Turbo upgrade

More
29 Jul 2017 11:22 #421 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi All,
There is 14 orders and I have sent emails or private messages to all that is on the list you will need to confirm OKA model as there is a difference between the 2 turbos and full name and address required for direct shipping from factory via TNT and finally and most important payment.
Martyn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2017 06:46 #422 by mort
Hi All,
For the ones that ordered the turbos I have confirmed the order and made the first payment.
I am waiting on an email to inform when the production will start, it will be slotted in-between the current production run and the next which should be about a week or so.
Once produced and bench tested they will be ready for shipping which will be when the final payment will be made then shipped.
I will keep you informed as needed.
As there is still a week or more so anyone who wants still can order.
Martyn

More
06 Sep 2017 06:39 #423 by mort
Hi All,
An update on the turbo's
The first payment had been sent through my Bank which is Bendigo the same as normal when making payments overseas to whatever country and for whatever purpose.
On the strength of the documents I sent to confirm payment the factory started production prior to receiving deposit into their Bank.
After 5 days the factory sent email asking to confirm that I had sent money as it didn't arrive in the bank so I checked with my Bank and told that it can take up to 10 working days which I found strange but didn't worry yet, on the 9th day the Bank called with questions from the receivers Bank being did I know the manager, did I know if they or the factory had terrorist links, what product was I getting and what is it being used for etc etc.
My Bank and the factories Bank couldn't communicate with the one in between asking questions or holding up the money and after 15 days I started getting pissed off eventually I got to deal with the Manager of the investigations branch of the Bank who informed me that all money sent as U.S.$ has to go through a U.S. Bank before it reaches its destination so the trail is... Bendigo Bank--Bank of N.Y.--Bank of China U.S.-- receivers Bank which is Bank of China and the money was held up in between and Friday was informed that it has been rejected and being returned. Yesterday I got an email informing that it is on its way back.
It will cost me some fees at this stage no one will tell me how much but Bendigo is not going to charge and the factory has agreed to cover 50% of fees. I had to send money through PayPal as 2 more turbo's needed after I placed the initial order and it arrived within the same hour so when I get the money back I will try PayPal.
I dont know if the U.S. really believe it is a sus transaction or they are just making it difficult for China during this Korean issue.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
06 Sep 2017 16:56 #424 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Well Mort, who would have thought, you and Mrs Mata Hari (Hilda) being involved in the world of International crime and terrorism. I'm surprised you didn't use bitcoin as the preferred method of payment.
The humble Oka, now on the terrorist watch list, but I suppose anything's possible these days with the worlds biggest economy (and its military) being run by a complete 'reality show" lunatic and with a resurgent and neo colonial China acting the bully in the South China Sea against US (and the rest of the worlds) wishes and only too happy to stir the pot with the US and its ally Australia's interaction, not to mention (though I will) economic basket case Russia sitting on the side lines pouring petrol on the flames ............................... sigh.
Perhaps you should try Rubles to see if you can drive a wooden stake through the 'forces of evil's' heart ?

Deano :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarrenWebster303, 210greg

More
13 Sep 2017 06:48 - 20 Sep 2017 22:50 #425 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

dandjcr wrote: "I'm finally on the home run. It's been a long journey but not over yet".

Well it's been 2 months since I started the home run, not helped by very cold wet weather and still lots to do.

But the engine is now running with the new turbo and air filter system and it sounds very smooth with no oil leaks. No road tests yet as there are still a myriad of things to reinstall.

The mods to the gear shafts went well. Rather than using the sledge hammer or forked tree approach, using Ricks excellent diagrams as a guide, I cut thin wedges out of each of the bends, bent them as necessary and re-welded them after checking their operation and clearances. It was easier to adjust them that way. When re-welding I jammed slivers of steel into the bends first so the welding heat wouldn't distort them and stuff up the clearances.

Next job strangely enough, isn't the intercooler (although that's almost ready to go), it's remaking the external snorkel cover to keep the incessant rain out of the paper filter elements.

During this process, as I had the alternator and gear control box out (to tighten up the lever operation), I fitted a larger fan blade (generic part number 16361- 68031 for an HJ47 diesel LandCruiser, about $40). I had been beset with overheating problems during previous trips due in part to the viscous fan hub not "viscousing" enough but mostly to the fan blade being too small.

I finally tracked down one which fitted better and installed it. I did have to drill additional holes to attach it to the viscous hub (which I had reloaded with viscous oil from a hobby shop) and shift the cowling upwards a cm to centre the fan blade (fairly easy to do with the control box out), but it fits and appears to work better now.

There will now be a short intermission while I cut the long winter grass.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 20 Sep 2017 22:50 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
13 Sep 2017 14:14 #426 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
for anyone that is after the silicone fluid to put in the fan hubs you can buy it at most Toyota stealers. They sell it in little bottles for just that purpose.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells

More
13 Sep 2017 14:25 - 26 Sep 2017 05:48 #427 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
I bought my viscous silicone fluid from www.powerslideracing.com.au/losi-silicone-diff-oil-5000cs since it was easiest. It's used in the diffs of model racing cars.

I bought 3 strengths not knowing which would be best (I think Toyo use 3000cs). Might not solve the problem but cheaper than a new clutch and very educational.

Plenty of internet resources about "Viscous Fan Fix".

If it fails on a trip here's a simple way of locking the hub to the fan pulley, 2 bits of steel from the side of the road on the Tanami Track (2 bits to maintain balance) bent, drilled and bolted on.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 26 Sep 2017 05:48 by dandjcr.

More
13 Sep 2017 18:23 #428 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Another quick way to lock it up is to wrap a bit of rope around between the thermo bit and the hub, best not to let the fan do it itself as it is so tight that it has to be cut off with an angle grinder! ;-))))

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
15 Sep 2017 14:14 #429 by mort
Hi All,
I have just returned from the Bank to sign some documents etc as the monies were returned into my account yesterday as uncleared funds so after signing it will be cleared by close of business today.
The next step is to get it to the factory, They have made the turbo's and were waiting for payment before sending to be tested and balanced etc then package ready for shipping. I have kept the factory informed and they do understand that it wasn't anything that we did or could have anticipated,they did tell me that once the first payment made it should only take about a week to shipping.
I have copied and pasted the last few emails that were exchanged between the bank and myself for those that may think I was playing games with others money and its ok if you did as I can guarantee that I would have thought something was sus.
Martyn

Hi Martyn,

The $4,441.76 has been credited to your account.

Regards,

Josh.
Josh Barter | Local Connection
Head of International & Retail Payment Operations
Bendigo and Adelaide Bank | The Bendigo Centre | PO Box 480 | Bendigo VIC 3552
P: 0429 140 209 F: 03 5485 7660 | E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Sent: Thursday, 14 September 2017 4:17 PM
To: 'Martyn Swift'
Subject: RE: Copy of Payment - USD3315 - 08/08/17

Ok thanks Martin. I will arrange for the funds to be credited to your account shortly, and will let you know once done.

Regards,

Josh.

Josh Barter | Local Connection
Head of International & Retail Payment Operations
Bendigo and Adelaide Bank | The Bendigo Centre | PO Box 480 | Bendigo VIC 3552
P: 0429 140 209 F: 03 5485 7660 | E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

From: Martyn Swift [This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.]
Sent: Thursday, 14 September 2017 4:15 PM
To: Josh Barter
Subject: RE: Copy of Payment - USD3315 - 08/08/17

Hi Josh,
Yes I understand that there is no assurances and if it was only say a 4 day turnaround either deliver or return I would take the risk but on the other hand I cant afford a lengthy delay again so return the funds and I will send PayPal
Martyn

More
25 Sep 2017 17:00 #430 by mort
Hi All,
I have just received an email from the factory that the turbo's are coming to the end of the testing and will go to the packing and shipping department so now is the time for anyone who hasn't paid the full amount to do so.
The account details are the same.
Thank You
Martyn

More
05 Oct 2017 19:33 - 05 Oct 2017 19:34 #431 by mort
Hi All
I have finally received an email from the factory informing that they have been on holiday for the moon festival and that the turbo's are finished and TNT didnt pick up before the holidays but all paperwork is done and TNT will pick up on Monday to ship to Australia.
Based on the last deliveries it should take 4 days onwards to receive them as I get updates I will let you know.
Martyn
Last Edit: 05 Oct 2017 19:34 by mort.

More
11 Oct 2017 12:32 #432 by mort
Hi All,
The turbo's are now in the international depot in Hong Kong at last report and could already be loaded and on their way to Aus.
Will keep informed
Martyn

More
16 Oct 2017 09:26 #433 by mort
Hi All,
I have sent the tracking numbers to most but it seams that I got the numbers late because deliveries are already being made so if you didnt make arrangements for accepting delivery and now have to go to depot sorry.
Martyn

More
25 Oct 2017 16:50 - 26 Oct 2017 17:00 #434 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi all who have Martyn's turbos fitted, has your fuel consumption chainged.?
And is it more, or is it because you keep putting your foot into it.?

Cheers

Ewart oka 365
Last Edit: 26 Oct 2017 17:00 by Ewart and Vivian Halford. Reason: Typos.

More
18 Mar 2018 16:44 #435 by alanj
alanj replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hello all, I have been reading through the Turbo Upgrade discussion and am very interested in what it has to offer. It seems a great alternative for those who only want to improve the existing layout rather than the costly changes required with a transplant.

Is there anyone who has had the turbo upgrade interested in sharing their opinion a few months after the installation?

Enough time has passed now to provide real feedback.

Assuming all is well, are there any OKA owners who, like myself missed out on the opportunity or were just unsure at the time, want to order one earlier but would like to put their hands up now?

Upgrading the Perkins to get the best it can offer clearly requires a number of steps including the intake, the whistler, air cooling, tuning, and exhaust.

The turbo itself is probably the most significant link in the chain.

This really seems like a fantastic opportunity so anyone still thinking should jump on this bandwagon.

Finally, assuming there are enough of us stragglers, is there any chance we can place an order in for the turbos and if possible some of the other items in the chain? That question was aimed directly to the man with the plans - Martyn!

More
19 Mar 2018 10:08 #436 by mort
Hi Alan,
Reading between the lines in your post I am guessing you have some understanding of what is required and the benefits to be gained.
There has been 47 turbos made and although a very small number are still to be installed or the full mod to be completed I have yet to hear of anyone being disappointed in fact the opposite.
Some have had dyno before and after and if you go back to about page 15 you will see Rick had gone to some length to document his upgrade and dyno and if you go back to page 12 I think I had put up a link to an article on how to ajust your injector pump no different to if you got it dynoed but you will not know if you had it perfect or what your H/P is, I do know of 1 owner who is getting a boost of 20 and rang me all excited about how he can overtake anything on the road.
Does every vehicle ( oka ) on the road get the same result? I am confident in saying no because it depends on the installation,condition of engine, injectors and pump, weight of vehicle, tyres,T/C and a whole range of other factors but I can say everyone will get a big improvement.
A friend of mine Vince had changed the turbo only then tested the result was yes it seems a little better no probs I said when you can do your exhaust. some time later exhaust done his responce was it doesn't suck like yours... no not yet wait till the filter comes which did and we fitted yesterday then he went for test. I could see as he drove up the drive with a big grin but I asked how did it go his responce was it goes like a shower of s@%t er poo and we still have to install inter-cooler and dyno.
What I am saying here is all the changes make a difference indivually but all together is where the real benefit is.

I have 2 others who want a turbo or if you cant wait the factory will make small number but the price will be much higher.
Martyn

More
19 Mar 2018 19:31 #437 by alanj
Hi Martyn,

Thanks for that. It only serves to strengthen my resolve.

I would love the opportunity to join the others on the waiting list and will probably go ahead even if you don't get minimum numbers applying (depending on final costs of course).

In saying that, it would be really good to get more people to throw their hats in so everyone can together benefit from the lower costs.

This seems a good opportunity that doesn't come along too often so I hope that more people take advantage while the offer is there.

It would still be really good to get some of the first 50 (47) who have completed the installation in full to share their thoughts on the process. For all intents and purposes, you've created a couple of brand new products so there is still an element of unknown. Some feedback after a few months of driving could prove invaluable.

I have spent time slowly reading through the forum and notice that OKA owners seem to be some of the most innovative tinkerers out there. An upgraded and specifically tailored turbo system designed to bolt straight on could prove almost irresistible to a number of them.

Just to clarify, please add me to the waiting list.

Alan.

More
19 Mar 2018 20:59 #438 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

alanj wrote: ...
Thanks for that. It only serves to strengthen my resolve.

Alan.

Ideally you want quantitative numbers, rather than qualitative accounts,
e.g. ...:
What is the stock: boost, EGT, intake temp, HP/kW?
And then what are the metrics for the new system?

There is a lot of work in the development of new products.

How much power do you have? And how much do you need? (Knowing that too much is never enough)

More
21 Mar 2018 12:57 #439 by alanj
Indeed you're right, however I think the quantitative numbers have already spoken for themselves. That is what has gauged my interest personally.

There are benefits to qualitative accounts too. Have any of the turbos failed? Have any 'older' engines struggled or failed? Does anyone who has actually completed all the links in the chain regret undertaking the project? If so, why?

The truth is I believe that everyone is happy. Otherwise there would most likely be issues on this forum.

I think that it would be nice to get feedback because anyone who is still unsure can see that this is in fact a great opportunity. The implication being cheaper pricing.

More
21 Mar 2018 18:48 #440 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

alanj wrote: ... think the quantitative numbers have already spoken for themselves.

Let's assume that torque and HP scale together (because the RPM does not change).
Let's assume your current top speed is 100 kph.
If you want to go 110kph, then you need 21% more torque because the wind resistance goes as the square of the velocity. The HP is force through distance (or torque through angular distance), so 1.1x1.1 x 1.1 makes ~33% more HP being required.

I am not sure whether more air alone makes more power... for a petrol engine running "lean of peak" one gets better BSFC or more power from the same amount of fuel. Many diesels already run "lean of peak", and just a chip to add more fuel increases power.

Therefore If the standard turbo is already running at a high AFR, then just adding fuel will also improve the power.
( has anyone pursued that?)

alanj wrote: ...
The truth is I believe that everyone is happy...

There are truth and there are beliefs. ;)

I cannot claim I am unhappy, because I do not know what the before and after numbers are.
And I cannot claim that I am happy, because more power generally adds some happiness.

I believe you would be happy with the turbo if:
- If you need a minor amount of extra power,
- if you are comfortable chasing up (or getting others) having the fuel delivery enriched.

I believe that you would not be happy if:
- you need more power than a turbo upgrade supplies, and would find it a wasted step and felt you should have gone to a bigger engine.