Turbo upgrade

More
06 Jul 2016 15:19 #181 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Frank wrote: I used the Donaldson G110119 air cleaner ($254), 5.5" inlet, 5" outlet. Has spec sheet restriction of 5.5" H20 at 625cfm (about the same as the optiair 1100). A 4 cyl, 4 stroke, 4 liter engine doing 2000RPM with turbo (x3 multiplier) needs to suck in 12000 l/min (444 cfm), 200 liters per sec.

Frank,
I see you chose a unit with no secondary safety filter to get sufficient air flow. Donaldson G110119 is a much better fit than the Optiair 1100 and easy enough to add safety filter but it then becomes a G110120 which is rated as 450 cfm. Given that Donaldson EPG filters are classed as light dust and the original OKA setup included the secondary, do you reckon a primary only will still do the job?
Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2016 18:11 #182 by Frank
Frank replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Rick, I had given that a little consideration. And decided that in its original purpose driving around mining dust all day on unsealed roads it would be wise. But as a private vehicle tripping around it is unlikely to be an issue. Of more concern is the potential of water getting sucked in and damaging the element. I think I will be making up an inlet shroud that points down again like the original did, just bigger aperture.

Frank & Christine Thomas

More
01 Aug 2016 13:10 #183 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi All
I am back from my trip and have not seen any reports of turbos installed also no indication of XT deliveries did send an email to the factory and have now got a reply.
There was a holdup in their regular production but the couple of late orders of LT models left the factory last week and the XT models will leave today or tomorrow so all should get via TNT or the regions not serviced by TNT (2 I think) DHL by the end of the week.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, John and Bronwyn

More
01 Aug 2016 13:48 #184 by mort
There was a couple of entries before I left for trip about the OKA with its new turbo being in the same category as a bullet or having the capacity to leave this planet and travel into space well let me address these two theories.
Firstly Rick as I was travelling down the Gibb River road I passed a sign saying traffic hazard ahead so I slowed but no apparent hazard and along the journey 3 more with the same result so thinking its an OKA and can handle hazards like no other vehicle so when the 5th sign came up I kept going only to see a bad washout with no chance to avoid and as we sailed through the air I only thought of your theory of inter planetary travel BUT sadly the gravitational pull was too much so you can stop dreaming and get back to reality.
Deano and all others your close, for those who say an OKA cannot overtake A double or much less a triple with the Perky I had been on the road just out of Perth behind a truck when a sign came up informing of an overtaking lane ahead so as it pulled over to the left I put my foot down at the same time noticed that it was a triple hoping like hell that I had enough power and distance to complete the job going up hill starting at 90 and finished at 110 in no time at all as they say a piece of cake (like a bullet) the next day again behind a truck doing 85 when the road clear overtook a double with ease it was like I was on the dark side with a shield of light.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, 210greg

More
02 Aug 2016 16:55 #185 by mort
I have had update that the turbos are on their way and the ones that were despatched last week are now being delivered.
Dont be surprised at the declared value as there will be no duty due.
Also I have calculated my fuel use over some 7000 klm of bitumen and it comes to 6.32 klm's per litre which is better than my cruiser and not as good as my canter so I am happy with those figures I dont know what others get maybe others can supply
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, Rick Whitworth, John and Bronwyn

More
02 Aug 2016 17:34 #186 by Frank
a small update from me.
after air filter and exhaust change my max boost is now 17 psi. (this is still with one of Mort's prototype turbos fitted)
must try it without air filter and cover on it sometime.

Frank & Christine Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: mort

More
02 Aug 2016 20:54 #187 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: 205 transfer case adaptor
I've got my fingers and toes crossed that the XT variant is a direct drop in replacement as advertised. No problem giving the gear rods a bit of extra bend because there is a nice forked tree down the back, but I rapidly lose enthusiasm when major pipework changes are required.

More
04 Aug 2016 17:34 #188 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: 205 transfer case adaptor
Took a trip upto Byron Bay to pick up my next project with a tandem trailer with the trailer at tow with a 67 valiant vc on we were able to get 600ks out of 97 ltrs from the bark side auto , = 16lts to the 100 ks pretty dam good , we were pleased .cheers peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, Joseph Baz, mort, DarrenWebster303

More
09 Aug 2016 14:48 #189 by John and Bronwyn
John and Bronwyn replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Martyn

Turbo arrived today thanks. Now to install it......

More
10 Aug 2016 07:02 #190 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
mine to

More
10 Aug 2016 12:24 #191 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Darn it. Just got the back end of the transfer case back together, and the gold plated repaired steering box will be here tomorrow and the concrete slab has been pressure cleaned to pristine whiteness and I have plenty else to do before we head out on the road for a year or so next week BUT the turbo arrived just now to mess up my schedule big time.

I wanted to do a couple of before and after runs up the mountain so maybe the new turbo will have to sit on the shelf until we get back this time next year.

However if anyone reports that they got it (the XT version) all in and working in under two hours, please let me know and I'll find the time.

More
10 Aug 2016 18:58 #192 by Frank
Took me a lot longer than 2 hours just to change the exhaust over, not to mention the air filter etc.

Frank & Christine Thomas

More
10 Aug 2016 19:54 - 10 Aug 2016 19:55 #193 by mort
I am guessing that everyone has received their turbos if not it wont be long.

Tony it will take longer than 2 hours but if you don't change your filter etc or inter-cool then it could be done in a day however I would suggest changing muffler or even removing till you get back and getting injector pump adjusted to suit.
A good reason is when I overtook the triple and double it was in 5th gear, having the turbo made it a lot easier if not boring because once I got into 5th it stayed there like driving an auto and I found I had to stop every so often to stretch my legs and get circulation back as my wife said maybe I will need to supply pressure stockings for deep vein thrombosis with any more turbos so what I am saying is it may help with dicky knees to take a few extra days and install then we wont hear from you for a year except to say how well your knees are.
Martyn
Last Edit: 10 Aug 2016 19:55 by mort.

More
11 Aug 2016 05:24 #194 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Martyn. Would you expect to improved performance with only the exhaust done. ie can it be done in stages and if we did that would it have to tuned after every step.
Greg

More
11 Aug 2016 06:00 #195 by Tony Lee
According to the shove-a-hose-up-the-exhaust-pipe-test my exhaust is already a straight through muffler so unless it falls to bits when I unbolt it, it will be staying where it is.

More
11 Aug 2016 07:56 #196 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
to produce H P an engine needs to breath easy
getting air in & out is the trick

1] unrestricted exorst
2] air filter without ridiculous S bends, restrictions & low air flow don't help
3] bigger pump to move the air
4] correctly tuned fuel system

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405

More
11 Aug 2016 08:09 #197 by mort
Greg you could install the turbo without doing any more but you will not get the full benefit or you could do in stages and yes every time you change things for the better to get full benefit in the change you would need to re-tune/adjust the injector pump to reflect those changes however working on the engine is not the most comfortable place to be so if it was me I would wait till you were in a position to do it all at once.
I was only suggesting to Tony that if he had the time because he is going away for a year that it may be worth it in his case to do some work now as it will/may give benefit to driver comfort.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
11 Aug 2016 08:15 #198 by Frank
I don't have the final turbo installed as yet, but I have noticed a large difference in driving already and I put that down to not just an improved turbo but also the air inlet and filter change. My gut feeling is that the main restriction is probably the final cast 's' bend prior to the turbo. My opinion is that the air inlet change is a definite priority even if you don't install a better turbo.

If you only have 2 hours spare go for a drive and note your boost pressures, max boost etc. then pull your air filter cover off and filter out and repeat. I think you will then go and work on your air inlet! I know I did.

Frank & Christine Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
11 Aug 2016 13:14 #199 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Mort was one of the 5 OKA's in the Kimberley trek

all with Perkins climes mountains & vertical rock walls with ease, no lag

the second half of trek, Morts Rockwell blew low range
with creek / river crossings sand & gutless bull dust steep banks the OKA's struggled in low range.

Martyn with no low range, the extra turbo power held on through most of the crossings
with speed & defiance of gravity, this is ware the turbo upgrade stood out from the crowd!!

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405

More
11 Aug 2016 16:10 #200 by Tony Lee
Martyn, misled you. Not going away for 12 months in the OKA. Time to give the other faster, quieter, more comfortable vehicles a bit of a run.

Well, got the old turbo out. No broken bolts or studs and not much skin off considering.

Don't believe it is possible to get the rear nut between the turbo and the exhaust manifold off, not with any tool and set of hands and arms that I have available so I had to remove the exhaust manifold with turbo attached. Took the alternator off and the starter motor and of course gear rods and exhaust pipe but still couldn't get at that rear nut.

So tomorrow I would put it all back together EXCEPT as you would expect, one of the exhaust manifold gaskets isn't in great shape.
Is sheet high temperature gasket material available from auto accessories outlets or must I get hold of the proper OEM gaskets. If I have to get the proper gaskets, does anyone have a part number please.