RUST

More
19 Jul 2017 20:53 #1 by mort
mort created the topic: RUST
HI All
At the moment the OKA is just framework no roof walls or floor as I am re-skinning due to rust and that is no big deal however I asked around as to what experience others had with removing rust and the best products other than sandblasting etc.
The best recommendation was to use a product from Galmet, so 1 litre cost $75.00 thats OK if it works. I read all the instructions and went to their website for technical stuff yep all seemed ok so get to work.
After applying this stuff where there is rust it is suppose to turn black which shows that it has converted or killed the rust call it what you like and it did turn black so after the given time I had painted with an epoxy enamel to seal it and boy was I happy the chassis and frame work looked so good its a shame to cover.
The last couple of days I have been doing some welding and so I had needed to remove paint and/or the heat had burnt it off and to my disappointment the rust is still under the paint so have I been scammed I now have to strip off that paint retreat and repaint.
REMEMBER THE NAME GALMET
Before I do any more what products or methods have others used and are you sure it works because if I didnt need to weld I would have considered the OKA to be rust free ....at least until it starts again.
Martyn (its an OKA thing)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2017 06:36 - 20 Jul 2017 06:43 #2 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: RUST
Rust, The Never Ending Story.

Mort, sorry you've had a bad experience. I've used Ranex Rustbuster from Whitworths (and probably other places too).

It seems to work if the loose rust is removed first.

Whitworths also sell other rust converter products and since they are marine suppliers, one would assume their products work as advertised. You could call Bondall, the manufacturer, in Perth on (08) 6272 3800 and chat with their tech dept.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 20 Jul 2017 06:43 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mort

More
20 Jul 2017 11:32 #3 by darren lilly
darren lilly replied the topic: RUST
I used POR15 products on the floor pan of one of my jeeps about 4 years ago no rust has reappeared, also used galmat on some framework on the oka about 5 years ago & after removing all loose rust first & moistening the metal to aid penetration still no rust has come back. Think I mentioned this before I use a citric acid bath on parts that will fit in the bath but it will destroy alloys etc so be careful,this is not a rust converter it dissolves it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mort

More
20 Jul 2017 14:41 #4 by John and Bronwyn
John and Bronwyn replied the topic: RUST
Mort, that's frustrating.
Your experience has touched a nerve, so I've done some searching.
I don't think I have used Galmet (although the name is familiar) but over the years I have used similar products with decidedly mixed results.
Looking online, the basic problem seems to be that the "converter" can be unreliable regardless of brand. Apparently they commonly use tannic acid or phosphoric acid to "convert" the rust to something more stable. Looking at the SDS suggests that Galmet is the tannic acid variety, which will turn the rust black.

Some more info here: blog.higgins.com.au/blog/rust-converters This site quotes some reservations on use of rust converters in the Australian Standards. Apparently it is possible for excess acid to remain or for the converter mixture to incompletely penetrate the rust layer. Either will cause problems down the track.
Dunno where that leaves us all - except with the Herculean task of removing all rust and starting with clean metal....
Has anyone found something reliable?
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, mort

More
20 Jul 2017 17:40 #5 by mort
mort replied the topic: RUST
Thank you David,Darren and John,
I have spent today on the phone or internet researching and the more I do the more I think I will do the best I can in removing the rust and when I cant climb into the OKA I will give it to my boys to deal with any rust issues.
I had rang Galmet to get feed back only to be told that they will ring me back but I am still waiting.
I was recommended a product from rustedsolutions called rust remover gel their link is rustedsolutions.com.au/ all the details and before and after pictures look impressive but in real life who knows. I did phone and explain to the manager the problem we had a long conversation about his product and others and there differences etc he did say if it didnt work I am welcomed to bag it.
The Ranex I have used and have a bottle on my bench which I didnt use as I have found over the years that for me it is good for removing rust stains and that is about all.
The POR 15 which stands for paint over rust, I checked the U.S. and Aus site www.ppcco.com.au/ ( they have some good products ) then rang and spoke to a technical person who answered all questions. This is different to others where it seals the rust to prevent any moisture from reacting and so the rust is still there but I guess dormant which is the part I have a problem with.
I went on to YouTube and watched a number of videos some have good results some bad which left me confused as to what to do until I decided rust is a fact of life that I have to live with and so I will do the best I can within reason and what I cant do I wont loose sleep over.
Martyn (its an OKA thing)

More
20 Jul 2017 20:02 #6 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: RUST
POR 15 is used by most people with boats and racer cars.
There is no better... there may be just as good for cheaper, but the labour is often the bulk of the cost so unless one needs gallons then people like me can justify it. For exposed surfaces like the parts of chassis that one can reach maybe a less would be good to consider??

The POR distributor is Allen Donnell at "Ardon Marine".
Shipping can be dire to here, or I would suggest that one considers organising a group-buy depot in the major cities and spilling it up.

Mine is sitting in the entry way as I have not put it away along with the spar varnish.