Air Cleaner

More
22 Mar 2018 18:13 #61 by mort
mort replied the topic: Air Cleaner
Hi All,
Well I have had an interesting 2 days.
I have been sending email and photos back and forth to the person that I had started dealing with and when the reply stopped I said bugger it I have nothing to loose so rang the factory and got the email address of the manager and sent him an email polite but to the point which started up communication again, however I was still getting nowhere and the final straw was when he blamed myself for the issues.
I sent what I thought was my final email pointing out that it has been made difficult to get him to understand that I wasn't asking for a full replacement or expect them to offer replacement but I just wanted them to know and accept what I wanted for any future orders and finished with ...I am sure you are not employed to chase customers away especially when they may turn out to be your biggest customer.
I then sent a copy of all emails and photo's to the manager expecting never to hear from them again.

Yesterday I got an email from the CEO apologising for the treatment given by his staff and I would be contacted by someone who will deal exclusively with me.
I then get an email from the Export Manager along the same lines as the CEO then while reading the email I got a phone call from him which was a surprise, he told me that Elson was not working there now which I told him that I didnt want anyone sacked maybe just a bit of retraining anyway we finished on a good note.
Today I get an email and phone call from the Sales Manager who did admit that Elson was in fact sacked and I was to deal direct with him from now on. they have gone through all communication and interviewed the production manager and now see where the issues are and make sure they dont happen again.
In the course of the phone call I was informed that they make all manner of filters including oil and fuel so now that they want to please I will look at their catalogue and/or send a list of part numbers and see if they can supply.

Martyn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2018 09:38 #62 by mort
Hi All,
Ok back to fitting.

To make up this fitting from the filter to turbo you will need to work 1 at a time and trim where needed but if you fit the same as this one then the only trim is the joint between the first ( from filter ) and second bend it is easy using tinsnips.
To join use 100mm stainless ( prefered ) exhaust pipe but dont clamp yet as you will need to rotate, you will also realise that you have a 3" to 2.5" straight reducer but will now not need as the 4" to 3" reducer bend will fit up to the turbo and that is good for the turbo to draw air however 3' onto the turbo wont fit so you will need to use the fitting that came off the turbo originally as a packer so cut it down to fit over the neck of the turbu before fitting the reducer bend and clamp this first before the rest and end up with what is in photo above.

Outside your pipe will look like this you could leave it like this but having gone this far do you want to ...no so this plastic will soften under heat and you can remould to not only fill the hole but open up to allow better flow.
I used a heat gun which is like a hair dryer set on about 200 deg but dont get too close as you will burn the plastic or damage the paint and keep it moving until plastic soft enough to mould.
You will need something to shape it and hold in place till cool and remain in new shape. I used a 3' pipe and wet rag to assist in cooling.
If you dont have a heat gun then a dair dryer will do but may take a bit longer to heat up just dont tell your wife you used it.
so when done it should look like this.

You can then seal around the pipe and panel I use a marine grade silicone as it will withstand a range of chemicals and acids and salts etc and will remain flexible, after a few days when cured you can trim off any excess pvc pipe with an angle grinder and put the cowl on.
On the inside you can insulate the pipe if you want like this.

then put on the cover if you have one.
Outside should look like this.

As I said before Vince had cut the hole and didnt take much care as he will strip and reskin soon but if you are careful you should not damage the paint as he did.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
25 Mar 2018 14:27 #63 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Air Cleaner
Maybe after Easter.

More
11 May 2018 12:39 #64 by mort
Hi All,
There is 5 owners wanting new filters and fittings so if anyone else wants one let me know.
Martyn

More
11 May 2018 18:48 #65 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Air Cleaner

mort wrote: Hi All,
If you don't have a heat gun then a hair dryer will do but may take a bit longer to heat up just don't tell your wife you used it...
Martyn

Sounds like a PermanentPermanent fix B)

More
12 May 2018 05:57 #66 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Air Cleaner
For those who have fitted this air cleaner, what have you done to make sure the safety filter is properly centered. on the exit hole AND remains centered, and properly sealed to the back wall of the housing

More
10 Mar 2019 11:04 #67 by Holmz
As I have th coffin panel off, and looking at the big allow casting...
It seems the right time to attend to the air filter.

Do I run the Mort unit? Or the acco 1810, and is a Donaldson one of those, or is it a third unit that is different again from an Optiair 1100 (which makes #4)?

More
10 Mar 2019 12:25 #68 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: Air Cleaner
Hi
I personally think that the “1810 A “- look a lot better as it looks like the original one and is a lot easier to fit with very little modifications
Look at Denos post on here he wrote all that you need to do to fit the 1810 A that is if you can find one I think they are a little hard to come by I hear
But if you can not find one mort s is the the other option
Good luck

Jenny and I both enjoy the great outdoors. We try to get away 4 to 5 month a year.

More
10 Mar 2019 16:36 #69 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Air Cleaner
Rick Whitworth did a great series of articles on fitting the Optiair 1100 series which I and quite a few others have fitted.
It is on the forum here somewhere.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
10 Mar 2019 17:09 #70 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: Air Cleaner
Sorry Peter yes you are correct Rick did do a great right up on the optiair I was going to add it in my last post but the finger tapping on the phone was faster than the brain
All the air cleaner s are great as the Perkins or the cummins definitely like the extra easier air from the upgrade
Cheers

Jenny and I both enjoy the great outdoors. We try to get away 4 to 5 month a year.

More
10 Mar 2019 18:29 - 10 Mar 2019 19:09 #71 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Air Cleaner
Opti air 1100 doco attached but I don't recommend it because
1 it is too big in diameter so you really need to shift the xt or lt firewall back a bit if you want to have the casing removeable
2 the steel Fleetguard mounting ringclips need to be modified to fit the firewall
3 the plastic release clip is on the wrong side so you need to modify it as I describe to make it easily accessible

I agree with Harry and Peter, either Mort's unit or Paul/Deanos ACCO 1810 are an easier fit if you can get one

also they are steel not Polypropylene
'

Rick Whitworth: OKA XT 149.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 Mar 2019 19:09 by Rick Whitworth.

More
11 Mar 2019 03:29 #72 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Air Cleaner
Having fitted the Optiair a few years back, yes it is a tight squeeze but it can be done without touching the back panel and also without drastically modifying the latch mechanism on the Optiair lid.
I had no access to the rear panel from behind as my house batteries and all electrical are mounted in there, the main house electrical is also mounted on a board covering the panel completely from the rear.
So what I did was to cut the existing air cleaner bracket away and then drill out the bolts holding it to the cab wall, three of the resultant holes in the back panel were then sealed with Sika the fourth bottom one closest to the outside was fitted with a nutsert from the front or air cleaner space.
Once the floor of the cab behind the drivers seat has been modified as per Ricks instructions to allow for the larger plumbing then the air cleaner can be slid in and fitted in place. It is held in place by a very large hose/worm drive clamp which runs through a bracket with a slot in it attached to that nutsert mentioned above. The aircleaner can't fall out as the outlet pipe is sitting on the body from on the engine end, the hose clamp is holding it on the outside end and once the mudguard rear section is bolted back in it cannot fit out anyway. Mine certainly hasn't moved over many thousands of rough outback travel.
The locking latch has its end part for your finger cut off so the latch is pretty flush with the case and can sit up just behind the outer coffin panel skin. To unlock the latch now you need a flat blade screwdriver about 8mm wide to be put under the remainder of the latch and twisted, then the lid can be rotated for removal. Having to use a screwdriver and with the remainder of the latch not really obvious also stops sticky fingers playing with the aircleaner. .

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
11 Mar 2019 15:53 #73 by Holmz
Sounds like the Acco 1810 needs to be found, or I go with Mort.
Thanks!

More
12 Mar 2019 09:40 #74 by alanj
alanj replied the topic: Air Cleaner
Mort, there appears to be some interest in the air cleaner. If you're looking at ordering, can I please put my name down for one as well? Do you have minimum numbers needed to order?

Alan.

More
12 Mar 2019 16:39 #75 by Holmz

alanj wrote: Mort, there appears to be some interest in the air cleaner. If you're looking at ordering, can I please put my name down for one as well? Do you have minimum numbers needed to order?

Alan.

^ditto^

Or I need to know if there are varieties of the acco 1810, or if youthere is (like Highlander) only one.

More
15 Mar 2019 13:55 #76 by mort
Hi Alan,
Yes there is some others who are waiting for an order to come so your name added.
I may be wrong but didn't you tell me when you got the turbo that you had an optiair 1100 to install and if so did you not install, just wondering.
Martyn

More
15 Mar 2019 14:01 #77 by mort
Hi Holmz,
Yes I can put your name on the list and will contact you to confirm when ready to order just in case you locate an Acco.
Just for your info the Acco is about 250 mm dia and the one I get is 305 mm so much larger capacity and made to fit easy but if you look for another dont go any larger as it wont fit.
Martyn

More
15 Mar 2019 14:49 #78 by alanj
Thanks Mort, yes I did recently order the Optiair 1100 but would rather a bolt-in unit if at all possible.

If there is anyone out there who has an unwanted turbo dump pipe sitting on a shelf and would much rather an Optiair 1100 in its place, let me know!

More
10 Apr 2019 11:57 #79 by alanj
Hi Mort,

Have you had many takers for the air cleaner?

Alan.

More
11 Apr 2019 06:12 #80 by Holmz

alanj wrote: Hi Mort,

Have you had many takers for the air cleaner?

Alan.

My forepaw is raised.