Question re GCM for those who have reduced GVM to 4.5T

• Peter_n_Margaret
  • Peter_n_Margaret's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
17 Sep 2020 22:29 #1 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret created the topic: Question re GCM for those who have reduced GVM to 4.5T
When you reduced your GVM from 5.5T to 4.5T, did GCM remain the same at 7.0T?
If not what did it change to and why?
Is the answer the same for all States?
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2020 04:56 #2 by nugget
nugget replied the topic: Question re GCM for those who have reduced GVM to 4.5T
Sorry Peter, not very helpful on this one as I don't tow and don't intend to tow other than for recovery if required so I didn't worry about it. Not sure if Lang investigated it.

• Peter_n_Margaret
  • Away
More
18 Sep 2020 06:40 #3 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Question re GCM for those who have reduced GVM to 4.5T
It would have a blue plate Nugget. It would be on that if it changed.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
18 Sep 2020 14:14 #4 by Aussie Iron
Aussie Iron replied the topic: Question re GCM for those who have reduced GVM to 4.5T
I know not an Oka but when my Canter was de-rated to 4,495 Kg only the GVM was affected not the GCM. That is in Qld.

Dan.

• Peter_n_Margaret
  • Away
More
18 Sep 2020 15:05 #5 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Question re GCM for those who have reduced GVM to 4.5T
Thanks Dan. What is the GCM?
I can not see any reason why the GCM would need to change.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
19 Sep 2020 04:41 #6 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Question re GCM for those who have reduced GVM to 4.5T
It might depend on what the engineer requires for the derating.
Sometimes they make you remove some of the spring leaves to lower the carrying capacity which you would imagine would affect the GCM.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

• Peter_n_Margaret
  • Away
More
19 Sep 2020 06:41 #7 by Peter_n_Margaret
Thanks Pete. That's why I am trying to find some real life examples, but I can't see why removing leaves would reduce GCM.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
19 Sep 2020 10:33 #8 by Chalkie
Chalkie replied the topic: Question re GCM for those who have reduced GVM to 4.5T
My mod plate does not change GCM.

More
19 Sep 2020 14:14 - 19 Sep 2020 14:17 #9 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: Question re GCM for those who have reduced GVM to 4.5T
Almost certain that the GCM stays the same. My revised sub-4500kg registration had no reference to GCM changes on either blue plate or papers.

As GCM is a limitation on the structure, braking, power, drive-line strength and several other considerations, any changes to empty weight have absolutely no effect unless you have messed with suspension to get the weight down as suggested above - but why would you?

Still have to make sure your towing capacity/tow bar can use the extra say, 500kg you have pruned off the empty weight.

Lang
Last Edit: 19 Sep 2020 14:17 by Lang.

More
19 Sep 2020 14:39 #10 by Aussie Iron
Aussie Iron replied the topic: Question re GCM for those who have reduced GVM to 4.5T
Original GVM was 5,500 Kg. GCM is 7,500Kg and hasn't and doesn't change. You need to make sure that when you apply for derateing you go below the 4,500 Kg line (therefore 4,495 Kg) as at 4,500 Kg it is still listed as a truck in Qld and needs to go over the pits every year.
My belief is they sometimes make you remove spring leaves (to remove weight) to give you more buffer between Tare and New GVM.

Dan.

More
19 Sep 2020 14:57 - 19 Sep 2020 15:00 #11 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: Question re GCM for those who have reduced GVM to 4.5T
Dan

If your engineer wants you to remove springs find another engineer.

There are plenty of ways, apart from the obvious light weight structure, to prune off weight. Many have been mentioned on the forum such as alloy wheels. My man accepted the second fuel tank and water tanks above 50litres were for off-road use.

I know this leaves you open to an overweight check when tanks are full and there are a number of people wringing their hands with "What if?". I would be very interested to know if in the last 30 odd years there has ever been a derated OKA pinged for overweight while still below the original 5500kg. My guess would be zero. Another guess would be lots of OKA's running around over the 5500kg probably with the same infringement record.

Lang
Last Edit: 19 Sep 2020 15:00 by Lang.