Exhaust jack

• Greg 210 and Dean 366
  • Greg 210 and Dean 366's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 Dec 2012 16:33 #1 by Greg 210 and Dean 366
Greg 210 and Dean 366 created the topic: Exhaust jack
Has anybody had experience with exhaust jacks and Oka's and with what sort of results

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2012 10:14 #2 by Hal Harvey
Hal Harvey replied the topic: Exhaust jack
There's a topic in the archives called "Hi-Lift Jack and Exhaust Jack" that goes right back to the original website of a decade ago. It ended up being almost exclusively about Hi-Lift jacks, but there were these comments on exhaust jacks:

Peter_n_Margaret: Neither are much use. Front is OK for a highlift, but most vehicles are unsuitable at the rear. In any case, many vehicles are too heavy if loaded too. Same applies to exhaust jacks. The underside of the OKA is simply unsuitable. We (and many others) go for a two-stage hydraulic jack & wood baseplate.

David Ribbans: You definitely need some way of lifting a heavy Oka right off the ground (if you need to remove a spring for example). Exhaust jacks are no good, they need a smooth under surface which the Oka does not have, and are dangerous if you need to get under the vehicle.

And I then later I posed the question What about one of these? - which is a link to the Matjack low pressure air bag that will lift 5.8tonnes, and there are bigger versions available. Nobody responded but I'm not convinced they're of no use - looks like they can be filled from a compressor rather than from exhaust, and I reckon off-road I've seen plenty of scenarios when they would be much safer than a mechanical or hydraulic jack. You need a baseplate for those jacks - nothing to stop you using it as a top plate for an air bag jack.

Principal advisor to the Minister for Tourism, Liza Harvey MLA
... OKA 260 ... "I'm not leaving any sooner than I have to!"
www.byles.net/OLDportal/members-vehicles-public/5-oka-260
Attachments:

More
12 Dec 2012 10:35 #3 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Exhaust jack
Matjacks might work OK??

Claytons towing.

Maybe we should arrange a group buy????

I think the Matjacks maybe a superior product than exhaust bags. However not seing a Matjack in the flesh this is an un qualified opinion. They are used in the UK with emergency services.

More
12 Dec 2012 14:29 #4 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Exhaust jack
They definitely DO work.

40 years ago I bogged a Range Rover to the sills out west and it would still be there but for the bullbag.
40 years later, I've used it (the same bullbag) several times to lift the suzuki up out of the sand.

As for the OKA - far more weight to lift and would need to lift a lot higher. The standard one might help if you could get it under the axle, but you would need a larger model to actually lift one end. Under the rear spare tyre would be good places to try, but elsewhere would have to figure out whether trying to lift a couple of tonnes using that part of the vehicle is going to cause more damage than it is worth.

Any bolts sticking down would result in punctures and it doesn't take much of a hole to make it useless.

More
12 Dec 2012 16:01 #5 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: Exhaust jack
I have a large one I got with A magazine subscription, I put it under the bull bar and by the time it was fully extended it had just started to take the bulge out of the tyres and it would be very unstable, you may have to chain the axle up to get the wheels to lift.

Ewart oka 365

More
16 Dec 2012 03:23 #6 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Exhaust jack
Like Tony I've seen them used with success on smaller vehicles and have also seen what happens when the bag is punctured and deflates quickly, not a pretty sight!
The thought of having 5 1/2 tonnes on one doesn't bear thinking about. Might be ok for emergency use when there are lots of people around etc but for single person use on an Oka there are safer alternatives.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.