Bus body folding step failure

More
31 Jul 2022 09:49 #1 by Daktari
Daktari created the topic: Bus body folding step failure
Hello fellow Oka owners ... i'm looking for some advice regarding fixing the original folding step mechanism which has just decided to fail. I am sure there exists a thread within this forum in which I can glean some gems of wisdom but alas I have not been able to find it so far through using the 'search' function. If anyone can point me in the right direction within the site I would appreciate it...as i'm confident that this is not the first step failure to be discussed. Otherwise, some collective troubleshooting based on my 'symptoms' would also be valuable. I'll wait to see first if I can find an existing thread before wasting everyone's time covering ground that has already been covered ;-)
Thanks. Bruce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2022 11:15 #2 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Bus body folding step failure
Howdy Bruce,

Probably need more info..........

What is failing?????

Does it seem like electrical or mechanical??

They are not that complicated set up really, however a lot of people have changed them from automatic to manual. They tend have some failures etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daktari

More
01 Aug 2022 11:35 #3 by Daktari
Daktari replied the topic: Bus body folding step failure
Thanks for the reply :-) Symptoms...
- compressor running
- no sound of blown hose
- pressure evident on guage
- can hear solenoid switching as per normal to indicate door closing / door opening switch is operational
- step in lowered position ... resistance to me lifting it (like the ram has air pushing it out)
... so I switched off the compressor, drained the air tank, and strapped up the step for transport ;-)

So... not sure if this is an electrical switching issue or if the ram has failed...

Have already considered that if it's not an easy fix, I may just remove the air operated system for the step and replace it with an electric ram and a manual switch ...

More
02 Aug 2022 05:23 #4 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Bus body folding step failure
Sounds like either the air solenoid has failed and is locked on or the relay controlling the solenoid has failed.
From memory as I went fully manual 12 years ago, undo overcentre catch and lower step by hand and the reverse to put it up.
The ram is operated in both directions, one for step down and the reverse for step up.
I think there was a relay to operate the appropriate solenoid for each operation, can't remember whether it was one single changeover relay or two seperate relays.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daktari