory but I would put some more oil in and spin fan but be careful not to damage fan, you will have been supplied with new gaskets so use them.
The dump pipe will be a tight fit so will need some help with rubber mallet and in photo I have used exhaust wrap on dump pipe and exhaust to beyond starter its your choice.
The only place you might have to do adjustments is the bracket from block to dump pipe I have noticed that not all are the same and the slotted holes may need to be extended.
Every thing else fits the same and if you dont want to install inter-cooler or filter etc you could remove and fit without changing a thing.
As there is a lot of oil and at high pressure going through the turbo pay particular attention to oil in and out hookup as I didn't once and pumped out 4Lts in no time what a mess.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: John and Bronwyn

More
26 Jun 2016 15:41 - 26 Jun 2016 15:43 #163 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Now that serious turbo upgrade work is starting, I've updated the Turbo Upgrade pdf document to 26th June (5.6mB, includes photos). You can use this link to access it from my Dropbox account, and then click Download if you want to.

Regards, David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 26 Jun 2016 15:43 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John and Bronwyn

More
28 Jun 2016 10:45 #164 by mort
LT turbos should have been delivered by now or soon for the ones in outer areas if there is any problems let me know.
The XT's have been paid including transport in full and will be delivered direct from factory by TNT or in the case of outer areas that TNT don't service then DHL the extra over what I had allowed for transport I have been given a total price rather than separate works out at $37.00 each over the $775.
The factory is working on getting a little more clearance so if successful there may be no need to adjust the gear linkage.
I will be on holiday from 01/07/16 and returning around end of Aug but may have internet access at some point so hope to read all about your installations.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, Dean and Kaye Howells, Rick Whitworth, John and Bronwyn

More
30 Jun 2016 10:43 - 30 Jun 2016 10:56 #165 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
As I eagerly await receipt of my new turbo from Martyn I'm trying to think of a suitable adage or term to describe the (hopefully) new found performance we'll soon have.

Undoubtedly those lured to the 'dark side' will rue the day the went the brash, gaudy and dare I say, uncivilised, (US) Cummins way. True believers who have remained faithful to the stolid, civilised and understated Perkins 'British' values and performance are soon to be rewarded for their patience. :)

I'm thinking of a term that will exemplify the vast power and torque increase that will soon be available to the true believer Perkins stalwarts. The original Perkins engine is the Phaser 110 and as this new and improved version will undoubtedly be twice as good the term 220 comes to mind. Credit must be given to the 'labour of love' (and frustration) Martyn has put into this venture, his surname of Swift is too good to pass over in this quest for a suitable name/description as it will exemplify the new found Oka performance die hard Perkins owners not lured to the dark side will come to enjoy.

Anyone worked out where I'm going with this yet ?

In 1935 Winchester came up with the fastest rifle/cartridge the world had ever seen. Eighty one years later it still has not been bettered, and its name ................ 220 Swift.

Ongoing controversy over the use/efficacy of this cartridge is a perfect parallel to the Dark Side (Cummins)/True Believer (Perkins) debate.

The perfect moniker for our 'new & improved' Oka's ?. :)

Deano.
Last Edit: 30 Jun 2016 10:56 by Dean and Kaye Howells. Reason: more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: PeteFox, DarrenWebster303

More
30 Jun 2016 15:50 #166 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Deano what are you on? or smoking? there is no way in this world a Perky will go anywhere near as well as a standard 6bt let alone one that has been "tuned".
The other thing with a Cummins is that you can actually see something in the rear view mirrors as they aren't buzzing and shaking like the Perky makes them do.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
30 Jun 2016 16:27 - 30 Jun 2016 18:36 #167 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Dean and Kaye Howells wrote: Anyone worked out where I'm going with this yet?

The 220 Swift remains the fastest commercial cartridge in the world. with a published velocity of 4665 fps

Sufficient escape velocity for interplanetary travel.
Mars One passengers will be able to leave in an OKA, travel in secure comfort and then return home
Last Edit: 30 Jun 2016 18:36 by Rick Whitworth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarrenWebster303

More
30 Jun 2016 20:55 #168 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Did I miss something? I guess I will just have to suffer the under powered Cummins and dream about what might have been if only I upgraded that turbo and fitted an intercooler.
Look forward to hearing how they go now.

More
01 Jul 2016 04:50 #169 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
What might be interesting is if the dark siders published actual cost of their upgrade including the market value of their own labour together with some objective measure of the benefits derived and what the market-place increase in the value of their vehicle increased by so the rest of us could decide whether it was worth it.

More
01 Jul 2016 06:51 #170 by darren lilly
darren lilly replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
mine arrived a couple of days ago, thanks Martyn will try to ring you to thank personally, flexible shifts & time zones need to align

More
01 Jul 2016 16:23 #171 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Peter and Sandra OKA 374 wrote: Deano what are you on? or smoking? there is no way in this world a Perky will go anywhere near as well as a standard 6bt let alone one that has been "tuned".
The other thing with a Cummins is that you can actually see something in the rear view mirrors as they aren't buzzing and shaking like the Perky makes them do.

You can't even compare with the 4BT(that's not dark side ,just twilight),The Perky is a good reliable oil leaking motor but just not good enough for the OKA
Cheers,Joe

More
01 Jul 2016 18:06 #172 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
I would have to agree with peter and joe there is no way I would think the perky was or is as good as the cummins ours with a clapped out turbo she still pulled well and had no problems in making it up steep hills I have gone from 48kw at the rear to well over 120kw there is no perky that would get them figures, and kay and I can talk without yelling when we are on the road.peter

More
01 Jul 2016 18:45 #173 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hey guys I'm shaw Dean was having a bit of fun and trying to humour us.
Even he would know there is no comparison between the two.
It gave me a smile any way.

Ewart oka 365
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells

More
01 Jul 2016 19:05 #174 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Let's see, no vibration, much less noise, doesn't slow down in anticipation of a hill on the horizon, as mentioned before the ability to see things clearly in the rearview mirrors, motor has enough grunt to use cruise control, seems to use less fuel but until we do some long trips that isn't confirmed but other dark side owners report using less fuel especially in soft desert country and if you wish for even more a standard 6bt is capable of huge amounts of grunt with a few simple mods.
Tony your wish for costings is probably something that needs to be in another thread rather than this one and one that is also going to be hugely variable depending on engine source, transmission choice and a person's abilities, facilities and time constraints. For example fitting a Dodge Ram 6bt to the existing drivetrain is "just" an engine swap with all that entails but as I've just done mine, built/converted the engine from genset to vehicle use, then fitted an auto and the Nissan transfer it changes everything and has taken many hours of time and effort to get it all working properly. I know the auto etc was previously behind the Perky but everything behind the engine moved forward so all mounts, tailshafts etc etc had to be remanufactured so now the only original Oka parts are the body, chassis, suspension and diff housings.

More
05 Jul 2016 16:09 #175 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Has anyone put their new turbo in yet?

More
05 Jul 2016 17:26 #176 by DarrenWebster303
DarrenWebster303 replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Oh I love where this is going Deano & Rick. What a pity Greg is away and not in on this as well, being the founder of the term : Dark side!

More
05 Jul 2016 18:41 #177 by Frank
Frank replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Peter Davis wrote: Has anyone put their new turbo in yet?

No, well sort of no. Mort left one of his LT prototype turbos mounted to my Oka (was trying to sort out gear linkage clearance). Have welded the waste gate closed so I can drive Oka still.

But I have changed exhaust over to non baffled.
And just finished modifying air intake and filter.
I used the Donaldson G110119 air cleaner ($254), 5.5" inlet, 5" outlet. Has spec sheet restriction of 5.5" H20 at 625cfm (about the same as the optiair 1100). A 4 cyl, 4 stroke, 4 liter engine doing 2000RPM with turbo (x3 multiplier) needs to suck in 12000 l/min (444 cfm), 200 liters per sec.

Inlet snorkel is now 4", still have the NT style air inlet shroud, calculated the csa (cross sectional area) of its vents and it is less than the csa of the 4" pipe so will change this or my other thought is to make up a plastic spacer with same profile to mount it further out from the body. This spacer can then have additional inlet vents added to it. Still thinking about this.
On the filter outlet I have a 5 to 4 reducer than 4" pipe bend to a 4 to 2.75" right angle reducer with a 2.75 to 2.25 insert reducer right at the turbo.
Gear linkage rubs on the 4-2.75" reducer, but I can select all gears I think.
Haven't taken it for a run yet as I removed the steel cab section behind the air filter area to get new filter in. Worked out afterwards that I didn't need to do this, I could have got in it from underneath, but it did make it a lot easier to weld in new mounts and cut new inlet hole and weld up old inlet hole.
Tomorrows job is to make up a section to fill this hole back in.
I would put up some photos, but I can't find my camera, seems I might have lost it.

Interested to see others solutions.

I am still thinking about making cable gear shift. would make install a lot easier, and neater.

frank

Frank & Christine Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

More
06 Jul 2016 05:54 #178 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
The cable gear shift works well, I drove an Oka with one when looking for an Oka to buy and it was like chalk and cheese compared to the normal mechanical shifter.
Of course the cable to the auto takes up even less room and you don't have to move it much anyway ;-)))

More
06 Jul 2016 09:40 #179 by Frank
Frank replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
135 has cable gear shift. However has been installed backwards, 1-2 closest to driver. The selector box on top of gearbox needs to be swapped around, not much clearance to get to it so haven't tried to swap it around yet. Apparently factory installed option that cost $5k! I agree it selects a lot better when selecting gears.

Frank & Christine Thomas

More
06 Jul 2016 12:48 #180 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Frank wrote: 135 has cable gear shift. However has been installed backwards, 1-2 closest to driver. The selector box on top of gearbox needs to be swapped around, not much clearance to get to it so haven't tried to swap it around yet. Apparently factory installed option that cost $5k! I agree it selects a lot better when selecting gears.

Yes, it is all a bit difficult to get at, especially when there is a bloody great camper body on top of the gearbox. The console unit is tricky for me too, because with a six cylinder Perkins there is very little room to play with, especially because on the XT the radiator position means that the cables can't exit downwards from the console.

Anyway, you cheer me up by telling me that the factory conversion cost $5,000 because my conversion has cost me close to $1,500 which has shocked me! Cables are $220 each, and there are four - gear select, gear shift, transfer and a spare. Then there are bits of metal, bearings etc. It all adds up.......