starting issues.

More
14 Jan 2013 20:01 #1 by mannixx
mannixx created the topic: starting issues.
hoping someone out there can help me. Lt 420 wont start with the ignitoin key.
i hope someone else has come across the same problem.
this problem only started sat arvo. (12th jan)
have tried/tested the following:
i can short from start lug to power on starter motor & it will start, (so starters fine)
not a voltage issue, have 13.3vt (drivers) & 12.87vt (pass) battery.
have had starter motor out, cleaned contacts, tested & replaced.(seems ok)
contact cleaned ignition switch & tests ok.
seperated & cleaned all connectors in fuse panel behind pass seat
removed, cleaned & replaced fuse blocks, fuses & relays in both fuse areas (dash & behind pass)
swapping 4 pin 30A relays in 6 different combinations. (tried new 4x 40A 4 pin relays these did not work)
ensured good earth on fuse panel & buzz bar fuses etc.
cleaned & tightened body to chassis earth strap.
my next step is rewire with a new push button start system.
i'm just about at my whit's end, any ideas please ? no matter how small or silly.

cheers stef.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2013 21:05 #2 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: starting issues.
On 374 the little wire that activated the starter solenoid down on the starter had a connector up near the engine block where it left the harness, had the same symptoms a couple of times before I found it.
Is everything powering up on the dash when you turn the key to the run position?
I had a similar problem when I initially fitted the auto trans, everything worked but the starter, some dickhead (there was only one working on the job ;-)))left one of the battery cables off the starter!!
With the key in the start position you should have power on the little wire to the solenoid, if you don't then it is a problem between ignition switch and the solenoid. You or the PO didn't fit a kill switch?

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mannixx

More
14 Jan 2013 22:11 - 14 Jan 2013 22:40 #3 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: starting issues.
Mannixx, from what you've said I'm not sure if your checked the starter solenoid on the starter motor. Either the solenoid has failed or more likely, as Peter says, the wiring from the ignition switch to the solenoid has failed somewhere. We had similar trouble (in our XT) which was caused by the wiring and connectors running along the chassis on the drivers side down from the dashboard and up to the starter and dual battery controls.

If you haven't checked the starter solenoid, measure the voltage on its connection (it will be a thinnish wire, my red wire below) while the key turned, or briefly touch a wire from the battery positive to this solenoid connection and it should engage the motor.

If the solenoid's OK, and you can't find the wiring fault, run a separate wire from the solenoid up to the Start Signal on the ignition switch connector (white and red wire on mine). See my comments in this earlier post on a dashboard connector problem, there's some wiring info there, can't be much different on an LT. It could be a faulty ignition switch but that's unlikely.

If you have a dual/dedicated battery system fitted, there is an additional start relay fitted on the dual battery control panel behind the drivers seat which could be causing trouble (in yellow in this pic). It's in series from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid but I can't see the logic for it.

To check the relay (and the wiring and it's plug base) means removing the panel. Disconnect all batteries before doing that as you can easily short things out while removing it. It's the black relay which I have replaced before. Its terminals can get corroded or dirty since it's outside the cab environment and exposed to water and dust.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 14 Jan 2013 22:40 by dandjcr.

More
15 Jan 2013 05:54 #4 by Chris James
Chris James replied the topic: starting issues.
Mannixx,check the square,pale green fuses on the side of the chassis rail below the injecter pump.We had dirt in ours once and the key would not start the truck.A quick clean and it was all good. Chris #96

Chris & Shirley 096

More
15 Jan 2013 14:26 #5 by Chrisj
Chrisj replied the topic: starting issues.
Hi, Go with Dandjcr suggestion. also I would use a multi meter and check the voltage at the solenoid (small wire) whilst trying to start the motor if you have good voltage then look at the replacing the solenoid, if still no joy then connect a wire direct to the battery positive and touch it against the small wire terminal on the solenoid if motor starts then you have fault in ignition wiring, if starter still fails to start then replace starter solenoid.

Hope that helps

Chaos, Panic, Disorder - My work is done here.

More
16 Jan 2013 14:47 #6 by mannixx
mannixx replied the topic: starting issues.
big thank you to all for your posts. also thanks to oka pete & paul nott.
issue resolved.
cause: intermittent fault on starter solenoid & decayed exciter wire just below where it joined the loom above the starter.
remedy: fix wire & replace old starter (toyota style) with new iskra.