Fitting a new roof skin

More
03 Aug 2019 06:39 #21 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Fitting a new roof skin
I have dimensions off an XT if that is helpful?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2019 10:49 #22 by mort
mort replied the topic: Fitting a new roof skin
Hi Joe,
So I spoke to the owner about his roof just to confirm his answer was 20 mm no exaggeration was it 20 mm or 18 mm or 22 mm didnt measure but not 5 or 10 mm, did they shrink yes and it took them 3 w/ends it would have been easier if the ribs wern't there and would they do it again NO they would cut the wings off the side cut out excess material and weld back together, but if in the same position they would make their own. They didnt have any issues with any other panels just the roof.
Your comment of not believing anyone can shrink 20 mm over 1.8 and challenging anyone to prove it is really saying that you say they are making it up and no one is better than you well no its not made up and there is allways some one better, but I did say that after all the heating and then beating there is some ripples which could have been bogged to disguised the work like panel beaters do but they didnt.
Martyn

More
03 Aug 2019 15:57 - 03 Aug 2019 15:59 #23 by Landseer
Landseer replied the topic: Fitting a new roof skin
Hi mort, This is a couple of shots of my roof.First is What we had to do to make it fit, Second how we got it from OKA
Attachments:
Last Edit: 03 Aug 2019 15:59 by Landseer.

More
03 Aug 2019 16:42 #24 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Fitting a new roof skin
There is a panel missing under the roof to the back of the cab and that missing panel needs to go on before the roof,Landseer I have sent you a text pointing and asking you if you have the panel the back of the cab is not in straight line
Cheers,Joe

More
03 Aug 2019 17:05 #25 by Landseer
Sorry Joe I don’t know what panel you are referring to. The only panel I removed was part of the a/c. My truck looks exactly the same as yours.

More
03 Aug 2019 17:26 #26 by Joseph Baz
No,if you have a look at the photo of the cab that I sent you there is a cover panel that fits over the rear of the cab and meets the roof and that panel doesn't run in a straight line at the top and that panel is missing on the photo here and the one you have sent me ,that panel needs to go on before the roof,I will send you a few photos of other cabs on Monday for you to compare,the photo that I sent you is of a NT,I have in my phone one of an XT I will txt to you
Cheers,Joe

More
03 Aug 2019 19:18 #27 by Joseph Baz
Hi Martyn,reading previous posts before replying improves accuracy of comments
Cheers,Joe

More
04 Aug 2019 09:05 #28 by mort
Hi Landseer,
When you see the photo's it tells a sad story. So if the roof is correct where do you lose all that metal it wont matter if you start fixing at the centre or the edge and now that you have cut out all the extra metal you are left with a roof that fits but it is a 2 piece roof.
Your are lucky that you have a panel beater doing it for you how would you be doing it on your own.
good luck with the rest.
Martyn

More
04 Aug 2019 09:38 - 04 Aug 2019 09:40 #29 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Fitting a new roof skin
Landseer post the pic's so all can see,
I have lost count of the 1 piece roofs I have fitted on all 3 modle OKA;s withuot any problems.
the new roofs are stamped in A jig to get the ribs & folds
if ypu allow for ware over time, 1 or 3 mm max but 20 mm aint possable, there must be other issues as JOE said.

cheers Brett

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405
Last Edit: 04 Aug 2019 09:40 by outyonda.

More
04 Aug 2019 15:57 #30 by mort
Hi Joe,
It isnt clear where was I lacked accuracy in my post.
Martyn

More
04 Aug 2019 16:03 #31 by Landseer
Hi Brett I have posted photos, One was what I got from OKA the other is the extreme we had to go to to make it fit. The roof must be a reject that should have been scrapped not onsold. How they can come from a jig and be so badly made astonishes me.If I was to go into all its faults apart from the what I got, it was folded too short on the drivers side and far too big on the passengers side about 7 mm the fold that runs to the windscreen corner on the left was a different angle to the right hand side again about 2mm which means the roof inside is lower on the left on top of that the roof doesn’t fully cover the rear of the cab by about 7mm
Attachments:

More
04 Aug 2019 17:39 #32 by Landseer
Hi Joe, I have worked out what “PANEL” you are referring to it is actually the rear of the Cab not a removable panel. You would need an oxy set to remove it. Mine is intact as supplied by OKA.

More
04 Aug 2019 17:44 #33 by mort
Hi Landseer,
I had no idea it was that bad dont get me wrong I am not having a go at you but have you checked that the frame is square and even on both sides or does it match up with the body which is a silly question because you have a bus body so it must, your doors fit even again they must I would think.
The other one I know of was just too wide at the rear.
Does Dean know all these faults and has he offered to supply a new one at no cost I would think it would be the least he could do.
I have to hand it to you, you have kept so calm about this and even had the finger pointed at you, your vehicle and your panel beater when if what you say is correct there is no defence I personally would be steaming and let all know it.
I will get my outside measurement at the back take of mine and if Holmz could as he offered and if anyone else can just to confirm that they are all the same that will clear that one up.
Did you check how far the sides come down in relation to the coffin panel as there isnt much cover there as I am just thinking that if too wide on top should the extra material suppose to go down the side to cover the coffin panel.
Martyn

More
04 Aug 2019 17:56 #34 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Fitting a new roof skin

Landseer wrote: Hi Brett I have posted photos, One was what I got from OKA the other is the extreme we had to go to to make it fit. The roof must be a reject that should have been scrapped not onsold. How they can come from a jig and be so badly made astonishes me.If I was to go into all its faults apart from the what I got, it was folded too short on the drivers side and far too big on the passengers side about 7 mm the fold that runs to the windscreen corner on the left was a different angle to the right hand side again about 2mm which means the roof inside is lower on the left on top of that the roof doesn’t fully cover the rear of the cab by about 7mm

there is the problem, has'nt been square in the jig

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405

More
04 Aug 2019 17:56 #35 by mort
Hi Landseer,
OK I just measured the back of my roof fold to fold approx 1703 and side from fold to bottom of gutter is197 mm hope that helps to compare to yours and if all models are the same yours should be the same or similar.
Mine is an LT
Martyn

More
04 Aug 2019 18:17 #36 by Landseer
Hi Martyn, I didn’t think a simple question about my ill fitting roof would end up going on and on. No I spoke to Dean regarding this roof he just offered me advise on the fitment which I haven’t been able to achieve using he’s solution. So obviously I havent received a replacement offer but I haven’t asked either.All the doors when they were attached fitted obviously not like a Rolls Royce, but acceptable I don’t have the factory specs to compare my truck to factory but there is no obvious sign of anything amiss. I have cold fitted my RH coffin panel to mark out my larger hole for my air cleaner, the roof doesn’t go close to covering it .Should it? I have obviously had people trying hard to blame the truck and not the Elephant in the room, must have an interest in it not being the obvious. They all say they have fitted plenty and never had a problem that’s why I’m convinced that this was a reject that shouldn’t have been sold. I would love if you could send me the accurate specs for the cab dimensions and this would end all the speculation.
Regards Dennis

More
04 Aug 2019 18:28 #37 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Fitting a new roof skin

Holmz wrote: I have dimensions off an XT if that is helpful?

Yes please.

More
04 Aug 2019 18:32 #38 by Landseer
Thanks for the measurements I haven’t checked the gutter measurements but the “NEW” roof I got is 1709 so that’s 6 mm

More
04 Aug 2019 20:20 #39 by Joseph Baz
Landseer,can you please run a string line from corner to corner of the back panel and give me the dimensions from the straight line to the rise and the length of the flat surface of the very top,I have measured two XT cabs today and they are both different,I will measure a couple more and see what comes up,been scratching my head as to what the discrepancies are ,will measure some new roofs tomorrow but after today I got the funny feeling that XT weren't all the same and at the start they used to do a lot of sheet metal folding manually at home and maybe they didn't pay much attention because of the two part roof was a lot more flexible but that is pure speculation on my part but I will like to know why is there a problem,just wait patiently for a day if you can,it may even save you money at the end.
Cheers,Joe

More
04 Aug 2019 20:34 #40 by Landseer
Hi Joe Thanks for the reply, Mine is an LT but I have been informed that all models are supposed to be the same dimension. I would be happy if you could send me the dimensions that you get so I can compare to mine .I already have some measurements supplied by a couple of other owners so it would be good to see what you get. I was informed that my roof was a faulty one that was incorrectly pressed. I am waiting confirmation.
Regards Dennis.