New to OKA

More
21 Jul 2020 20:57 #1 by Stevetrasky
Stevetrasky created the topic: New to OKA
Hi All, Thanks for letting me join, I am from the UK and i am going to see a 1994 OKA camper, I am really keen on it and have joined to try and get as much information as possible before seeing it. The current owner has sent me some photos and a couple of them show fluid underneath. I was hoping to get some feedback from the group. Does this look OK to you guys? Many thanks in advance.
Link below

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2020 21:00 #2 by Stevetrasky
Stevetrasky replied the topic: New to OKA
The VIN number is 6N544D3M4RA080142.

Any info you can give is much appreciated.

More
21 Jul 2020 22:21 #3 by mort
mort replied the topic: New to OKA
Hi Steve,
Welcome to the group.
reading the ebay add he hasn't exaggerated and yes easy to rebuild and parts are easy to get, rugged and go anywhere which is perfect for the wide open spaces in Australia.
Yes 1994 you could say old but the next 2 models were on the same chassis and body just a few cosmetic changes and they are going back into production soon not in big numbers and only few changers like diff, engine, g/box and dash etc.
with only 65,000 miles its hardly used some here have 500,000 klms and a few have over 1M klms and still going so if you have oil leaks its not from lots of use more like not enough use and seals have dried and aged.
your springs may have sagged hard to say without photo but the front should be higher from the photo.
if you have any photo's of the underside it would be better.
If you buy it then like all 2nd vehicles be prepared to spend some time and money on the mechanical side of things.
It may be the only one in U.K. but you are only a question on the forum away from help.

Martyn

More
21 Jul 2020 22:51 #4 by Stevetrasky
Thanks so much for that, I'm definitely hoping to get it when I see it the weekend. I love the fact that a group of mining executives decided there wasn't anything suitable so set about building their own, l like that all parts are readily available, i like how rugged they are and the fact they are unique. So definitely a lot to like. I have some underside photos at home so I will post them when I get back.

More
22 Jul 2020 00:35 #5 by Stevetrasky
Please see attached photos sent to me of the underneath. Any thoughts appreciated.

More
22 Jul 2020 07:58 - 22 Jul 2020 08:00 #6 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: New to OKA
Definitely looks like an OKA :)
Maybe a leak from the transfer case front or rear output shaft seal of the transfer case?

There are 2 OKAs in Germany I think. We saw this one in 2015 at Bad Kissingen.
Yours is build number 142, this one is build number 221, so very similar mechanically. Owner's name was Klaus. Won't be many of those in Germany :) :) :) Maybe Susi & Ruedi know how to contact him?

Best of luck.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Attachments:
Last Edit: 22 Jul 2020 08:00 by Peter_n_Margaret.

More
22 Jul 2020 12:52 #7 by Stevetrasky
Thanks Peter
A couple of people have now said probably seals and seals can be changed so no problem there. Hopefully going to Germany for a look around at some point, if we get it I’ll be sure to look up the other OKS’s.

Fingers crossed I get it.....

More
22 Jul 2020 15:27 #8 by mort
mort replied the topic: New to OKA
Hi Steve,
Its hard without seeing the vehicle in person but from the photo's he hasn't presented for sale as its not clean and looking at its best so with the oil the main one is at the uni joint by the transfer case it could be a rear seal or it could be just too much grease applied to the uni and has spun off and as there is plenty of greasable spots maybe thats all there is under the vehicle and maybe some fuel leaks by that inline filter, from the front of the engine on both sides looks like plenty of oil who knows maybe just careless when topping up engine oil, on the front drivers spring it may be again just grease from the greasable spring hanger pins but it could be the hydraulic steering box.
I personally like to keep mine clean and so after every trip I will pressure clean and degrease that way if I have any leaks or issues I can see where from.
The springs look sagged as you have about 30 mm between the top of spring and underside if rubber aeron when it should be about 80 mm front and 110 mm rear also the photo shows the shocks look pretty old and next to useless.
Check if you have any play in the slip joint of the drive shaft.
Either way all can be easily fixed or replaced and if you can do the work all the better.
You may buy the vehicle and leave it as it is or if you have been checking out the posts you will see that most owners will rebuild to suit how they want and spend good money and time as once purchased they keep for years.
Good luck
Martyn

More
22 Jul 2020 19:11 #9 by Stevetrasky
Hi Martyn

Thanks for that, it give me plenty to look at when I see it and maybe a bit of haggling room.

I had a call from Ian Ransom today and lucky for me he is in the UK and happy for me to call should I need any advice when I'm looking at it.

The OKA Community both on Facebook and here have been incredibly supportive and as I'm a total OKA newbie I can't thank you all enough.

I'll let you know how I get on once I've seen it.

All the best.

Steve.

More
22 Jul 2020 19:40 #10 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: New to OKA
Those springs look like they are almost touching the bump stops ... maybe 15-mm..
It is probably due for new springs at some point.

But the spring place in QLD is a long ways from the UK..

More
22 Jul 2020 20:27 #11 by Stevetrasky
That might give me an excuse to pop over....