Panel Bonding

• Alister McBride
  • Alister McBride's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
01 Sep 2021 08:59 #1 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride created the topic: Panel Bonding
Hi all, what are people using to stick their body panels on with? I used Sika 252 last time and it worked well but at $35 a tube from Bunnings is pretty steep! Any alternatives? I've seen Sika 221 also but not sure if it's up to the task? Or the best place to buy the Sika? TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2021 20:07 #2 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Panel Bonding

Alister McBride wrote: Hi all, what are people using to stick their body panels on with? I used Sika 252 last time and it worked well but at $35 a tube from Bunnings is pretty steep! Any alternatives? I've seen Sika 221 also but not sure if it's up to the task? Or the best place to buy the Sika? TIA

From my April 2018 post…

“Talked to Sika Au, and they recommended... "Sika primer" and "Stia activator G+P" followed with "Sika 252" with a 4-mm bond thickness.“

• Alister McBride
  • Alister McBride's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
02 Sep 2021 06:36 #3 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Panel Bonding
Thanks Holmz, at the strength ratings we're talking about with these products i think good surface prep is essential!

To pass on to the group here and to have a permanent record, i had the following responses to my question on the facebook groups:

- So far I have found Bunnings about the best price for them and the best range. If you have a trade card (just need an abn) you save another 5% or so.
I think I have used the 221 and 227 for some things. I figured the Body fixing one the best for panels, but think it is the dearer option. - Ps I think I have been using 227 for interior sealing, but not panels. 221 is more a construction one but you might be right about 252 being the superior high strength. I usually refer the the example image on the labels when buying it.

- Terason 989. Adhesive sealer - ABC adhesives sell at a good price, I buy by the box. $ 21.00 per sausage. Priced here at a hardware shop was $ 48.00 per.

- If you are using a lot look at getting the sausages from an industrial outlet.

- I am using Soudal T-Rex Power Fast Grab SMX Polymer Adhesive 320Kg/10cm2. Paying around $10 Tube - Used Trex on my camper trailer rebuild with great success Using it now on the coffin panels Permanently flexible I found it at a local sand and metal place, order it by the box of 6 in black.

- Bostic seal and flex works for me . Regardless of what you use rough up the face your trying to adhere to with a scotch brite .

- (re finding a well priced supplier) - Try floor sanding supplies down there / I buy it buy the box off them up here @floorsanderstrade

- I use Fixtech, from the marine industry

So far, my pick is the T-Rex Fast Grab based on specs. It's a little bit stronger than Sika 252 and a tiny bit less flexible but at a third the price seems the way to go for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
02 Sep 2021 07:55 #4 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Panel Bonding

Alister McBride wrote: Thanks Holmz, at the strength ratings we're talking about with these products i think good surface prep is essential! me.

To pass on to the group here and to have a permanent record, i had the following responses to my question on the facebook groups:

I used the forum’s search feature as it is a permanent record.
I do not know how to search FB.

Bunnings usually has the Sika on sale once in a while. Usually when the stuff if about out of date.
I also chuck em in a beer fridge.
And the primer they often do not have, and need to order in, so some planning pays off.

3M also makes a strong one, but you cannot cheese wire it off, it is pretty permanent.
At least the Sika gear gear can be removed with some work and not destroy the panel.

It is probably more like shoe laces, where the colour of the laces does not affect the shoe staying on… so I doubt it matters much what one uses if the intent to keep it on.

The Sika technical fellow said that the main problem is people often do not have enough applied, and it needs to have enough depth to allow some flex as the panels expand and contract… so not just a thin layer of vegemite thickness.

More
02 Sep 2021 07:55 - 02 Sep 2021 07:58 #5 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Panel Bonding
I built #196 using Sikaflex 252 (plus the surface preps) for all the most structural sandwich panel joins,16 years ago.
Despite its use and a major prang, not a single glued joint has failed in that time.

I have just purchased the panels from Vanglass to build #077. They use another adhesive and I have some on the way @ $20 per sausage. When they arrive, I will post the details.
I did a bit of messing with a TRex fast grab and found that its surface adhesion was relatively poor compared with Sikaflex.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 02 Sep 2021 07:58 by Peter_n_Margaret.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alister McBride, Holmz

More
06 Sep 2021 13:13 - 06 Sep 2021 13:16 #6 by mort
mort replied the topic: Panel Bonding
Hi Alister,
I used a product from here silicone.com.au/ they are in Melb and make a range of products.
When I rebuilt the back all panels were glued with their auto body adhesive which was 5 yr ago no screws, rivets etc and nothing has come loose.
I think I paid about $14 per tube per box so at that price I made sure I used enough to have full coverage dot just a thin bead.
Be careful because it grabs and and if you want to move the sheet it is hard to let go.

Martyn
Last Edit: 06 Sep 2021 13:16 by mort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alister McBride

More
06 Sep 2021 15:06 #7 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Panel Bonding

Peter_n_Margaret wrote: I have just purchased the panels from Vanglass to build #077. They use another adhesive and I have some on the way @ $20 per sausage. When they arrive, I will post the details.

Wurth Bond + Seal.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alister McBride