Weight of Perkins Phaser 110 long motor

More
29 Jan 2021 16:16 #21 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Weight of Perkins Phaser 110 long motor
Ohhhh... lol i thought you were talking about having hotted up the 4L engine and was going to make a joke about it! I was being sarcastic about the weight considering the 4L perky was supposed to only be 250kgish (or whatever was mentioned).

OK, assumed the phaser 6 would be similar to the 6bt but yeah, that makes sense... english engineering, they had lots of spare good quality and cheap steel lying around then :) Any idea how much more power you have? or would it just be seat of the pants?

You got it done and are driving it, which is more than i can say farting around getting mine 'just right' ;) I need to pull my finger out and get that engine off the floor and into the oka!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2021 16:34 #22 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Weight of Perkins Phaser 110 long motor
More power to you Alister, doing it yourself. I am afraid I took the soft option and lifted the engine in with my cheque book......

It is not a lot faster, but my old engine, while still running perfectly had done a huge distance and was using way too much oil. That was my only reason for change - I went for the six because I was offered a brand new one that had lived in a crate for thirty years.

We seldom drive on bitumen, and the old Perky was 'adequate' for dirt roads, even sand dunes with a bit of careful aiming. That's not to say that I am not delighted with the extra power!! The cable gear change has helped too, much quicker and easier to find a gear in a hurry.

More
29 Jan 2021 18:49 #23 by Alister McBride
Agreed, it was adequate for me too... as in it was able to move the vehicle when required but it required too much effort on my behalf, especially when towing my 4.5T plant trailer.

My ears pricked up when you mentioned about a cable gear shift??? I was looking at making my own, did you purchase one? And from where? Maybe a separate topic would be good as we wouldn't want to hijack this thread...

More
30 Jan 2021 05:20 #24 by Paul Scherek
Good thinking, new topic on the way!

More
30 Jan 2021 08:44 #25 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Weight of Perkins Phaser 110 long motor

Paul Scherek wrote: Drat!! Sorry Rick, nothing else for it, we will have to go electric. Run our Okas on coal instead of diesel fuel.

Yep

..... E-OKA opportunity

The "General" has just pronounced all electric by 2035. They don't lie. Thy Will Be Done!
US market and their Asian producers responding to Europe's non negotiable enironmental pressures.
15 yrs is not long considering most OKAs are around 20-25 yrs old.
Yanks have to solve remote refuelling over large distances like us.
..aka.. how do you plug in to a cactus for a recharge on the Devils Highway or a gum tree on the Canning?

Even more remote fuelling implications for Russia, China, Canada, South America and Africa.

Where do the needs of the aviation industry fit?

How long before the diesel dinosaurs becomes extinct?

More
30 Jan 2021 08:55 - 30 Jan 2021 08:59 #26 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Weight of Perkins Phaser 110 long motor

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 30 Jan 2021 08:59 by Peter_n_Margaret.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

More
30 Jan 2021 09:58 #27 by Paul Scherek
The E-Oka, like all electric cars today, must run on coal power. Coal power produces around 30% more pollutants per kW/hour than diesel fuel. Until the whole world is pin-cushioned with wind turbines and the sun is blocked from fertile fields by solar panels, our electric cars will pollute more than diesel cars.

www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=73&t=11

Now I better bravely turn and run away!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, Rick Whitworth

More
31 Jan 2021 17:07 - 31 Jan 2021 17:24 #28 by Alister McBride
newatlas.com/automotive/scania-ditches-h...bl-DPTWuNjL7t_7M9yEk

I'm only adding to this off-topic thread but funnily enough, if you look into it, it's actually more energy efficient to run a diesel genny to charge your electric car than to run a diesel car itself. Also, once enough of the grid is renewable the whole coal argument is out of the window. And considering it's cheaper to install renewables per kW supplied now coal is dying a slow, quite economical and logical death... I think the long distance travel side is probably covered with the above article although i would love for my really powerful old dinosaur engine to keep going! Although 230Hp really doesn't mean s**t when you compare it to electric tech these days! I reckon we've got another 10 years or so of the good noise though before we're weerrrrrring everywhere... :D

I like the old stuff but it's dying... And honestly, i can't wait until i can charge my tractor off grid and use it on the farm free of charge and with VERY minimal maintenance! There are pro's and con's with everything ;)
Last Edit: 31 Jan 2021 17:24 by Alister McBride.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Scherek, Rick Whitworth