Wheel seal leaking

More
04 Mar 2013 14:21 #1 by Cando
Cando created the topic: Wheel seal leaking
Well, 112 has completed its maiden journey from Darwin to SA. we are at Kadina at the inlaws for some repairs prior to heading to Tassie.
On the trip down we did a rear axial seal ( I think), a seal at the handbrake and the pulley that holds the fan on. I'm about to undo the rear axial to find the leak, i assume it's just like a Toyota? Then the seal which I assume is behind the hand brake shoes. The fan pulley il try and do without as i have electric fans. Hopefully I can find a smaller fan belt and itl be done.

Cando
XLT-112

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2013 14:51 - 04 Mar 2013 14:52 #2 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Wheel seal leaking
Rear wheel seal is not that bad to fit, one on the transfer is a little harder, you have to pull hand brake etc apart. I replaced mine when I was doing the rebuild. Found out it wasnt that bad, it was a plate on the transfer that was leaking. Passenger side, so check that first.

Seals are easily enough to get at CBC etc. Or even OKA

Someone may have done the fan bearing before.
Last Edit: 04 Mar 2013 14:52 by Outback Jack.

More
04 Mar 2013 14:55 - 04 Mar 2013 15:06 #3 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Wheel seal leaking
Cando, if you have oil running down the rear disks and on to the inside of the tyre, your oil seal on the back of the hub is leaking.

The only real solution is to remove the hub since the seal is pressed into the rear of the hub. It's not a quick job, you'll need to remove the brake calliper, undo the wheel bearing spindle nuts and withdraw the hub to get at the seal. It's an easier job in a workshop but I've done it in caravan parks. You'll need a spare seal obviously and a puller/lever to remove the old one. If the leak gets too bad it will soak the brake pads in oil which affects their effectiveness.

Oil from the handbrake area is not good news since it probably means the seal on the output shaft of the transfer case is leaking, there's no other source of oil in that area (check the side plate first as OJB says). If it's not too bad you can carry on, checking the transfer case oil level regularly, because replacing it is not easy away from home base. You'd need to disconnect the rear drive shaft, remove the handbrake drum and then the output flange nut with a rattle gun. I think the seal (item 17) is in the front of the adaptor plate bolted to the transfer case but I haven't done mine yet.

Sorry to be bearer of bad tidings but it's only on runs like you're doing that you can find these problems, we've been through the same troubles. However, neither problem is critical, just annoying.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 04 Mar 2013 15:06 by dandjcr.

More
04 Mar 2013 15:06 #4 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Wheel seal leaking
Cheers David for explaining it a little better. I think you have some pictures of you doing the rear seal.

Since having my stroke, sometimes memory is not the best. However I thought the rear diff seal wasnt that painfull and relative easy.

The hand brake is how you described, however the transfer case has a plate on the passenger side, I found this to be the culprit. Made a seal for that and also replaced the rear output seal.

More
04 Mar 2013 15:20 - 04 Mar 2013 15:24 #5 by dandjcr
Thanks OBJ, you reminded me that a leak from the rear can also be brake fluid from the calliper. The effect would be the same but more difficult to rectify.

And I forgot, on the rear you also have to withdraw the axle shaft to remove the hub.

This is from your old stomping ground, Manbulloo near Katherine.

A front hub seal (looks the same as the rear).

Oka148 profile here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 04 Mar 2013 15:24 by dandjcr.

More
04 Mar 2013 18:20 #6 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Wheel seal leaking
Cando,OKA's are slightly different than a Land cruiser,The cruiser have a seal at the end of the rear diff housing and the hubs are grease packed while the Oka's rely on the diff oil for lubrication and the critical factor specially with vehicles of high mileage is to have a really good surface for the hub seal to run on,if the spindle area of the housing is worn you may have to fit a Speedisleeve.
Cheers,Joe

More
05 Mar 2013 21:39 #7 by Cando
Cando replied the topic: Wheel seal leaking
Thanks all.
Had a lay day today. Will tackle it tomorrow. Not having the rattle gun with me is going to make it that little bit more interesting.
Will let u know how it goes.
Would put some pics up but only have the iPad.

Cando
XLT-112

More
06 Mar 2013 07:16 #8 by dandjcr
Cando, unless the oil is pouring out, I would leave the TC leak for now, just check the level occasionally. Check that the rear flange (ie the handbrake drum which bolts to it) is not loose. It could be the flange nut has worked loose (slight chance).

Oka148 profile here.