Turbo upgrade

More
27 Feb 2017 18:40 #381 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Rob spot on, also putting one up front well I have looked at that bull-bar and thought if I hit a bull with big horns there is nothing stopping him from going through the radiator let alone the air con or inter-cooler.
Martyn (its an OKA thing)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2017 18:54 - 27 Feb 2017 19:02 #382 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
I have a 6BTA, this from the Factory adds about 20 odd HP. Cummins calls this set up JWAC = Jacket Water After Cooler.

I think with its own cooling system is a good option.

My engine was originally in a Ford Cargo Truck from factory. It was then in an Acco.

Guessing HP to be around 200hp now. Pump has a little tickle. But might do more later.

Other thing is CAC can get clogged up etc rather fast. If this happens, then it can affect cooling.
Last Edit: 27 Feb 2017 19:02 by Outback Jack.

More
28 Feb 2017 13:55 #383 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Attached is a Garrett FAQ document which I found quite useful.

David

File Attachment:

File Name: GarrettFAQ's.pdf
File Size:110 KB

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, Dean and Kaye Howells, mort, Dave and Pauline Gray

More
01 Mar 2017 09:59 #384 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Ralley wrote:
............ I think he meant 20hp gain over standard.

Rob

Yes that's exactly what I meant, I didn't venture further into potential power/torque gains with tweaking, mods etc as the amount of variables involved then turns an air/air to water/air comparison into an apples to oranges comparison IMO.

Ralley wrote:
............ There can be a huge difference in what you can achieve and it's not always about HP.

Rob

Exactly. A good example to consider is your setup of a fully loaded bus towing a heavy trailer, to a schedule, through outback terrain and our vehicle which is basically a 'light' bus conversion that tows nothing and is used mainly for general touring with some remote 'off road' traveling. Our requirements are totally different.

What I'm after with the Cummins upgrade is additional power to turn driving into more of a pleasure than a multiple gear changing chore especially as my knees deteriorate further which makes clutch operation literally more of pain. Yes, an auto would solve the problem but the trap with upgrades is where do you start and where do you stop ? At the moment I'll be happy with a few more ponies and a bit less work for the left knee. :)

Our 6BT in basic form is good for 160 HP which is more than enough for what we do and represents a substantial power gain over the 4 cyl Perkins. My interest in intercooling is more to do with reduced EGT's and engine sympathy/efficiency than power increase though the potential gain of 20 HP with the very simple 6BT-A upgrade is an additional bonus. Sort of like having hay in the shed, there's no such thing as too much :)

Deano :)

More
05 Jun 2017 06:29 #385 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Mort
My son is looking at a Turbo Upgrade for his new purchase 049
Will there be enough people out there to do another manufacturing run

One XT for 049 Please
Is there anyone else out there to make up the production numbers?

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD. $150.00 Delivered
### OKA Manuals Now Available as a Download ###.

20mm Spring Hanger Pin Upgrade Kits.

David

More
05 Jun 2017 09:28 #386 by mort
Hi David
I have orders for another 4 and your son will make 5. The minimum order is 10 for production so if I can get 5 more it can go ahead.
Now might be the time to consider a turbo upgrade for those who were sitting back wondering if the new turbo really will work. You have all seen the charts from others who did the change and got a huge increase in available power at a small outlay.
Just to recap it is a turbo that is custom made and designed to suit the perkins engine as installed and used in the OKA not just another off the shelf turbo.
Let me know if your interested and I will get another production run going.
Martyn mob 0414632270
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth, 210greg

More
05 Jun 2017 20:30 #387 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

mort wrote: Hi David
... You have all seen the charts from others who did the change and got a huge increase in available power at a small outlay.

What chart?

More
05 Jun 2017 21:08 #388 by mort
Hi Holmz
There is about 20 pages to this topic and you dont want to read all so if you back up to about 15 and Rick Whitworth has posted I think 3 pdf files on his turbo upgrade you will find his before and after dyno charts and then about page 17 will be 210greg has posted his dyno charts before and after.
Martyn

More
05 Jun 2017 21:34 #389 by Holmz
I am finding it difficult to search and many pages seem to be broken.
But I am not in any great hurry as it is more on an information gathering hunt I am on.

More
07 Jun 2017 13:43 #390 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade - Calm, simple procedure for removing gear shafts?
Is there one?

I've removed mine twice now and each time it took a considerable amount of precision fiddling to get them out, transfer shaft to the rear, gear shaft to the front, neither came out willingly, caught up on wiring, clutch lever or chassis parts. Same when replacing them.

There must be a better way than the "monkeys with typewriters" process?

David

Oka148 profile here.

More
07 Jun 2017 19:24 #391 by Holmz

mort wrote: Hi Holmz
There is about 20 pages to this topic and you dont want to read all so if you back up to about 15 and Rick Whitworth has posted I think 3 pdf files on his turbo upgrade you will find his before and after dyno charts and then about page 17 will be 210greg has posted his dyno charts before and after.
Martyn

Ha !
I see with today's forum look that the 20 pages are the ones in this thread... Doh!

More
08 Jun 2017 20:03 #392 by John and Bronwyn
John and Bronwyn replied the topic: Turbo upgrade - Calm, simple procedure for removing gear shafts?

dandjcr wrote: There must be a better way than the "monkeys with typewriters" process?
David

I never found a better way although I had mine in & out several times, to resolve various clearance issues. Not just around the turbo but also under the intake cast pipework. Fiddle, jiggle, swear, fiddle, hold tongue in different position, .....

More
10 Jun 2017 07:11 - 10 Jun 2017 07:26 #393 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade - Calm, simple procedure for removing gear shafts?
Thanks John, my simple solution is: remove engine, remove, modify and replace gear shafts, refit engine.

However, I've now moved on and removed the dump pipe after a bit of a knuckle crunching struggle. Such a huge, heavy component and mounting bracket for just a bit of bent exhaust pipe?? Or is it a heat sink of some kind to the engine block?

Interesting that the mounting bracket is not even shown in the manual, only the stabiliser stay (although it is in the engine manual). Could it be that the bracket is not required at all if the exhaust pipe was supported elsewhere (so it doesn't hang on the turbo)?

Either way, my dump pipe is a sloppy fit on the new turbo exhaust spigot, although it measures almost the same (a few 10ths of a mm difference). I assume it should be a tight push fit to allow expansion but avoid the exhaust gas leakage which plagued my old turbo.

Can anyone suggest a solution or should I get a better fitting, lighter weight dump pipe fabricated (with an EGT threaded bolt fitted)? Could also solve the mounting bracket problem.

Regards, David

Oka148 profile here.
Last Edit: 10 Jun 2017 07:26 by dandjcr.

More
10 Jun 2017 08:38 #394 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade - Calm, simple procedure for removing gear shafts?
Hi David, The dump pipe can be remade if needed but yes it should be a firm fit and the ring that the dump pipe fits to on the turbo is removable its just a press fit also unfortunately not every thing on the perkins is engineered precisely.
Martyn

More
10 Jun 2017 15:01 #395 by dandjcr
Thanks Martyn, I should have looked back to page 13.

But I didn't know the turbo outlet ring was a press fit, looks like part of the casting. I'll try removing it and using my original sleeve since that does fit my dump pipe. I live in hope...

David

Oka148 profile here.

More
11 Jun 2017 08:06 #396 by dandjcr
All hope is dashed.

Even if I removed the outlet ring from the new turbo, my old sleeve wouldn't fit anyway, wrong diameter without major surgery.

So my options are either have my dump pipe inlet machined out and a sleeve fitted which matches the new turbo outlet diameter, or a whole new dump pipe fabricated. The latter seems preferable but the former would no doubt be less expensive and quicker.

David

Oka148 profile here.

More
11 Jun 2017 10:34 #397 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Turbo upgrade - Calm, simple procedure for removing gear shafts?
A flow dumping from smaller dieter into larger is often not a worry.

V-Band clamps are an elegant solution for zorst components.

More
13 Jun 2017 17:50 #398 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade - Calm, simple procedure for removing gear shafts?
David, sorry to hear your issues. I haven't checked yet but I recall reading somewhere that the Perkins used 2 different Turbo's is yours a Garret. I did send my own turbo to the factory to make sure that the new ones were made with the same fitting so maybe your dump pipe is slightly different I dont have any answers.
Martyn

More
13 Jun 2017 17:54 #399 by mort
Hi All standard turbo-ed OKA owners I have now orders for 6 new Turbo's and need a minimum of 10 before the factory will start production so now is the time to start deciding if you want one.
Martyn

More
13 Jun 2017 21:51 #400 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

mort wrote: David, sorry to hear your issues.
Martyn

Martyn, I've solved the problem, at least for the time being.

I ground out the dump pipe to form a smooth round surface and fitted a ring of 0.25mm thick shim inside it. That fits on the turbo outlet spigot quite tightly and should last for a while. If it leaks in the future at least I now know how to remove it.

I've modified the support bracket to suit with slotted holes and removed a lot of the redundant steel, especially the "wings" of the casting which were getting near the rear of the alternator and affecting access.

Just installing EGT and boost sensors and I can refit new turbo.

Regards, David

Oka148 profile here.