Turbo upgrade

More
09 Mar 2016 08:26 #21 by Dave and Pauline Gray
Dave and Pauline Gray replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Below 500C shouldn't cause to many problems Peter I seem to recall that 612C was injector tip melt temp on a Mack engine I once owned and I would say that injector tip material would be much the same in all old type mechanical engines like the Perkins.
Fuel temperature also plays a big part so keep that below 60c, I would say its unlikely our Oka / Perkins would have a problem of that nature but a fuel cooler is quite easy to make and fit if required.

Cheers Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2016 04:39 #22 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
374 runs about 17 psi boost at full whack, usually up around 15-16 since the auto was fitted as it swaps cogs much better than me ;-))
EGT's max out at 650 odd at about 100mm past the turbo if you make it lug too much, typical cruising temps are anywhere from mid 400's to mid 500's. On a recent long climb up Thunderbolts north of Gloucester on a high 30's day ad high humidity of 1st and 2nd gear for 11 k's it sat at around low 600's for most of the climb, I ended up turning the A/C off as the red temp warning light came on for the engine and the gauge kept getting up to the edge of the red as the fan cycled. Once the A/C was off it handled it easily engine temp wise.
The auto coolers are mounted in the front bashplate so while they would have put heat under the engine it wouldn't have effected it. Tranny temps cycled between 90 and 110 during the climb again as the cooling fans cut in and out.
I've done absolutely nothing to the engine so either the RAAF fiddled with it or it was that way from new. 374 has now clocked up around 140,000 kms, 70 in our ownership.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
11 Mar 2016 12:17 #23 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Nobby and others who might be interested your power difference could be one or more causes firstly the T/case I wouldnt worry about and as a work vehicle I would prefer the rockwell so as a passenger vehicle it probably has a speed limiter do you need it well that is for you to answer.
worn or dirty injectors
partially blocker fuel filter
worn/maladjust accelerator cable
air filter dirty
exhaust blocked/restricted
is there a considerable difference in weight between vehicles
difference in tuning
all are valid reasons for difference in power and or speed

Things I have done and all have given noticeable increase in power or performance
replaced baffled muffler with a free flow
replaced air filter with larger
replaced 70mm snorkle with 100mm
replaced air intake cowl with larger
matched ported intake and exhaust manifold
installed large intercooler
replaced water pump with electric
replaced fan with electric

I am working on the turbo
when turbo fitted will retune and have the injector pump pressure increased to 12 from 9

I hope this helps if you need more info just ring always happy to talk just dont like typing

Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobby

More
12 Mar 2016 10:35 #24 by oztrax
oztrax replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Oka Pete,
Are you referring to adjusting the max fuel screw ?

As per my other reply on "bolt on horsepower" other adjustments can be made to the boost compensator part of the VE fuel pump,

My research has shown EGTs should be kept below 600 degrees C, certainly for a sustained time.

Another option is to squirt water into inter cooler matrix with an old windshield washer pump and small garden spray jet, this will drop EGTs dramatically each time you spray water in,

Boost around 14 psi is what we aimed for on TDI 300 tuning, mine was 16 psi max, up from 10 or 11 psi was amazing performance increase.

Also remember Perkins turbo doesn't have a waste gate, this gives more boost ,power increase to lower/midrange than top end.
I believe that is why the Perkins has good low end torque. The top end boost peters out, and feels like the engine has run out of steam,
A compromise can be found on waste gate turbos by adjusting springs etc,

Regards OZ

More
12 Mar 2016 11:14 #25 by mort
Hi Oz
I will assume you are referring to my post if not I was expecting someone to ask so...
the factory setting for the pressure the fuel is delivered at is set at 9 which is ok but increasing the pressure not the amount has a result of a finer spray which means better mixture of fuel/air and a better detonation resulting in more efficient fuel economy and more power its a setting a lot of people dont consider.

Martyn

More
12 Mar 2016 18:10 #26 by oztrax
oztrax replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Thanks mort,

Exactly where is the adjustment you speak of ?
On the side of injector pump ?

Oz

More
14 Mar 2016 12:54 #27 by mort
Hi Oz
Personally I dont know a mate is going to do the adjustments as he is experienced thats why I have lots of people to call on so I dont have to do it ( I hope they dont read this ) but I did ask and it is in the front. After the turbo is done he will come over and set it up so I can find out exactly then
Martyn

More
14 Mar 2016 19:24 #28 by catdav
catdav replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Would be very interesting to know how this works to my understanding when you rebuild injectors you set them to crack at a certain pressure if you change the pressure delivered to the injectors without altering injectors I thought you would only alter the duration of injection could be good or bad depending on variables I could be wrong here though interesting

More
14 Mar 2016 19:36 - 14 Mar 2016 20:11 #29 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
CATDAV wrote:
Would be very interesting to know how this works to my understanding when you rebuild injectors you set them to crack at a certain pressure if you change the pressure delivered to the injectors without altering injectors I thought you would only alter the duration of injection could be good or bad depending on variables I could be wrong here though interesting

You are right CatDav,mechanical injectors are built and rebuilt exactly like that.
Cheers,Joe
Last Edit: 14 Mar 2016 20:11 by Joseph Baz. Reason: add reference by other member
The following user(s) said Thank You: catdav

More
15 Mar 2016 04:32 #30 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
The other thing to think about is retaining the simplicity of the Oka, all the Perky or 6BT needs to operate is power to the stop solenoid to allow fuel into the engine, adding anything else to increase power can affect reliability and the ability to keep going in remote, rough country simply due to added things to go wrong. Must be why I fitted an auto ;-)))

More
23 Apr 2016 08:24 #31 by mort
An update on the turbo it has arrived a few days ago a bit latter than expected and as I am going out to the gold fields to find more cash to finance the OKA (maybe when I paint I will go gold to reflect the true cost) anyway no time to install so it will have to wait till I get back.
It looks a good unit and all the work that went into it I am confident the performance will be what I am after, One figure the engineers sent is a compression ratio of original is 1.7 at 1100 rpm new 2 at 1100 rpm anyway I am away for 2 wks so not long now.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, Ewart and Vivian Halford, darren lilly

More
11 May 2016 20:03 #32 by mort
Hi All
well I am back didnt find enough Gold to allow me to retire but had fun
Latest Turbo fitted and Today went to get Dyno and injector pump adjusted so the result is
before Klm /hour 90 kilowatts 48 rpm 2500 boost 10 EGT 400
after Klm /hour 90 kilowatts 64 rpm 2500 boost 16 EGT 450
Not engine output but at the wheels
No intercooler installed as I wanted as close to std
So my honest impression if the OKA performed like it does now when I got it I would have been thinking what is every one complaining about it is fast in all gears and in fact I was thinking on the way home I have to be careful as it could easily get me speeding tickets.
Speeding is not what I was after but just a more drivable vehicle on the road and boy have I achieved that.

Tomorrow I will take it on a long test drive and report back
also try to scan the print out and post
If anyone thinks it cant be done your welcomed to take it for a drive especially if your thinking of spending big money on engine transplant you might want to think again.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, PeteFox, MichaelLHession, Rick Whitworth, Ewart and Vivian Halford, Terry Mclaaren, darren lilly, DarrenWebster303, FC101

More
12 May 2016 05:07 #33 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Is the before with the old turbo. Either way it would seam that it was really down of fuel based on the low EGT. Sounds like your really happy with results we'll done. I always thought if I wasn't towing a similar increase would have been good. It would be hard for me to go back now.

More
12 May 2016 07:01 #34 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
200+ at the rear wheels sounds much better, never mind Steve B's 360 odd, plus the sound, the sound, we could hear it climbing the hill at Nymboida for quite a while after he left camp;-))))
The Perky is fine outback in flat country but over here on the eastern seaboard we have to cross the range and climb hills every time we head in any direction and it becomes a tiring exercise rowing through the gears. Fitting the auto to the Perky made a massive difference to how it drove as it just got on boost and held it up through the gears but even highway running still saw us being overtaken by laden B doubles, chuck in a hill and everything passed us including the caravannner that sat on 85kph up hill and down dale.
So now the 6BT is in, just have to hook everything up!

More
12 May 2016 15:54 #35 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Martyn
So that is a jump from 64 Hp to 86 Hp, I assume in 4th gear. Be interested to hear what its like at 100kph in 5th, EGT that is.

More
12 May 2016 17:11 #36 by Frank
Frank replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
I took Martyn up on his offer and took his Oka for a run on Roe Hwy and up Kalamunda Hill today. The speed limit was the restricting factor for me (100 and 70 kph respectively). It accelerates and drives well (I had driven it previously a couple of weeks ago prior to the latest turbo and dyno tune).

He is still to reconnect his intercooler, so it will be interesting to see what difference that makes wrt hp.

Martyn's Oka is very quiet, the soundproofing of engine noise is impressive. It is a background noise and no more, even at 2500 RPM.
Wind the window down and you can hear the turbo whistle from the air intake. I also checked his tacho (it reads low but is within 50-100 RPM across the whole rev range), because I didn't believe an Oka could be that quiet at those RPMs.

A lot nicer vehicle to drive than mine, particularly in traffic, accelerates very well, feels like an automatic, just leave it in 3rd gear. Time to start working on air inlet, exhaust and soundproofing on mine i think.

cheers,
Frank

Frank & Christine Thomas

More
12 May 2016 17:28 #37 by darren lilly
darren lilly replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Mort when would you be looking into taking orders. Think this will make a lot of people happy, I couldnt justify spending $40,000 on a conversion. Thanks heaps for your effort.

More
12 May 2016 18:05 #38 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Mort I think when I had the perky in ours after tunning with new turbo I got I think in the 60 kw which was great it pulled better then the auto went on and there was a major difference went even better motor ran smother and a lot quieter , so your 48kw = 64.3690603 hp ,64kw =85.8254137 hp , is that at the rear wheels and 75 kw =100.576657 hp so 200 hp at the rear might be stretching it a bit for the perky,

More
12 May 2016 22:26 #39 by mort
I just spent an hour typing only to be told your session has timed out
Martyn

More
12 May 2016 23:35 - 12 May 2016 23:39 #40 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

mort wrote: I just spent an hour typing only to be told your session has timed out
Martyn

Sorry Martyn, this can be frustrating if diverted in the middle of preparing a post. The session time-out is set to 2 hours and I can extend it (but can't be indefinite).

If you get this type of problem, hitting the Back button sometimes reveals your typing which you can copy and paste somewhere else (eg a text file) for safekeeping.

If you need to leave a editing session open, before leaving, do the same, copy all your text so it can be pasted in again later.

Alternatively, for a complex posting, prepare the text off-line in a text editor/Word etc and then copy/paste into the Forum entry box.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 12 May 2016 23:39 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKABloke