Wheels

More
22 Jan 2021 07:59 #21 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Wheels

Dean and Kaye Howells wrote:

Holmz wrote: I am giving up on the flash looking low quality alloys, and sticking with the splits for now.

Then why not get some functional quality alloys, or do you prefer the 'sub optimal' option of driving on poor quality split rims with thin tubes in a ribbed tyre case ? Very failure prone but does have the benefit of easy tube/tyre repair :)

NS Sherlock... ;)
The topic's question was around not being able to find 16" rims that are functional and quality

Dean and Kaye Howells wrote: ...
As always optimal tyre/rim choice is dependent on what you want to do with it. For someone based in the Alice looking at touring and sand/dirt travel with a likelihood of staking tyre sidewalls I'd suggest 305/70R19.5's (35"s), pretty much the same rolling diameter as your Michelin 255/100R16's but a good 2" wider with immensely strong sidewalls to resist staking. Can be let down to sub 20 psi for sand work so as good or better 'floatation' as your Michelins, and they're tubeless so very easy to repair the odd puncture should get one. A good strong value for money option with serious off road capability :)

Yep, understand.
That is why I will run the XZLs and stop chin scratching until they are in need of replacement.

Dean and Kaye Howells wrote: ...
On the other hand there's nothing wrong with the American Racing AR 172's in 17" alloy. Will cost around AUD $4K or so for a set of six depending on tyre choice and half the weight of the 19.5's but not as tough as the 19.5's on steel rims.

There's a lot of crap out there about forged vs. cast vs. 'hybrid' alloys. IMO you'll be fine as long as you have a rated tyre/rim combo and aren't into off road racing (with a Perkins ha, ha .......) In a lifetime of off road travel in Australia I've come across a lot of vehicles that have "failed to proceed" but I've NEVER come across one with alloy rims failed due to road/track damage.

Deano :)

Understand and thanks.

Some of the allure of the XZL was that they are the same diameter as the 305x19.5 DH02 (??).
But 16" are going out of fashion compared to 17" (up to 20+, which seem like great for a show vehichle, but maybe not so great on corregations)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2021 16:49 #22 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Wheels
I am trying to find some 17 inch rims but the ratings have been less than half of the rear axle rating.
I believe the rear axle rating is 3.4 tonne but alloy rims are 1651kg. About 50kg short. Has anyone found some rims with a higher rating.
Cheers Peter

More
05 Apr 2021 16:55 #23 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Wheels

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
05 Apr 2021 17:51 #24 by Peter Davis
Thanks Peter
Does the zero offset rim miss the front ball joints? I suppose it is only 6mm difference

More
05 Apr 2021 18:03 #25 by Peter_n_Margaret
I have not purchased yet, but everything so far suggests they will be OK.
I am pretty sure that the Ian Jones 16" steel rims with 325/85R16s are also zero offset and they are OK.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
05 Apr 2021 20:03 #26 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Wheels
Peter, according to my LT Oka specs. max. rear axle load is 3275 Kg for buses and 3100 Kg for 'other'. This is for 6000 kg GVM for buses and 5500 Kg GVM for 'other'.

I chose American Racing AR1727982 17 X 9, -12 offset, Baja series. rated at 3640 lbs or 1651 Kg, the same as the method wheels mentioned above but at roughly 1/2 the price :) Both of these wheels are legal at these weights.

Deano :)

More
05 Apr 2021 20:23 #27 by Peter_n_Margaret
#196 has a GVM upgrade.
If you look at Dana publications, it seems like the same axles got different ratings from time to time.
My engineer rated the front axle at 2.8T and the rear axle a 3.8T for a combined 6.6T GVM.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
14 Feb 2022 17:06 - 14 Feb 2022 17:08 #28 by Peter Davis
Finally got rims and tyres. Rated at 4500 lb and 131Q respectively. At under 50kg a lot less than my original 19.5s.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 14 Feb 2022 17:08 by Peter Davis. Reason: forgot to insert

More
14 Feb 2022 17:12 #29 by Peter Davis
37 x 12.5R17 Method alloy and Radar Renegades R/T+

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
15 Feb 2022 03:17 #30 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Wheels
I bought the same wheels Pete, 37 x12.5R17 Yokohama AT-X fitted, they certainly give the Oka some legs on the highway, quite happy to sit on 110kph plus in 6th gear and only spinning at 1840 rpm's.
Off road they work really well and on a recent beach trip with 20 psi where some dummy locked the hubs but neglected to put it in H4 I didn't notice until driving back onto hard pack that it wasn't in 4wd!
I had driven around and over sand dunes over three days and never once noticed that it was bogging down, the beach was very soft after recent storms too.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.