Engineers in Vic?

• Alister McBride
  • Alister McBride's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
11 May 2019 16:49 #1 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride created the topic: Engineers in Vic?
Hi all, I'm Vic based and was keen to get this engineer in SA who has done many GVM/GCM upgrades to sign off on my OKA but having chatted to VicRoads they won't allow this. They want a Vic engineer to certify it... I don't see the difference as if i bought an oka in SA which had been engineered over there it would be fine to register in Vic and would adhere to Aus design standards etc, what a load of baloney! Anyway, it seems there are two options:
1) Ask here where people have gotten their oka's engineered by, in Vic, who were easy to deal with etc, and passed what you wanted,
2) Or, let vic rego lapse get engineered and registered for a week in SA and bring it back for rego over here.

The reason i ask is the engineer i spoke to in vic a few years back was not very obliging, where as this engineer in SA seems to have experience with oka's and seems pretty happy to sign off pretty high upgrades.

So, anyone got an easy going engineer in vic who is experienced with oka's, so it should be a pretty easy process?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2019 17:15 - 11 May 2019 17:17 #2 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Engineers in Vic?
I doubt it will be easy.
I looked at a cummins transplant, and was told that the engineering needed to be completed.
(And no clear engineering path in the nanny state)

An SA path seems like it is easier.

I suppose if Australia had a automotive manufacturing industry, then there would be a need for automotive engineers.
(I don't see things improving soon.)
Last Edit: 11 May 2019 17:17 by Holmz.

• Alister McBride
  • Away
More
11 May 2019 17:53 #3 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Engineers in Vic?
There's plenty of them about and as far as i know doesn't have much to do with the car manufacturing industry, i mean i'm an engineer who used to work for the car manufacturing industry, but i'm not certified to sign off on this stuff (Something to do with paying A LOT for certification and insurances etc).

i just want the 'right' one, one who knows oka's and is easy going... then i don't have to jump so many hoops etc ;)

More
11 May 2019 21:33 #4 by fran philipson
fran philipson replied the topic: Engineers in Vic?
Hi Alister, I used Paul's engineer when I upgraded to the 6bt and also upped the gmv on 238. No trouble as he has done a lot of them for Paul. A Enkelman and Associates ph. 0395803024, was the engineer and he is licensed for every state. He also ticked of the disc handbrake at the same time.
Cheers George
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

• Alister McBride
  • Away
More
12 May 2019 06:41 #5 by Alister McBride
ok thanks George. What gvm/gcm increase did you get and what tests did you have to do? He looks relatively close to home too, so could be helpful.

More
12 May 2019 12:57 #6 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Engineers in Vic?
Diito Fran,
I have used Enkelman and Associates ph. 0395803024 three times who were thorough and had I had no problems.
I had a lot of trouble trying to get my first certificate when EPA Vic had crazy requirements for exhaust stacks. I tried many engineers and none would certify the OKA without a stack.

Finally found Enkelman who had the only sensible workable solution.
Rick

Rick Whitworth: OKA XT 149.

More
12 May 2019 16:34 #7 by fran philipson
fran philipson replied the topic: Engineers in Vic?
Alister we got the gmv upgraded to 6 tonnes. No tests as far as I know, they just look at the engineering and passed . I also upgraded the front diff to a daner 70 at this time.

• Alister McBride
  • Away
More
12 May 2019 20:15 #8 by Alister McBride
Thanks for the feedback guys! Looks like a call to Enkelman is the way to go.

Not turning this into a thread about GVM's as that has been done, but yes, 6T is relatively easy as some came out of the factory at 6T so they don't need to test anything, just make sure your oka is up to those specs. Getting it up to 7T GVM and 9T GCM like those in SA might be a different story... I'm also doing a drivetrain update but i imagine that should be fairly straightforward. Will keep updating here :)

More
12 May 2019 21:21 #9 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Engineers in Vic?

Holmz wrote: I doubt it will be easy.
I looked at a cummins transplant, and was told that the engineering needed to be completed.
(And no clear engineering path in the nanny state)

An SA path seems like it is easier.

I suppose if Australia had a automotive manufacturing industry, then there would be a need for automotive engineers.
(I don't see things improving soon.)

Dont know about SA. But in NT, there is no Engineer involved for Cummins conversion. You first need to get approval from state transport authority. Once approval is approved and conversion completed. Then you must present vehicle to state transport authority for inspection. The inspect it, take pictures etc etc. If all good, you get a blue plate listing modifications. Vehicle is the registerable in any state.

More
12 May 2019 23:03 - 13 May 2019 07:10 #10 by Rick Whitworth
Alister,
Should clarify... my certifications were not for a 6bt swap or GVM changes, but for my progressive changes while the OKA was on the road for a couple of years.
It covered initial registration with Enkleman himself, then later to approve seating with his engineer named Jean Bo├▒neville, and finally for full Motorhome conversion with an Asian lady engineer who worked there.
After initially trying a few other companies I found them to be the best value, flexible thorough and very helpful.

Vicroads requirement for a certification by a Vic engineer is a pain and would seem to contradict Australian Standards.
All vehicles over 4.5 tons are now supposed to be in accordance with the National Heavy Vehicle Regulations
The HVNL commenced on 10 February 2014 in the ACT, NSW, Queensland, SA, Tasmania and Victoria. Each state passed a law that either adopts or duplicates the HVNL with some modifications and then a further amendment in 2018.
All gobbledegook set up so engineers can make money through the Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme ! :)
Rick

Last Edit: 13 May 2019 07:10 by Rick Whitworth.

• Alister McBride
  • Away
More
14 May 2019 17:35 #11 by Alister McBride
wow Lobo, that's a pretty cruisy process. Are they engineers that look at it or just standard desk workers? What does it take to get rego in NT, can i just be camping there for a week?! ;)

More
14 May 2019 18:51 #12 by Outback Jack

Alister McBride wrote: wow Lobo, that's a pretty cruisy process. Are they engineers that look at it or just standard desk workers? What does it take to get rego in NT, can i just be camping there for a week?! ;)

I would not call it a cruisy process. I have not used a private engineer before, but would think that would be easier. Just got to find one who doesn't look so hard if that's what you need. I had no choice on engineers, it had to be inspected at the Transport Authority.

My process meant that NT Motor Vehicle Registry compliance section has to approve in principle to the modification. Going over the drive specs etc etc. They actually contacted OKA in regards to drive train etc. Also wanting information on brakes etc etc

Once the conversion is done it is examined by Senior Inspectors of the Transport Authority. Not some desk workers. Pictures are taken of the conversion, and everything is checked out.

I think some conversions done in other States have had not the scrutiny my OKA has from the relevant state transport authority. Some or even most may had been done to a high standard. How many would volunteer scrutiny from a state transport authority.

My OKA has the relevant modifications plates and is registered with the Cummins etc

• Alister McBride
  • Away
More
14 May 2019 20:03 #13 by Alister McBride
Ahh ok, my initial interpretation of your process was of it being pretty lax... I wouldn't mind VicRoads looking over mine once complete to be honest, firstly they wouldn't know what they were looking at, and secondly, it will be done well above requirements so no need to worry (as i'm sure yours was/is!). Cheers again for the helpful replies.

More
14 May 2019 21:09 #14 by Outback Jack
I also had to produce the certificate and compliance for all welding. All welding had to be done by a certified welder.

More
14 May 2019 21:09 #15 by Outback Jack
I also had to produce the certificate and compliance for all welding. All welding had to be done by a certified welder.

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
15 May 2019 16:10 #16 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Engineers in Vic?
NSW was pretty much the same, contact the engineer and talk to him about what you want to do, as the Cummins and auto conversion was pretty much straight forward with the only welding required being the additional plate between the original Perkins engine mounts and the engine block as well as the rear transmission mount fabrication.
Any welding had to be signed off by a certified welder.
Once he had gone over the finished vehicle he then asked whether anything else needed certifying like wheels and tyres, etc etc he then filled out all the RMS paperwork on line with an upgraded weighbridge certificate.
All I had to do was visit the local RMS and pick up new rego papers with the new details on them, no cost at the RTA just the engineers fee.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
22 May 2019 19:19 #17 by Len208
Len208 replied the topic: Engineers in Vic?
I had mine upgraded from5.5 to6.0t by Chris grabowski 03 9701 8566 a great guy cost about $400.Enkerman was having a problem with vicroads i don't know if he still is, but he put me onto Chris

• Alister McBride
  • Away
More
23 May 2019 14:07 #18 by Alister McBride
Yep, after multiple calls and emails no reply from Enkelman, possibly not interested in my project or OKA's in general, not sure. Thanks Len i might try Chris Drabikowski and there's another my brother went to a while back Pete Turner who he found to be really good, will report on my success... Thanks all for your input so far! :)

More
24 May 2019 08:11 - 24 May 2019 08:15 #19 by Rick Whitworth
Enkelman has not been there for some years now, just the business name
Jean Bonneville did my seats and had a creative solution for the EPA stack problem when he was there but I see he has now gone out on his own in Bayswater.
His contact details are in the attached list

File Attachment:

File Name: VASS_signa...tion.pdf
File Size:827 KB

Sounds like it depends on who you get and process is still as rubbery as ever!!

Attachments:
Last Edit: 24 May 2019 08:15 by Rick Whitworth.