Turbo upgrade

More
10 Jun 2018 18:04 #501 by alanj
alanj replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Martyn,

Did you get the numbers?

Alan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2018 09:46 #502 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Alan,
Sorry for late reply but I have been out of action for some weeks and no there has been no more added to the 5 already on order so I will contact factory and put in a small order by the end of the week.

If any one else wants a turbo then let me know asap as these are not off the shelf and need to be made to order.

Martyn

More
07 Aug 2018 14:08 - 07 Aug 2018 14:10 #503 by mort
Hi All,
I will be completing the order for turbo's by the end of this week and I have sent the details to all that are on the list so if you dont get en email from me by today slease contact me or as not every one gets on the site if you know anyone who might want one let them know to contact me as it has been 1 year since last order and you may have to wait another year.
Martyn mob 0414632270
Last Edit: 07 Aug 2018 14:10 by mort.

More
14 Aug 2018 10:30 #504 by mort
Hi All,
The order for the turbo's have gone through and production should start within the week so there is time for any late order and I will inform when shipping is ready.
Martyn

More
23 Apr 2019 11:41 #505 by OKA58
OKA58 replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Martyn. Any chance you have a copy of the fuel pump set up for tuning in the turbo upgrade. I have had a good look and can’t find the PFD cheers

Cheers Steve and Sal

More
23 Apr 2019 13:27 #506 by mort
Hi Steve,
I have sent a copy via email.
Martyn

More
15 Nov 2019 15:21 #507 by Daktari
Daktari replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Just thought I would share my recent experience upgrading my turbo with one of Martyn's beauties...my OKA#335 is pretty much stock standard and has always been quite sluggish (polite way of saying it) ... you know the picture ... the inner sense of dread as you approach a rise in the road and then checking the wind direction and speed in relation to my forward motion, judging the speed of the vehicle in front to see if you can build up any speed before the hill ... and then gripping the steering wheel ... leaning forward ... clenching cheeks ... foot firmly on the firewall .. and still losing :-( I had been driving this Oka for about 10 years and had thought "that's just how they are" and figured that one day I may have to swap out the engine for something bigger.
WELL ... after chatting with Martyn sometime ago about this, I decided I would do some simple things to see if I could get some better efficiency out of the LT110. So, with the help of Martyn I swapped out the standard turbo with one of his and IMMEDIATELY noted a significant improvement in available power ... it felt at least 50% more powerful. Followed this with changing my muffler for a dummy one (straight through), and OMG this old girl certainly has a new lease of life! I added an EGT (post turbo) and a boost guage and I feel a whole lot more connected with my machine. The vehicle is now much more responsive and comfortable on the road (and up hills). The max boost I am getting though is only 12psi ...
So ... I thought I would take it for a dyno tune to get the professionals to optimise the new set up. Upon Martyn's recommendation I took it to Marty at United Fuel Injection who had been 'briefed' on all Oka's. After fiddling around with it for 3 hours he came back to me and said he couldn't improve on it's performance ... he showed me a graph outlining that we had 77KW (105Hp) @2356rpm and 378Nm @1600rpm. He stated that these were pretty good figures for a stock Perkins, AND he wouldn't charge me as he said that he had been unable to offer any improvements ;-). He suggested adjusting the boost which is certainly the next little tweak I am going to do.
As you can imagine, I am pretty please with how this has turned out. A custom turbo designed for Oka, by a local (Martyn) who then came down and helped me install it, and then to have verification that all is running sweetly (at no charge) ... happy days. Highly recommend United Fuel Injection - speak with Marty there.
Thanks Martyn.
Love my truck, and very grateful for the community of committed (and knowledgeable) fanatics who also love theirs. Thanks for the forum too ... a huge repository of information here.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, mort, Rick Whitworth, 210greg, FC101

More
16 Nov 2019 04:21 #508 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Have you still got the rockwell transfer case? You never know, you might get up to 150Hp if you change that out! ;)

More
16 Nov 2019 06:17 - 16 Nov 2019 06:18 #509 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Daktari wrote: ...
... The max boost I am getting though is only 12psi ...

Interesting. I was thinking that my 11ish psi was abnormally low.
The zorst pipe is pretty blue and I need to install the EGT.
I also have the fat bulge installed in the zorst, which is a straight through minimalist attempt at a muffler.

More boost would in theory give more power even if more fuel was not added.

I have no way to know what the power was before. I can only assume that it must have been really patience building?
Last Edit: 16 Nov 2019 06:18 by Holmz.

More
19 Nov 2019 11:36 #510 by Daktari
Thanks Holmz, yes I believe it will make a difference and am keen to tweak and see what happens. I can hear a change in tone when psi hits around 11 and am thinking it may be waste gate opening and thus ?losing boost. Saying that though I am so stoked with the extra grunt I am now getting just with the simple changes made so far. I'll report back when I get some time to adjust it up.

More
19 Nov 2019 11:38 #511 by Daktari
Thanks Alister ... I shall have to do some digging here in this forum for discussion on the transfer case and ?subsequent loss through it. The bloody thing always weeps oil anyway and stuffs up my handbrake so would be a double bonus if I could get more power AND a working handbrake! ;-)

More
20 Nov 2019 05:20 #512 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
lol don't expect much from the XT handbrake either! you'd be best if you're upgrading t-case to upgrade the handbrake too. East Coast OKA Spares (Paul Knott) does a kit, not sure how much though...

Cheers, alister

More
20 Nov 2019 05:53 - 20 Nov 2019 06:11 #513 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Daktari wrote: Thanks Alister ... I shall have to do some digging here in this forum for discussion on the transfer case and ?subsequent loss through it. The bloody thing always weeps oil anyway and stuffs up my handbrake so would be a double bonus if I could get more power AND a working handbrake! ;-)

Betting on both is like playing red and black at the roulette table.

Alister McBride wrote: ..., not sure how much though...

The quote alone stops many in their tracks...;)

Daktari wrote: Thanks Holmz, yes I believe it will make a difference and am keen to tweak and see what happens. I can hear a change in tone when psi hits around 11 and am thinking it may be waste gate opening and thus ?losing boost. Saying that though I am so stoked with the extra grunt I am now getting just with the simple changes made so far. I'll report back when I get some time to adjust it up.

Let me know how you go with the adjustment... please.

It is a win/win with air, as more power and better (lower) BSfC happens with more air, and lower F:A ratios.
Then for the green crowd, the Nitrous Oxide production go down as the combustion temps go lower.
So itis a win win.

However you said that the fellow fiddled with it for three hours, so maybe there is no adjustment for boost?
If there is one, then where izzit?
Last Edit: 20 Nov 2019 06:11 by Holmz.