Brake pad tensign spring.

More
15 Aug 2019 20:53 - 15 Aug 2019 20:56 #1 by OBOAT1
OBOAT1 created the topic: Brake pad tensign spring.
Anyone had the bow spring collapse causing brake/caliber to lock up? Is there an upgrade?
Last Edit: 15 Aug 2019 20:56 by OBOAT1. Reason: Wording

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
16 Aug 2019 13:42 #2 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Brake pad tensign spring.
I've not heard of them being a problem, the usual problem is the grub screw falling out and/or the caliper being so worn that it allows the wedges and spring to fall out. It might also be that the caliper is too worn or needs a thicker wedge to take up the wear.
The biggest problem I've found is that if there is lots of mud and water which then dries the calipers stop sliding and you end up wearing one pad away very quickly.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
25 Aug 2019 19:03 #3 by Nobby
Nobby replied the topic: Brake pad tensign spring.
I have had problems with 430, twice now.. Last time the bow spring escaped, and the 'key' slid into the road wheel, causing it to lock up, on the way into Jimjim Falls.. Corrugations on that road have been horrendous.. Roadside remedy was to remove wheel and caliper, then the short pigtail pipe... beat it against the road spring with the wheelbrace until flat then kink it.. and put it back.. meaning brakes on three wheels.. Make a new pipe later..
All the new 'keys' that I have seen have only 'half holes' for the retainer screw.. meaning that it is possible for them to escape..
Most of my older 'keys' on 187, have full holes.. meaning that while the screw is in place.. it cannot escape..
Dean says that the caliper bracket is probably bent.... and on a second inspection [not on the roadside] he is right..
I will however be modifying keys to have two full holes shortly.. That screw is imperial.. takes a 1/4 " allen key..
Hope this is of use,
Nobby.

More
26 Aug 2019 11:25 #4 by mort
mort replied the topic: Brake pad tensign spring.
Hi Oboat1,
This is a photo of a fix thet David Ribbins had done to his that may fix the problem.

www.oka4wd.com/media/kunena/attachments/756/Preview.jpg
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

More
26 Aug 2019 18:20 #5 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: Brake pad tensign spring.
I put a dollop of silicone on mine.

Ewart oka 365

• Away
More
27 Aug 2019 05:17 #6 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Be careful sticking anything to the caliper and mount that can stop the the caliper, shim and spring from moving easily as it causes pads to drag and wear out prematurely. I put a bit of locktite on the thread of the retaining screw and if the caliper and mount aren't excessively worn then nothing else is required except making sure the sliding surfaces are clean and not rusty of covered in dirt.
I suspect that on lots of Oka's that are now on the second lifetime after a first life of commercial use that the calipers and mounts are worn and clearance between the two is greater than it should be which in turn allows the spring to escape and once that has gone the rest follows.
374 has only done just under 200k in its total life, 2/3rds of that in the last nine years so the calipers are still tight and need a bit of jiggling to remove and install as the shims and spring need to be tapped in and out once the retaining screw has been removed. A couple of others that I've looked at over the years have been quite sloppy with vertical movement of the caliper possible even when everything is installed.
I have been told that thicker shims are available which would solve the problem correctly as they are the softest material and the designed wear point.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ewart and Vivian Halford

More
27 Aug 2019 11:38 #7 by Nobby
Nobby replied the topic: Brake pad tensign spring.
How interesting... 187 has a 'retainer' attached to the left front caliper.. fabricated from 1" X 1/8" FMS.. Right hand front does not have... but the holes are drilled and tapped in the caliper to suit one...
I have a pair of brackets coming from Dean.. as he is correct in that the bracket is bent / worn on 430.. I will also do some modification to the keepers so they will have 'full' holes for the retainer bolt..Seems the brackets come in pairs..
Thanks ..
Nobby..

More
27 Aug 2019 13:30 #8 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Brake pad tensign spring.
There are several sizes for when they get worn out

Brake Caliper Key and Spring set
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter and Sandra OKA 374, Rick Whitworth

• Away
More
28 Aug 2019 04:58 #9 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
That's a good link Lobo, explains the problem and the fix very clearly as well as explaining how to measure wear and why the caliper mounts get bent.
I've also seen the mounts worn unevenly/excessively on the outside which also gives the impression they are bent. When this happens they also need replacement.