Shock Absorbers

More
18 Jun 2013 10:53 #2 by Chalkie
Chalkie replied the topic: Shock Absorbers
317 has been running Tough Dogs for the last seven years. Still good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2013 11:37 #3 by Adventurer
Adventurer replied the topic: Shock Absorbers
Thanks

Are they ex USA or available here?

• Dean and Kaye Howells
  • Away
More
18 Jun 2013 16:24 #4 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Shock Absorbers
The original Monroes are quite good and rarely fail (except for the rubbers). The OKA has very long springs which act as a damper as do the Aeon rubbers so the shockers have a relatively easy life particularly when compared to a coil sprung vehicle where the springs give no dampening effect at all.
Unless you have a known issue with your shocks they may be OK. What is more common on OKA's is for the springs to soften and sag with age and the horrible erkot fibrous bushes to fail.

Deano :)

More
18 Jun 2013 17:12 #5 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Shock Absorbers
Rainer, Tough Dogs are available in Oz from 4WD1.com , but are very big and expensive.

I find they are not long enough and often and bang on bouncy tracks when they reach their ends stops and the front axle is suddenly pulled upwards. Probably the cause of a shock absorber mount failure.

Next time I'll probably return to Munroes and double them up as necessary.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
18 Jun 2013 18:04 #6 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Shock Absorbers
horrible erkot fibrous bushes ????

Where are these?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hal Harvey

More
18 Jun 2013 20:47 #7 by Frank
Frank replied the topic: Shock Absorbers
On 164 they were in the chassis mount of the hanger (and maybe in the rear eye of the spring too). The front eye bushes on 164 were a bi-metal arrangement, as were the new ones that went in everywhere when I changed to 1" pins.

Frank & Christine Thomas

More
18 Jun 2013 21:47 #8 by Adventurer
Thanks for the info

More
18 Jun 2013 23:37 #9 by Hal Harvey
Hal Harvey replied the topic: Shock Absorbers
Rainer, have a look at this topic begun a few years ago too, for more information...

www.oka4wd.com/september-2012/15-shock-a...s-recommendations#19

Principal advisor to the Minister for Tourism, Liza Harvey MLA
... OKA 260 ... "I'm not leaving any sooner than I have to!"
www.byles.net/OLDportal/members-vehicles-public/5-oka-260

More
19 Jun 2013 06:41 #10 by Adventurer
Thanks Hal

More
20 Jun 2013 20:53 #11 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Shock Absorbers
I had one original shock develop a very slight leak so replaced them all with the same brand and type simply because there was no reason to go for anything (supposedly) better.

5.7 tonnes and only one shock on each corner. Any time I check how warm they are getting - and I do it quite often on roads like Gunbarrel and CSR - they are never more than warm which indicates to me that the combination of lowering tyre pressure and slowing down is probably more important than fitting exotic shocks and driving to the max.

More
20 Jun 2013 21:12 #12 by Adventurer
Tony
Being new to the OKA geometry of the suspension I questioned weather the travel on the shocks would generate excessive heat and premature wear on tracks such as CSR. I have traveled extensively in land cruisers all over the country and on several occasions suffered failed shocks from fatigue. I am preparing for several trips as a support vehicle for rally and safari events and just want to ensure we do not become the vehicle needing supporting
Rainer

More
21 Jun 2013 01:31 - 21 Jun 2013 01:39 #13 by Tony Lee
Two main approaches to the CSR - the one used by the Merc 4WD team that were going to be the first factory team to conquer the CSR - and a variant used by two high-end 4WDs towing high-end Kimberly Campers equipped with RACING SHOCKS, as they bragged when I suggested (as they asked us to get off the road so they could get past) their method of avoiding corrugations by only touching down on every tenth peak would bring them unstuck, but that I would be happy to tootle along behind picking up the pieces. We caught them up the next day at well 33 and relaxed watching one of them spend hours and several hacksaw blades making up brackets to hold their rig together. (I must admit to forgetting about all the tools I carried which would have made their all-day job somewhat shorter. Must have been due to the excitement of wondering how many strokes of the hackesaw he would get before that characteristic twang and a hearty curse)

The other method is to be the one who tootles along in a 20 year old vehicle at a steady speed and gets over every dune (on the CSR at least) without a run-up or stopping and without a factory support team or media pack and without a breakdown.

Your problem will be to resist the urge imposed by being surrounded by hoards of "hoons" who are either not paying the bills themselves, or who have enough resources to be easily able to afford them. Having to keep to any sort of timetable will probably make it a lot harder. The other big problem will be driving a vehicle that really has nothing to prove, but which would be seen as having a reputation to maintain. If you have to drive hard and fast then I imagine the only way to avoid problems is either to throw a lot of money into buying the best shocks available and/or carry a few spare ones.

Official advice for getting over the CSR in one piece is to let the tyres down and drive to conditions and carry spare shocks, none of which the Mercedes team heeded.

Did you read the advice on the Beadell Tour company site regarding tyres and shocks
Last Edit: 21 Jun 2013 01:39 by Tony Lee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TH

More
17 Mar 2018 11:34 #14 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Shock Absorbers

Tony Lee wrote: Two main approaches to the CSR - the one used by the Merc 4WD team that were going to be the first factory team to conquer the CSR - and a variant used by two high-end 4WDs towing high-end Kimberly Campers equipped with RACING SHOCKS, as they bragged when I suggested (as they asked us to get off the road so they could get past) their method of avoiding corrugations by only touching down on every tenth peak would bring them unstuck, but that I would be happy to tootle along behind picking up the pieces...
Did you read the advice on the Beadell Tour company site regarding tyres and shocks

Tony,
Can you quantify your speed and the Merc speeds?
Running on the Great central, it seemed like it was happy at ~90kph, but in maybe 3-4" high correlations there was encouragement to slow down to 60kph.
Basically how does one determine what speed to travel? ( shakes like a dog at 10-30+ thenseems better at 50+... how do I (does one) make a determination?

Interestingly the red dust seemed to be worse, and the white patches smoother. Also the direction of travel seemed to make a difference on the corregations. I am not sure if that was due to the road being closed on the western end side side for a while, so maybe the delivery trucks were less loaded on the way back towards Yulara? Or maybe more west-to-east traffic?
I dunno... what would cause it?

More
17 Mar 2018 15:34 #15 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Shock Absorbers
When I bought mine about 14 years ago it came with Koni shocks. Last year I took them off and had them tested at Koni. 2 out of 8 were sad which were made into 1 good one and I purchased a new one. Not bad for all those years and corregations.
Expensive initially but over a long time works out reasonably.
Peter

More
17 Mar 2018 20:20 #16 by Holmz

Peter Davis wrote: When I bought mine about 14 years ago it came with Koni shocks. Last year I took them off and had them tested at Koni. 2 out of 8 were sad which were made into 1 good one and I purchased a new one. Not bad for all those years and corregations.
Expensive initially but over a long time works out reasonably.
Peter

What's-the-model-#?
Where-didja-getum?

Is that better than getting Monroes every few years?
Or...
Is the ride better in some way?

More
18 Mar 2018 04:51 - 18 Mar 2018 05:44 #17 by Tony Lee
Merc speeds on the CSR - no idea, but given a ego of drivers with expensive vehicles backed up by a full support team trying to prove that Mercs were going to conquer not only the world but the CSR as well, you could easily imagine that slowing down wasn't part of their driving instructions. It was pretty well publicised at the time so bound to be plenty of info available to a google search. I'd say their average start to finish speeds might have been less than ours so a classic tale of tortoise and hare. Not sure how anyone manages to abuse shock absorbers to the point where they literally break in halves.
You will find journalistic gems such as

It’s a pretty audacious task: pitting a bunch of brand-new, unmodified vehicles against probably the most gruelling off-road track in Australia, and one of the toughest in the world: the Canning Stock Route.

Funny that Betty and I really enjoyed the trip to the extent that we will probably do it again. Guess the text should have read something more like it being crazy to let a team of inexperienced dickheads loose on the CSR without giving them some clues first..

Between Wells 25 and 26 are some of the biggest sand dunes on the track, and while not up to Simpson Desert standards, they still require plenty of revs and locked centre and rear diffs before blasting over the top.

You can see a movie at mr4x4.com.au/remember-mercedes-benz-took-canning-stock-route/ that details their stupidity. 20 grand aircraft charter to get more spares, technicians to fix their mistakes, vehicles driving at speed 20 metres apart etc etc. At around 2 minutes they are showing off driving at 60kmph on corrugations

Our speeds?? Obviously slow enough that our standard OEM shocks survived without breaking into a sweat. Pretty much every time we stopped for coffee, I felt the shock absorber and they were always barely warm. I figured that was as good an indication as any. The other problem with driving the tops of the corrugations is the CSR has very little straight track so going around corners on the tops of corrugations wasn't very safe or smart.
Last Edit: 18 Mar 2018 05:44 by Tony Lee.

More
30 Jul 2018 10:44 #18 by Holmz
With respect to the dual shock tower and dual leaf shack shock/damper mounts...

Does anyone have the flange to flange distance between the damper mounting points?
(I am estimating ~6-3/4" ~170-mm - but a good dimension would be better to know)

I am talking about an XT - but an LT should be the same??

More
07 Aug 2018 13:31 #19 by mort
mort replied the topic: Shock Absorbers
Hi Holmz,
I will get you the info with photo in the comming days.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
07 Aug 2018 21:05 #20 by Holmz

mort wrote: Hi Holmz,
I will get you the info with photo in the comming days.
Martyn

On a totally related note...
I have read that the OKA is good on dampers as the springs do some damping. But I am not sure if that is compression, rebound, or both ways.
And I have also read that dual dampers are worthwhile, and that they may over dampen.
And also that the monroes last a long time.

Should I put much stock I the idea of dual dampers?
Or is it more about tyre pressure for smoothness on corragations?
Should I be considering twins or singles? Or mixed?

(~2.5t on the front, and about 2t on the rear axel.)

More
26 Aug 2018 10:08 #21 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Shock Absorbers
Hi Holmz, i originally had single front shocks and thought it wise to go double fronts shocks (i already had dual rears), one reason i did this is that there is a common problem with single front top shock mounts breaking. Most people think more/bigger is better but i found it made the ride hard over corrugations (IMO) and will (once i have time) be removing the second shocks on the fronts. The one benefit to having done this is i beefed up the front top shock mounts which means the old common problem of that single mount breaking is removed. And yes, i think the monroes are good shocks and are cheap if you import them in bulk orders (say more than 4 or so).
Cheers, alister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz