XT rear diff blown

More
05 Sep 2018 08:50 #1 by OKA58
OKA58 created the topic: XT rear diff blown
Hello everyone. Just did a 2 month trip out bush and the rear diff lost a tooth on the pinion. It also smashed up the crown teeth as well. Does anyone know if there is a place in Perth that knows how to rebuild Dana diffs. I live in Karratha so I will have to truck it down. Cheers Steve

Cheers Steve and Sal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2018 09:23 #2 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: XT rear diff blown
Get in touch with Joe Baz, he’s a member on this forum
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz

More
05 Sep 2018 10:01 #3 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: XT rear diff blown
Hi Steve and Sal,PM sent
Cheers,Joe

More
07 Sep 2018 08:55 #4 by OKA58
OKA58 replied the topic: XT rear diff blown
After talking with Martin and Joe I am going to have a go at repairing the diff myself. Thanks guys for all the info.
Cheers Steve

Cheers Steve and Sal

More
21 Apr 2019 08:16 #5 by OKA58
Happy Easter everyone.
Big thanks to Joe and Dean for helping sort out my blown diff.
Does anyone one know what the rear wheel bearings temp should be. Mine is running at 60-70 degrees.

Cheers and happy holidays.

Cheers Steve and Sal

More
22 Apr 2019 11:09 #6 by ABE
ABE replied the topic: XT rear diff blown
Hi Steve
Just been looking up my temps for you in my log and mine run at 28 to 37 degrees C on the front and usually 5 to 8C hotter on the rear.
However I have had them run up to 68C when it was 49C ambient temp outside and the black top was 90C and melting, I was doing fire work for DEC parks at a fire out of Norseman.
I am hoping your temps are F not C. If they are then my only question is did you pack the rear wheel bearings in grease when you remade the rear diff. If you did not then pull the axles out and remove the bearings, if they are or have a brown to black look about them you have damaged the hard facing on the bearing because it will show that they have been too hot, it is easier to pick up on the cup in preference to the cone.
If you cannot put your hand on the hubs and leave them there, then either the bearings are too tight or there is a lack of lubricant. I know from experience as I did one side right and the other side I did not grease and the result was higher temps and stuffed bearing set on the none greased side. I also rang a diff man and he said you should always pack the rear wheel bearings when you have the diff rebuilt, fine when you change the oil as the oil is still around the bearing from before.

Regards
ABE Tony

ABE Tony

More
22 Apr 2019 12:31 #7 by mort
mort replied the topic: XT rear diff blown
Hi Steve,
Tony I feel is right I say this because I have no idea what the temp is/should be but when I am on a trip I try to stop every 2hrs or so and the first thing I do is to go around the vehicle and check tyres first and at the same time check the temp of the hub but only by touch although they are warm but not hot now 60 - 70 deg seemed hot to me so just now I put on the kettle which is electronic temp so set to 60 deg when hot I could not hold my hand on for long which is much hotter than my hubs.
I guess the other way to look at it is if Sal had bare feet she wouldnt be able to use the front hub to climb up if it was 70 deg.
Martyn

More
22 Apr 2019 20:17 #8 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: XT rear diff blown
Temps are C.

I would have to look at the log book, but 60 sounds right.

Heat either via the tyres and rims, the axels, or the fluid and bearings.
But most of my logging is 40C+, so little chance of temps under 40C.

More
23 Apr 2019 09:41 #9 by OKA58
Thanks gents. I did have my brakes dragging but have fixed that problem. I think I may have over tensioned the wheel bearings. I will pull the axels and recheck. Hopefully that’s the problem. Cheers

Cheers Steve and Sal

More
24 Apr 2019 16:42 #10 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: XT rear diff blown

OKA58 wrote: Thanks gents. I did have my brakes dragging but have fixed that problem. I think I may have over tensioned the wheel bearings. I will pull the axels and recheck. Hopefully that’s the problem. Cheers

Maybe look at tyre temps as well as the pumpkin (diff centre) too.