Dana 70 oil level with axle wedges

More
05 Aug 2018 11:44 #1 by tcgreen
tcgreen created the topic: Dana 70 oil level with axle wedges
I have finished checking the diff and changing the oil, and now have a pinion seal oil leak. This has previously been intermittent but appears worse now. As my Oka has 15mm wedges under the rear axle I have raised the diff oil level to about the top of the inspection hole (there is an extension tube in place) to ensure the pinion bearing is lubricated. It takes a tad under 4 litres. The yoke and seal were replaced about 12 months ago, so I am now wondering if I have made the oil level too high???

Any ideas on how high the oil level should be would be much appreciated.

cheers

Tony

Tony & Chris
Oka 334 motorhome.
Cummins 6bt, 4L80e auto, Nissan transfer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2018 18:49 #2 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Dana 70 oil level with axle wedges
Tony my rear diff is at a similar angle, I have an after market steel plate cover on my diffs after denting the front sheetmetal one in on a rock the first time we had the Oka in 4wd. It's filler plug is way too high but I fill the diff to a similar height to yours, mine holds about 5 litres at that height but the cover is a different shape so that will account for some extra. I've never had any problem with a leaky pinion seal due to too much oil so I reckon either your seal has failed.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
05 Aug 2018 18:52 #3 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Dana 70 oil level with axle wedges
Hi Tony,may I ask what is the purpose of the 15 mm wedges ?
Cheers,Joe

More
05 Aug 2018 18:58 #4 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Joe the diff nose was rotated upwards to achieve a better driveline angle when a different/longer drivetrain was fitted and also just about every Oka's rear diff has a nose down attitude which leads to an appetite for rear uni joints.

More
05 Aug 2018 19:11 #5 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Dana 70 oil level with axle wedges
Peter,there is a common believe that installing wedges will improve the drive line angle when in fact the angle is not the problem but the two planes being out of parallel is,I have seen this time and time again and people not checking what the angle of the flange behind the transfer case is,the aim should be to have a pinion angle as close to 90 degrees to the flange as possible also people should be mind full and make sure that the diff cover is actually a Dana 70 and not a 60 with the lower level plug
Cheers,Joe

More
05 Aug 2018 19:26 #6 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Joe I know what you mean re the angles, but in my case and Tony's the angle changed from standard so we had to shim the diff housing to get the flanges back parallel. My truck has now done about 80k since the change and the uni's are fine as both flanges are parallel.

More
07 Aug 2018 07:42 #7 by tcgreen
tcgreen replied the topic: Dana 70 oil level with axle wedges
Thanks for the info and explanation about the need for axle wedges. We are on the road (finally) and my phone reception is very intermittent.
Tony

Tony & Chris
Oka 334 motorhome.
Cummins 6bt, 4L80e auto, Nissan transfer.