Speedo compatibility between LT and XT

More
03 Apr 2013 15:46 - 07 May 2013 21:44 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Dog Chain Creek Gibb River Road
One of the causes of slipping out of 4WD. The 4WD poppet spring is more compressed than the H/L range selector spring, probably gets more work.

Not easy to get at on a bus model though.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 07 May 2013 21:44 by dandjcr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2013 17:16 #2 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Dog Chain Creek Gibb River Road
Wouldve been easy when I had the body off.......

More
04 Apr 2013 16:53 #3 by The Worb
The Worb replied the topic: Dog Chain Creek Gibb River Road
Hi OBJ

I like the red, it seems to suit the OKA. If I every paint 351 I will give it a look.

What size and type tyres are you running. I am in about 3 minds what to do.

Good 16" on the standard rims or change to Eagle Alloys which allow a bigger choice of tyre.

Good one, I wish I was close to tracks like this.

The Worb
Dubbo NSW

More
04 Apr 2013 17:05 #4 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Dog Chain Creek Gibb River Road
Current tyres are 255/100r16.

I am the same, I am considering 16 inch Eagle Alloy as well, and they was very popular. However I think now days there are other options in 17 inch etc etc.

More
20 Apr 2013 07:10 #5 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Speedo compatibility between LT and XT
I am fitting an NP205 to my LT.
Previously the wires that went originally to the Rockwell TC were just hooked straight to the sender on the replacement Nissan TC and it worked perfectly. Didn't seen to matter which way around they were either.
My NP205 has a speedo drive in it but I think this may be a minefield so I have decided to setup like the XT

Q. I have orderered the correct XT sensor from info in a post put up previously, but I am now wondering if it will be compatible with the LT speedo, anyone done this? Is the LT speedo the same? And is there any polarity with the wire hookup?

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0

More
20 Apr 2013 07:56 #6 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Speedo compatibility between LT and XT
Same Speedo. I have run a LT speedo in my XT and have just changed over to a new VDO back Lit Speedo which also worked well with the XT Sensor

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: PeteFox

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
20 Apr 2013 09:47 #7 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Speedo compatibility between LT and XT
That's interesting re the Nissan sensor working the LT speedo direct, I hooked it up to the Compushift controller for the 4L80E and it didn't compute at all, didn't try hooking it direct to the speedo though as the trans controller runs the auto and then puts the speedo signnal out to the speedo.
In the end I just used the TOSS output from the auto to provide the signal which works well.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
21 Apr 2013 10:42 #8 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Speedo compatibility between LT and XT

PeteFox wrote: And is there any polarity with the wire hookup?

Pete, yes there is, although the Turck sensor is supposedly polarity and overload protected.

First confirm that you ordered the AN6X sensor not the AP6X (I made an error in transcribing the part number from the old website, now corrected).

If you're in doubt over the wiring, here are the sensor connections. I suggest you check the +12v and ground on the wires from the speedo, with the ignition on, before connecting the sensor. The voltage on the signal input from the speedo can be anywhere in between.

For a Turck BI8U-M18-AN6X, the sensor wires are:

Brown (BN) wire is +12v
Blue (BU) wire is Ground
Black (BK) wire is the pulse signal to the speedo (the Load is internal to the speedo).

Oka148 profile here.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PeteFox

More
21 Apr 2013 13:05 #9 by PeteFox

dandjcr wrote:

PeteFox wrote: And is there any polarity with the wire hookup?

First confirm that you ordered the AN6X sensor not the AP6X (I made an error in transcribing the part number from the old website, now corrected).

Whoops!

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
21 Apr 2013 14:57 #10 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Speedo compatibility between LT and XT
Pete, no need to panic, I believe the AP6X can be used although I haven't tried it myself, I worked this out to assist another Oka owner but I don't have the results yet.

If you're electrically minded you might follow my logic.

A VDO speedo can handle several types of sensor on its input pin. The main criteria is that the input voltage pulse should pass by it's sensing voltage and back, which I assume is around 6v. It doesn't matter if it starts high and goes low or vice versa.

Refer to the graphic below.

In the AN6X, the signal output is normally high, the output transistor is off and the output voltage is pulled up to +12v by an internal load in the speedo. The output pulses low (the transistor turns on) when the proximity detector senses a metal object passing by (the tangs on the handbrake drum in the case of an XT).

In an AP6X, the opposite occurs, the signal output is normally low, the output transistor (different type) is also off and the output should be pulled low by a load to ground. The output pulses high (the transistor turns on) when the proximity detector senses a metal object passing by.

Both ways should work fine, the unknown is that there isn't an obvious load to ground for the AP6X circuit in the VDO speedo. Depending on the speedos's internal circuitry, it might have a load to ground (or something which pulls the input signal low) built in anyway. But if not an external resistor load should do the trick.

So unless you can easily and cheaply exchange the AP6X for an AN6X, I should give this option a whirl. The wiring is identical so try it without the resistor first, it might work. If you try this the internal load connection on the back of the speedo (if any) should be removed.

Oka148 profile here.
Attachments:

More
03 May 2013 05:42 - 03 May 2013 05:43 #11 by PeteFox

dandjcr wrote: Pete, no need to panic, I believe the AP6X can be used although I haven't tried it myself, I worked this out to assist another Oka owner but I don't have the results yet.

If you're electrically minded you might follow my logic.

So unless you can easily and cheaply exchange the AP6X for an AN6X, I should give this option a whirl. The wiring is identical so try it without the resistor first, it might work. If you try this the internal load connection on the back of the speedo (if any) should be removed.

Dave, thanks for the info, but I can deal with simple DC circuits but once you mention resistors then my brain's resistor kicks in.
The simple way out was to source the correct one . Bought out of the US for $28, too cheap to bother messing around.
The "AP6" had no cable but a 4 pin socket, all too hard.

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab

Last Edit: 03 May 2013 05:43 by PeteFox.