Air Cleaner

More
10 Jan 2018 06:15 - 10 Jan 2018 06:16 #41 by mort
mort replied the topic: Air Cleaner
Hi All,
Just to keep all those that have ordered filters informed that I have just received an email from the factory that they have had a severe snow storm and as a result the factory is temporally closed till it is over and they can clear away the snow, it should only be a few days or more.
Martyn
Last Edit: 10 Jan 2018 06:16 by mort.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2018 17:26 #42 by mort
Hi All,
I have just received an email from the factory that they will start the production tomorrow so should be ready maybe for delivery by the end of the week.
For those that want one but have put off ordering you dont have any more time maybe a day or two.
Martyn

More
03 Feb 2018 19:01 #43 by mort
Hi All,
Have had an email from factory confirming names and addresses as they are ready for shipping so shouldnt be long now.
Martyn

More
16 Feb 2018 08:13 #44 by mort
Hi All,
An update ...good/bad??
The filters etc have been packed and addressed and sent from the factory to the shipping office ( TNT ) but that is where the holdup is.
It is the Spring Festival period or end/start of the Chinese Lunar calendar better known as the Chinese New Year which is their main festive period just like our Christmas/New Year period.
I knew this was coming and so made sure that the factories that I deal with would get the products finished and shipped before business closed and all went well except every other company sent their goods out as well and the shipping companies couldn't meet the demand before close of business.
I have been trying to get updates for the last week and only now received a reply and they have confirmed that the filters will go as soon as the office opens on their return to work.
As soon as I get tracking numbers I will let you know.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: MichaelLHession

More
19 Feb 2018 21:53 #45 by OKA58
OKA58 replied the topic: Air Cleaner
Thanks for the update mate.
Cheers Steve

Cheers Steve and Sal

More
02 Mar 2018 08:23 #46 by mort
Hi All,
I received an email yesterday informing that the paperwork has been sent for customs and export clearance which is only a formality so should be on their way.
not received tracking numbers yet but maybe as in the past the items have arrived in Australia and at times delivered before I get tracking so we will see.
Martyn

More
06 Mar 2018 11:19 #47 by mort
Hi All,
I have been to the gathering and got back last night so have just looked at emails and can now say that they are on their way so look out for them over the next few days and I should receive tracking numbers today.
As soon as Vince received his I was going to help him to install and take photos with details and why I do something which will make it easier for all but there will be a delay of a few weeks which is explained in another post.
Martyn

More
07 Mar 2018 18:05 #48 by mort
Hi All,
Tracking numbers sent out by SMS mostly and some by email with one by private message so if you didnt get check P.M.
Martyn

More
09 Mar 2018 13:41 - 09 Mar 2018 14:20 #49 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Air Cleaner

I have a number of names on the list for the air filter so over the next few days I will send out the bank details to those that have told me that they want the air filter and silicone bends.

So are the two bends for air cleaner to turbo connection coming separately? I know the bends required for the snorkel aren't included, but thought the other two were.

I would suggest that the tapered ring meant to seal the open end of the safety filter against the back of the housing be replaced with a soft flat washer the same dimensions as the end of the safety filter (and glued on to either the filter or the rear wall of the filter because the rubber ring supplied is too small in diameter and there is no sure way to ensure that it isn't off-centre enough for the washer to not seal on one side.

Looking at the angled vanes on the end of the swirler insert, would it pay to spend half an hour with a sharp knife to remove the "buttresses" from each end of each vane, or are they there to provide some reinforcement for the vanes?

Another puzzle that might be solved once I start the installation is that with the vacuator at the 6 oclock position looking at the side of the OKA , the inlet pipe is at 1:30 ie pointing forward (and it points in towards the filter housing close to radially) so instead of being able to connect to the vertical snorkel pipe with 2 90 degree bends it is going to require different angles to 90 degrees or three 90 degree angles. Would be different if the inlet pipe entered the housing semi tangentially (to aid the action of the vanes) and therefore parallel to the vacuator, but it is radial
Last Edit: 09 Mar 2018 14:20 by Tony Lee.

More
09 Mar 2018 19:10 #50 by mort
Hi All,
Yes Tony the silicone bends that connect the filter to the turbo was suppose to come with the filter but they ended up at my place so I will need to send in a bag to each.
Yes the rubber seal for the safety filter is not as the sample,I have taken photo's of each and sent to factory and will try to get a replacement to give a better seal.
The buttresses are there to strengthen the vanes and I would think more to give a thicker edge to prevent or slow erosion over time.
Those issues are not anything that would concern me too much but what does is the intake spiggot which is on the right hand side when it should have been on the left.
I dont know if it will make installation difficult I need to have a go this weekend but in the mean time I have sent a strong email to the sales manager for an answer and replacement as clear instructions and a cad drawing was approved prior to order.
I will keep all informed.
Martyn

More
16 Mar 2018 12:50 #51 by mort
Hi All,
I have sent emails including photo's to the factory with no response but I recieved one this morning so now we are back talking maybe its the one I sent to the company manager that got things moving. It was a bit harsh but if they wern't going to communicate then I could let rip politely with no confusion as to how I felt.
I have installed into mine and it is ok but I had allready had an optiair so saturday I will help Vince or he will help me ( by watching ) install from scratch and take photo's.
Martyn

More
18 Mar 2018 14:58 #52 by mort
Hi All,
Well so far the response from the factory is that they made according the drawing their reason is that looking from the back the spiggot was rotated to the left but I wanted looking from the front it should rotate to the left so we are both right or wrong.
Who ever looks at a drawing from the rear unless it is marked rear elevation.
I never expected them to replace the housing but at least recognize there is a problem so it didnt happen again.
I am still sorting some other issues which are not a big prob and wont go into at this stage.
Vince's went in yesterday so I will continue in the next post with photos
Martyn

More
18 Mar 2018 15:42 - 18 Mar 2018 16:32 #53 by mort
Hi All,
Vince had allready removed his air-cleaner and cut the hole by the time I had arrived at about 11.30 so I cant really show a start and finish and I was a little bit annoyed as it wasn't exactly where I wanted but it is his vehicle and he can do as he wants and I have to work with what is presented, if I had cut I would have moved closer to the front and a little lower ( I was preoccupied and didnt take photo ).
When marking out remember to look inside at what you have to work with and there is a cross rail just above the hole so that is your max room to go up, I would suggest about 10mm below then mark out by putting the new filter up against the body and mark with pencil then cut out smaller than hole so if you are wrong there is still room to move.
I only used tin snips ( curved ) left and right hand cut but at the bottom there is a doudle layer of metal and an angle grinder will be needed with a thin blade.
Always check your hole against the room inside.
The inlet needs to be cut down to about 30mm in height or less but remember that you need to fit a silicone bend so allow for a hose clamp then for a trial fit turn upside down and slide about half way into hole then rotate anti clockwise right side up, it should be in position now.
For mounting I used 30mm x 2mm galvanized flat bar attacher from the rail where the mudguard brace is across to where the guard is bolted to the body so when cutting bar check if you need to put a curve in to go around the filter housing.

It may seem a bit flimsy as Vince did but trust me that filter is not going anywhere and I prefer simple which doesn't mean weak or substandard but if you want to do different that is up to you.
Once you have the bracket done you can remove and get onto the snorkle.

The snorkle needs removing and the 2 brackets 1 in the photo cut out.

I chose to use 100mm pvc sewer pipe and fittings you can use whatever you like.
100mm pvc is internal dia where 100mm exhaust pipe is external dia also the snorkle you remove is exhaust and you will see that it is all rusty inside which is rough and creates friction and turbulance etc but the sewer pipe is smooth and slippery cheap and easy to work with, it can also be remoulded with a bit of heat.
You can cut to size and fit but it may need to come out later if in the way.

Will continue.
Martyn
Attachments:
Last Edit: 18 Mar 2018 16:32 by mort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: darren lilly

More
19 Mar 2018 18:59 #54 by mort
Continue.
In the 2nd photo above you will notice that there is no insulation on the inside skin because it was taken out as it had broken down, if you have it leave it or put in new.
At this stage or earlier it is so much easier to cut a hole to get easy access for connections, you might like to not but why make things hard.
Once the new snorkle is in place ( you can cut off the joiner section as it is not needed and makes it easier to go through the hole ) put your filter housing back in and connect your silicone fitting and check for height you mat find you will need to cut down the end that fits onto the housing so it lines up with the pvc snorkle as the photo.

The hardest part is to connect the silicone bend to the pvc but if you have patience and with tinsnips cut small cuts around about 20mm apart and 10mm long and have some liquid soap to make things slippery and it will go on ok.
At this stage you can fix in the filter permanently.
What I did and have done to 3 others is to drill through the flat bar and the filter housing and use some flat bar as in the photo or if you have big washers give them a hit with a hammer to curve them and this will hold the housing firmly.Make sure the housing is lined up before drilling as I didnt and that is the reason for the full length where normally I would have cut maybe 50mm long pieces and run around the housing but it still works.

Once that is all in place you can work on filter to turbo with a fitting that should look like this.

Will continue
Attachments:

More
20 Mar 2018 02:33 - 20 Mar 2018 02:43 #55 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Air Cleaner
What is not obvious to me is how you are connecting the filter inlet spigot to the vertical tube of the snorkel. With the filter inlet facing backwards by 30 degrees as designed, it would have been in line with the snorkel riser so two 90 degree bends and a horizontal and a vertical plus a 45 degree cut-down bend at the top would have been needed for a neat job. However, with the inlet pipe now facing forward 30 degrees there is either going to be extra bends required or a fair bit of 'stretching' of rubber bends (which weren't required in the original design as PVC would have worked) to get it all lined up.
EDIT - I see the design was for one rubber bend to be supplied to go from the filter inlet spigot to the PVC pipe - third item in the parts list --- Hi Tony,
Supplied is,
! x filter housing.
1 x main and 1 x safety filter
1 x silicone bend 100 mm for snorkel to filter housing inlet
2 x silicone bend 100 mm
1 x silicone bend 100 mm reduce to 74 mm
1 x silicone 74 to 65 mm straight reducer all for connection from filter out to turbo in.
Shipping to your door.

Given that none of my other vehicles have filters with vacuators, I will be very inclined to blank off the vacuator completely and rotate the filter housing back where it should have been so that the inlet lines up with the vertical tube of the snorkel. If I decide that the vacuator is useful instead of just a potential ingress point for water and dust, then I will cut it out including part of the filter barrel to act as a mounting flange and mount it in the right position and blank off the resulting 3" hole where it used to be.

Bit of a bugger given that neat sheetmetal work is not part of my skill-set.

Once the missing rubber elbows turn up, I'll have a closer look at it
Last Edit: 20 Mar 2018 02:43 by Tony Lee.

More
20 Mar 2018 07:16 - 20 Mar 2018 07:21 #56 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Air Cleaner
1x1 warenty on bracket !!

1 corrogation or 1 puddle ??

flat bar has no lateral strength, bend it back & forth a few times & it will break
when the holes in the tin housing get wet & vibrate, old faithfull rust moves in ??

that is why you encircle the air cleaner & clamp it proper job.

get a 10" clamp from Donaldson or an Iveco dealer

mount it properley & you wo;nt be the goose who run over his filter !!

protectct your engine, protect your filter.

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405
Last Edit: 20 Mar 2018 07:21 by outyonda.

More
20 Mar 2018 10:15 - 20 Mar 2018 10:20 #57 by mort
Hi Tony,
Yes it may look a bit confusing until you start but it all fits.
the snorkle is made up of approx 650mm long pipe and 2 x 90 deg pvc bends which can pivot to whatever angle is needed to line up with the 90 deg silicone bend on the inlet spigot.
I have taken a photo of mine which I cut a bigger hole so it can be viewed better but I have left out the small piece required to join both.

Ok so the photo wont load... file size too big but it is only 1 photo so will try later.
Martyn
Last Edit: 20 Mar 2018 10:20 by mort.

More
20 Mar 2018 10:27 #58 by mort

Photo loaded I hope this helps Tony and any one else also Tony the fittings were posted on 12/03/2018 so you should get them in a day or so I know others have rung on different days letting me know they have arrived.

Martyn
Attachments:

More
20 Mar 2018 11:24 #59 by mort
Hi All,
In reply to Brett's post, Yes if you drill a hole in the tin can it will rust if you do nothing and the photo I had taken and submitted was taken in the course of the installation and the description is not finished but now is a good time.
Any metal cut or holes drilled will need to be treated with whatever you like paint is a good product and the holes drilled in the can I have used silicone to seal to ensure against water and dust and the best I have found is marine grade,it is very flexable and withstands a range of chemicals and acids it is also paintable.
Yes flat bar will eventually weaken and break if bent enough times however if you think a 300mm long x 30mm wide and 2mm thick bar carrying 7 kg ( the weight of the filter ) divided by 2 bars and supported some what by the inlet and outlet spigots is going to have any or some flex enough to break then as I have allways said its your vehicle then you can do what you want.
Use 3mm bar,angle or even C channel.
Dont let Brett lead you astray because if you go and buy a 10" clamp from Donaldson you will waste your money what you need is 300mm.
I have 2 that I did buy but found I didn't need them so if anyone wants they cost me $240 but I will sell for $150 + about $17 postage.
I have pohto's of them with the part number.

If you look at the photo in the previous post you will see that there is no room for the filter to fall out it has to go through the hole that you enlarge on the coffin panel again dont let others who use dramatic descriptions to confuse you.
I installed an optiair in mine some 4 yrs ago using the same method and clocked up many klm's over some rough tracks and I must say the only time my filter moved was when I undid the brackets to pull it out.
Bottom line and to be blunt I dont care what you use or how you do it, it is your vehicle you do what you think best not what some one else tells you to do
Martyn
Attachments:

More
20 Mar 2018 13:49 - 20 Mar 2018 13:55 #60 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Air Cleaner
apoligies I gess ta mated the size, add 50mm to 10" & all is good

CORRUGATIONS kill anything loose

the clamp brackets are to firmley mount the air cleaner to body
something just sitting there witk flex & a coupl of clamps will rattle over corragations & progressavly get worse with time.

if you use this method, rubber mount it ao all flexes with the bumps.

I'm just pointing out the facts,I have seen badley mounted bits rattle off all vehicles.
as Mort said , this is only a guide,
I could be wrong!!

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405
Last Edit: 20 Mar 2018 13:55 by outyonda.