Turbo upgrade

More
20 May 2016 08:40 #81 by mort
mort replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Deano
Yes I agree although I have only had one sort of bad experience with DHL but the factory uses them and even though I have told them that I prefer TNT as they get the goods here faster and their depot is a lot closer in the end if the supplier only use one carrier and I get my goods as contracted I dont care.The price quoted and agreed on is what I pay and I wont pay any more or take any nonsense.

Martyn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2016 08:46 #82 by mort
Tony dont be sorry I would brag too Ha Ha.
The difference is 110 engine only is rated ta 110 H/P at 2600 RPM where the 135Ti is 135 H/P 25H/P difference thats is why you couldnt understand unless you have driven a standard.

Martyn

More
20 May 2016 08:49 - 20 May 2016 08:55 #83 by mort
The numbers at the moment are.
8 for XT
8 for LT
only 4 more to bring the price down.
As soon as the factory lets me know the outcome of the XT model and when the numbers reach 20 I will place an order unless it is obvious that the numbers I have is all that there is.

Martyn
Last Edit: 20 May 2016 08:55 by mort.

More
20 May 2016 18:18 #84 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

outyonda wrote: put me down for 2 x LT, #346x6 & #113

Another thing with freight, 1 at a time comes under $1000 duty free, put a dozen it a box & you get stung with import duty's!!

Hi Brett, I would have thought #113 would be a XT ? or have you been doing some cut & shut mods ? :)

Deano :)

More
21 May 2016 08:33 #85 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

Dean and Kaye Howells wrote:

outyonda wrote: put me down for 2 x LT, #346x6 & #113

Another thing with freight, 1 at a time comes under $1000 duty free, put a dozen it a box & you get stung with import duty's!!

Hi Brett, I would have thought #113 would be a XT ? or have you been doing some cut & shut mods ? :)

Deano :)

OH what a feeling, cable change

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405

More
21 May 2016 16:55 #86 by mort
We now have 20
10 XT model
10 LT model
so the price is $775 each until we get to 30 or I place an order and then we start again.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
22 May 2016 07:08 #87 by Terry Mclaaren
Terry Mclaaren replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Martyn

Please add me to the list for an LT.

Thanks Terry

Oka 407

OKA 407

More
22 May 2016 12:43 #88 by mort
I have had a number of calls regarding air filter what type etc. and inter-cooler so I will get photos when weather clears and some explanation on what I did and what I what I would not do again and why
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, PeteFox, Rick Whitworth, 210greg

More
22 May 2016 20:28 #89 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Martyn, could I suggest that before things go too much further you contact all those on your list to make sure it is correct.

More
22 May 2016 21:05 - 22 May 2016 21:16 #90 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Martyn,
I am fully committed to an XT version.
How does it work?
Is manufacturer supplying one for test (as with your LT) to make sure it fits before doing the production run?
Rick
Last Edit: 22 May 2016 21:16 by Rick Whitworth.

More
23 May 2016 15:05 #91 by John and Bronwyn
John and Bronwyn replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Hi Martyn

Please count me in too - XT (191).
You have done a fantastic job to get it all to this stage - we will forever be in your debt. I hope you have included your development costs in the price?

Best regards, John

More
23 May 2016 15:27 - 23 May 2016 15:32 #92 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Martyn would it be best to make one size fit's all

XT profile should fit LT ??

I have a XT motor & turbo fitted in a LT

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405
Last Edit: 23 May 2016 15:32 by outyonda.

More
24 May 2016 15:43 - 25 May 2016 14:22 #93 by mort
I have been out of action for a few days but now back

Rick has put up some details re filter.
Before I get to filter the question is why or is it needed to update
The idea of a Turbo is to force more air into the engine and as normal atmospheric pressure is about 14.5 psi so with a boost of 16 psi you are adding more than twice the amount of air than a non turboed engine and so it multiplies up as the boost increases up to say 21 is 2.5 x more air etc.
So with all that air you need to get it in and get it out.
A lecturer had explained this way ( it is the only thing I remember )if you close your lips like you are sucking through a straw and suck in air as quick as you can to fill your lungs then blow out out as quick as you can it will take about 3 seconds in and out with a lot of strain now open your mouth like you are yelling and do it again it takes 1/2 seconds in and out with no strain now that is the same as your engine breathing.
To get the most out of your engine you need to take out all restrictions.

I have used the Optiair 1100 it is more than suitable however the lid is about 115mm deep so it needs to be mounted sticking out or as I did mounted almost flush but it is a chore to get the lid off to clean or check filters.you can get wider guards etc which have the advantage of not only protecting the filter protruding but also mud protection (see photos).The other restrictions are snorkel I put 100mm, the ally S bend I used silicone bends and kept as large as possible and reduced only when I had to (see photo).
Exhaust 3" is fine but you must remove baffled muffler.

1) showing filter from under and method of securing.

2) Filter protruding approx 40mm + wide fibreglass guard you can buy from OKA parts and I made new metal guard to suit you can see that the last trip there was no tracks and bush marks on guard hence my reluctance to have filter protruding 115mm.

3) guard extension in front to cover step so no mud flung up onto step and then carried into cab.

4) inter-cooler piping exiting Turbo and entering air-box with spigot turned around.Inter-cooler piping 2.5".

5) snorkel 100mm and insulated.

6) S bend from filter to Turbo 5"-4" 4"-3" 3"-2 1/4" keep as big as possible and reduce only when you have to.

7) 4" into filter 5"
Last Edit: 25 May 2016 14:22 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, Rick Whitworth

More
24 May 2016 16:00 - 24 May 2016 17:42 #94 by mort
Trying to post photos and I HATE WINDOWS 10

OK tried again but got error message 404

OK tried again only to be told file size exceeds limit that is only one photo and I have about 10 am I getting frustrated YES and before anyone tells me to cut size reduce this or hold my tongue a certain way I will have no idea what you are talking about.
Martyn
Last Edit: 24 May 2016 17:42 by mort.

More
24 May 2016 16:38 #95 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Martin you must be commended for all your work. Well done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mort

More
24 May 2016 18:01 #96 by mort
OK after attempt at photos I will keep going.
If I had to do filter again I would explore other filters instead of Optiair.I like the idea of the current Donaldson as it is easy to remove filter,undo thumb screw of flat cover remove filter, it is metal and robust also if the inlet spigot is not in the right place move it and fill in hole the inlet and outlet on the Optiair is 5" where 4" is enough but being plastic cant change where if metal can always make another etc if looking again I would try truck wreckers as there is a big range out there.You will need to alter your coffin panel to suit the other way is to put one on each side with a pipe coming to a T before Turbo.
The snorkel I ran in 100 mm sewer pipe with bends the advantage is cheap and readily available easy to work with and you can heat it and mould to fit that oval hole at the top before sealing with marine grade silicone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
24 May 2016 18:57 #97 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Turbo upgrade

mort wrote: OK after attempt at photos I will keep going.

Appreciate your persistence Martyn, posting photos can be a challenge, but see my PM.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
24 May 2016 20:16 #98 by bobrichards
bobrichards replied the topic: Turbo upgrade
Just checking Martyn do you have XT 22 on your list? I did send you a message but not sure if you got it. Cheers Bob.

More
25 May 2016 06:46 #99 by mort
Hi Bob yes I got your orded

More
25 May 2016 07:12 - 25 May 2016 17:17 #100 by mort
Ok I tried to put captions under photos but didn't work so

1 showing filter from under and method of securing.
2 Filter protruding approx 40mm + wide fibreglass guard you can buy from OKA parts and I made new metal guard to suit you can see that the last trip there was no tracks and bush marks on guard hence my reluctance to have filter protruding 115mm
3 guard extension in front to cover step so no mud flung up onto step and then carried into cab.
4 inter-cooler piping exiting Turbo and entering air-box with spigot turned around.Inter-cooler piping 2.5".
5 snorkel 100mm and insulated.
6 S bend from filter to Turbo 5"-4" 4"-3" 3"-2 1/4" keep as big as possible and reduce only when you have to.
7 4" into filter 5"

Thank you David what would we do without you

Captions inserted, David
Last Edit: 25 May 2016 17:17 by mort.