Turbo upgrade

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
29 Nov 2016 15:02 - 29 Nov 2016 20:18 #321 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
David they are still available either through their ebay store or the website, the same gauge/readout is programmable for various functions, with alarm and LED light when exceeding desired maximums. It is also configurable for boost, temp etc depending on what sensors are connected.
ebay link here .

they also will fit in the 50mm round blanking plates in the dash if you cut carefully with a dremel or similar.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
Last Edit: 29 Nov 2016 20:18 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
29 Nov 2016 15:07 - 29 Nov 2016 20:20 #322 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
ebay link

Peter, thank you. I fixed the ebay link, they are fussy so I just use the normal website link function, not the ebay icon.

David

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
Last Edit: 29 Nov 2016 20:20 by dandjcr.

More
29 Nov 2016 20:34 #323 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Rick Whitworth wrote: I like to have separate read outs

Rick, I agree, the Auberins SYL-2813 has 2 independent digital displays, although it's a bit chunky looking, but there is still something alluring about analog displays for fast changing readings.

Is that why you have one of each?

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
30 Nov 2016 06:46 #324 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Nice work Rick.
Have just done about 6000km since installing Martyn's turbo. Some observations. Engine oil stayed like new until just over 5000km. It finally darkened after a day of driving in temperatures up to 40 deg. Have only added about half a cup of oil. EGT stays lower than before turbo swap, EGT seems to drop quicker after load removed. Truck accelerates from lower revs. It sucks more air than before. It holds longer on each gear up hills. Nicer to drive.
Sitting on 100 km/h, air con on, sometimes into quite strong head winds, over 6 tonnes getting 6.3 km/lt to 6.7 km/lt.
Currently on Sunshine coast, plan to head back up to northern Queensland next week. Dissappointingly haven't seen 1 Oka since leaving Melbourne.
Thankyou to Martyn for your hard work. One can appreciate the time that it would take trialling turbos to get it right.
Cheers
Peter D

More
30 Nov 2016 08:28 #325 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

dandjcr wrote: the Auberins SYL-2813 has 2 independent digital displays

Dave,
Followed your link and if I were doing mine again, I would use one of these. They have all the functionality you need but best of all both gauges fit in 52mm hole minimising real estate on the dash which is a real issue. Both gauges have relay output and with the digital boost you have the advantage of not having to run an air line from the sender.

I had not seen these at the time I did mine. I did the VDO boost gauge separately some time ago before the upgrade and yes, chose it for compatibility with other guages and because I liked the moving needle!

More
20 Jan 2017 16:22 #326 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
210 has been on the dyno
Attachments:

More
20 Jan 2017 17:40 #327 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Greg
I am hoping that is before the upgrade just to set a starting point.
good luck you will be so happy in the end
Martyn as always "its an OKA thing"

More
20 Jan 2017 17:53 #328 by 210greg
Have not touched a thing just setting the bar. 366 will go on the dyno next week has had turbo fitted and so on but will be nice to see how it compares
Thanks Greg

More
21 Jan 2017 08:04 - 21 Jan 2017 10:16 #329 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

OKADOC wrote: any figures yet on fuel economy

Have travelled 5000km since upgrade, mixture of highway and off road
Overall average 17 l/100km
Lead foot on highway averaging 100km/hr (uphill and down hill plus some 110 km/hr) it goes up to 18
Best I could get was 16 on highway keeping max speed at 90 to 95.

Truck runs like a bird. Engine never goes over 84 deg C even in 40 deg day with aircon on full blast. No increase in egts in heat, Only slight drop in power at the top end in the heat.

...can't stop smiling
Last Edit: 21 Jan 2017 10:16 by Rick Whitworth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mort, outyonda, DarrenWebster303, OKADOC

More
25 Jan 2017 17:08 - 26 Jan 2017 05:14 #330 by 210greg
366 has had a face lift Dean and I can not believe the improvement best money spent since buying the truck see att

Last Edit: 26 Jan 2017 05:14 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mort, outyonda, Rick Whitworth, Hedgie

More
26 Jan 2017 05:24 - 26 Jan 2017 05:27 #331 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Great stuff Greg and Dean (I rotated your charts to make them easier to read).

On the other hand grrrrrr. I haven't been able to start my upgrade yet. I've got the turbo and Opti-Air system and a lot of plans. I just need the intercooler and lots of pipework and some quality time to make a start.

But it is getting closer...

David

Oka148 profile here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 26 Jan 2017 05:27 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mort, 210greg

More
26 Jan 2017 09:10 #332 by mort
Hi Greg
I had a ph call yesterday from someone complaining that you are going to loose your licence if you keep driving like a hoon.
I hear that the OKA was overtaking everything on the road and not going down hill but up and in 5th gear.
You and Dean will have to take it easy or it will be like those car chases in San Francisco where the cars become airborne at the top of the hills they are built to sustain the landings but the OKA isn't I have already tried that and it damages diff's.
Enjoy and keep resisting the dark side.
Martyn "its an OKA thing"
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
26 Jan 2017 09:17 #333 by mort
Hi David it can be disheartening when you see these performance figures who would have believed 100 HP at the rear wheels for such little outlay in time and $ but you will be driving like a hoon soon in the mean time just keep being jealous.
Martyn "its an OKA thing"

More
16 Feb 2017 17:50 #334 by 210greg
210 is now in bits went and had a look today the old turbo was shagged and about to explode just spinning it by hand it rattled around like a turd in a piss tin. I think another trip would have seen it blow and take all with it, so supper happy that we have caught it in time about another week should have more figures to look at. Just hope I get more 104 hp or Deano will never let me live it down. Big thanks Mort
The following user(s) said Thank You: mort, DarrenWebster303

More
18 Feb 2017 10:34 #335 by mort
Hi Greg
Don't we just love sibling rivalry.You are lucky that you rushed into installing the turbo if you had delayed it would have cost big bucks and then who knows maybe for a few extra $ maybe a 6BT. Good luck.
Martyn (its an OKA thing)

More
18 Feb 2017 11:23 - 18 Feb 2017 11:29 #336 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Greg, I reckon you've got plenty of room to move to beat your well named brother :), having a quick look at Ricks results he got 101.5 HP at 18.3 lb of boost but he has an intercooler, larger air intake/filter and I think flow through muffler whereas Dean attained 104 HP at 23 lb of boost (if I'm reading the charts correctly).

Is this level of inlet pressure, 23lb, sustainable on the Perkins ?

But taking practicality out of the issue, the aim here is to have the graph that beats Deans is it not ? So when you do yours remove the air cleaner outer and cover and keep cranking the boost up till you achieve 105 HP, record it and then back boost off to say 16-20 lb and replace the air cleaner etc and tell no one, especially Dean.

Motto, if at first you don't succeed ......................... cheat! :)

Deano :)
Last Edit: 18 Feb 2017 11:29 by Dean and Kaye Howells.

More
18 Feb 2017 11:51 #337 by Peter and Carla #396
Peter and Carla #396 replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Greg should beat Dean easily, as Greg has a NP205 and Dean a Rockwell.

More
20 Feb 2017 06:29 #338 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade - 3 or 4 inch intercooler?
Well, I've made a start on my upgrade at last, I've got the Opti-air filter unit installed, with some useful assistance from Rick.

I had to use a different fixing method since I can't access the rear panel due to motorhome stuff (shower wall, pipework etc). I mounted it on 2 "U" saddles underneath with a strap holding it down.

Now my attention is turning to the turbo and intercooler and my question for the fluid dynamicists amongst you all, is a 4 inch thick intercooler better than a 3 inch for the same fin area (450x300)?

I'm confused over air flow restriction (which would be less with a 4 inch), vs faster flow (which would allow less cooling time), vs less cooling air flow due to more thickness. Or doesn't it matter much for our application? Any advice? Both sizes are available.

David

Oka148 profile here.

More
20 Feb 2017 07:11 #339 by OKAPETE
OKAPETE replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
David, my 2 bobs worth.... My intercooler in Oka 224 is 3", does the job more than adequately. I have attached a couple of pics FYI.
Pete.

Chaplain. Won x One Chaplaincy.
AM SAE-A. AAFRB.

Oka 383. In process.... Cummins 6bt. Allison 2500 6spd. LOMAX 3:1 205 T/case. Dana 80 F & R.
Oka 358. Van. Perkins. swift turbo intercooled. NP205 conversion. LSD F&R. Camper conversion in progress.
LIFE.....is keeping OKApied.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, Rick Whitworth

More
20 Feb 2017 07:14 #340 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi David, I'm certainly no fluid gymnastic :) , but I would go for the thicker more tube version if cooling is the main criterion but on the down side I would have thought the greater the mass/volume of air in the system the bigger the 'buffer' and more comparative turbo lag. It is my understanding that apart from simplified plumbing this is the major advantage of the air/water aftercooler over the air/air intercooler.

Just something else to think about :)

Deano :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr