Reverse light switch and speed sensor switch for an LT

More
09 May 2020 15:05 #1 by Landseer
Landseer created the topic: Reverse light switch and speed sensor switch for an LT
Does anybody know where I can purchase both these switches, I believe the speedo sensor is from a Commodore,not sure if this correct, Just hoping some one can direct me in the right direction.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2020 04:16 - 10 May 2020 04:18 #2 by ABE
ABE replied the topic: Reverse light switch and speed sensor switch for an LT
Can not remember if it was a VL or VN commodore for the speed sensor but the last ones I bought years ago cost $237.90 each,around 2008-09 from a holden dealer in Esperance and according to him that was the last 2 in stock in Aus and NZ. Maybe Paul has one in Melbourne. I do remember that they came off the auto gearbox. The only part number on them was
and that was on the unit as they did not come in a GMH box.

Been going through my logs that we had to keep for tour buses and can not find the reverse switch but I did see that I bought one off Robin Wade in 2006 in WA. From memory they are off cars like Jags in England and are common there, you can buy them on the internet but not here, again try the main 3 suppliers here in Australia - Robin,Paul and the Perth boys.

The Speed sensor can be rewired if you are careful as it is the heat and vibration that breaks the wire and you carefully remove the cover and the protection under that and then you can either desolder at the base or solder the wires together but if the wire is black from too much heat then replace. Some old fashion electrical people who do instrument repairs will do it, though cost could be high. With mine now I put a piece of steel from the plug at the top too the black base that screws into the box and cover the wires and both ends with silastic and that has solved the issue on mine as that stops the vibration.

Regards
ABE
Tony

ABE Tony
Last Edit: 10 May 2020 04:18 by ABE. Reason: Spelling

More
10 May 2020 09:10 #3 by Landseer
Landseer replied the topic: Reverse light switch and speed sensor switch for an LT
Thanks for your help Tony, My speedo isn’t working I haven’t gone into it fully just thought I would try and identify the parts I might need. I have worked out the reverse light switch it is from Jag or Landrover. Same switch.

More
10 May 2020 10:53 - 10 May 2020 11:03 #4 by ABE
ABE replied the topic: Reverse light switch and speed sensor switch for an LT
Lanseer

Well I am having second go at this reply. Three photos of Speed sensor.

You also could have a broken cog in the speedo unit itself as the lubricant seems to eat the cog after so many years as both of mine in OKA 1 and 2 that I own did the same thing. If the wires are intact on the speed sensor then it will be in the speedo head unit . There have been a few solutions to this as by Peter Fox and by Dean and Kaye Howells. There are some info on that is related only to the XT model which the late Dandjcr wrote in that section.

Sorry, look up this info under Forum listings and click on Speedometer Settings and Sensor.

Hopes this info will clear some of the mud away from your issue, and also if you usually head to the Forum Listings you will find most issues are already in there.
Also I did on my new sensor, place a bit of steel from the side of the black screw in section along the wires to the plug and then covered everything in silaflex to hold it in place after I had small cable ties on each end. This stops the wires breaking from wobbling around and I have not replaced since

Regards
ABE Tony

ABE Tony
Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 May 2020 11:03 by ABE. Reason: Hate spell check changes words at will changes meanings
The following user(s) said Thank You: Landseer

More
10 May 2020 14:53 #5 by Hedgie
Hedgie replied the topic: Reverse light switch and speed sensor switch for an LT
Speedo Sender - Commodore VP part No. SEN92034732 which I bought from AISAT Instruments in Perth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Landseer

More
10 May 2020 15:36 #6 by Landseer
Landseer replied the topic: Reverse light switch and speed sensor switch for an LT
I pulled the reverse switch out today I had to solder one of electrical fittings back on the switch. The odd part is it has 12 volts coming in but I can only get 3to 5 volts going out,not sure if this means the switch is faulty. It does actually work but not enough volts.

More
15 Jun 2020 20:55 #7 by Landseer
Haven’t sorted the speedo yet but fixed the reverse switch problem, purchased a New switch all good.

More
22 Jun 2020 08:39 #8 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Reverse light switch and speed sensor switch for an LT
WhT part number?
And where from?

More
22 Jun 2020 14:18 #9 by Landseer
Leyland part from a land rover. RTC 4512. Fits my LT. Was told it was also an Isuzu part not sure about that though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz